Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-20-2006, 06:34 PM   #41
dogcatfud
Registered Member

Default Re: The Shame Among Us

I've seen stock Nighthawk pipes for sale on eBay.
dogcatfud is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-20-2006, 07:32 PM   #42
Karlton_Hamilton
Registered Member

Engine sound is part of what many enjoy about their bikes when they ride. I like a louder than stock exhaust on my bikes--Vance & Hines Big Shots on my Fat Boy, Triumph TORS on my Triumph Thruxton, and Akrapovic slip ons on my R1. All are louder than stock and could annoy if I revved my bike at every stop or when I was leaving the driveway.

To me, the answer is what I hope most do when they ride. Leave the revving for the open road or far away from most people (ie while riding on country roads).

Revving a loud piped bike is like blowing cigarette smoke into the face of a non-smoker. Keep the noise down and drop the revs when cruising about town.

My .02
Old 06-20-2006, 07:44 PM   #43
caffine
Registered Member

Let's look at the source of the problem. Chicks who put out dig loud pipes...esp Harleys. Take away the noise and the offensive competing male will have to lift weights and get a respectable job.

caffine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 07:49 PM   #44
caffine
Registered Member

And I'm talking about the pipes that crack chimney mortar .
caffine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 07:56 PM   #45
nweaver
Founding Member

Default There ARE laws...

They just arent enforced. EVERY single loud piped bike is a riding fixit-ticket, that only needs a cop to bother to pull them over.

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 09:08 PM   #46
ian_orange
Registered Member

Fred says they exceed the legal noise limits. So why isn't someone doing something 'bout it.

Seems the root of all this sort of stuff (loud noise on bikes, idiots doing crazy stuff in all sorts of vehicles, you name it) is 'cos of what I reckon is - No Fear of Retribution!

It happens because they can get away with it. It almost gets to the point where there's so much of it that it's almost impossible to stop it.

Not sure what we do about it though.

ian_orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 09:12 PM   #47
Gritboy
Founding Member

Default Re: Loud Pipes Externalize Costs - Tax 'em!

I second the V-Strom 650 review... it's not called my stealth-bike for nothin'. By the time someone hears me buzzing by, I'm already way past them. As a DP bike with "quiet" pipes, on my wee strom I'm able to ride in the pavement and trails around people and animals without upsetting the moment an get some great photos. There's nothing wrong with a nice engine rumble or whine (Ducs, Guzzi's & Triumphs sound great stock, while I like the whine of some fours too), it just doesn't need to sound like an elephant stampede coming down the road.
Gritboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 09:16 PM   #48
bluesman_ip
Founding Member

Well, I do like sound of my Superhawk with Arrows (kinda very much Ducati-like) but I am getting impression that my bike is just half as loud as average straight pipe HD.

There is something else I spotted - I never understood guys on straight pipes HDs and other cruisers blipping trottle at traffic lights and "giving it all" off lights. This is one thing that goes to 99% of HD owners. No offence, but it always leaves me with impression that their bikes not in order and will stall if they will keep it at idle or get off lights at low rpm.

I also never understood twisting wrist too much in towns - in Europe sound level is limited by law, so we all risking it with race pipes and this is not nice to draw in more attention from cops.

Actually, typical custom straighpiper noise is so bad that on one of charity rides I remember even bikers were stopping next to few idiots on some "customs" asking them to go to back of line cos everybody behind those loud guys been pissed off (including me).

I just do not see point in producing so much sound without corresponding bhp and mph.

Now about image - IMHO as Fred was affected by that situation for sake of motorcyclist image he should have walked to guys at traffic lights and politely tell them that they can at least stop opening it up until out of town center. That would stop people in restaurant going on about "SUV vs. biker" etc.
bluesman_ip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 09:40 PM   #49
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

I've got a 2 brothers can on my VFR that makes a very nice sound when you wind the whee out of it, and perfectly civilized if you behave yourself in urban areas, or anywhere that winding the whee out of it is not appropriate. To conjure up that amplified goats blat that straight pipes produce in areas full of non bikers is just a pitiful cry for attention that real adults don't need.
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 09:42 PM   #50
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

3 db is more that it appears to be. It's not a linear scale. I would say that 3db is more significant than he thinks it is.
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote