Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-20-2006, 04:56 PM   #31
OhioSteve
Founding Member

Default Re: The Shame Among Us

I can understand why the author would be angry at the bikers in his story. They were just jerks.

However, I am somewhat hesitant to say "we should not allow loud pipes". The thing is, what one person considers "loud" another person considers "not so loud". Regulations should mandate a specific decibel level at a specific distance. It should not be a subjective standard.

Incidentally, some of these pipes are just stupid to have on your bike. Yeah you want it to be louder than a car, but "volume" and "coolness" are not synonyms. I could take the muffler off of my 2000 Ford Taurus, and it would be damn loud. But that would make me a jackass, not a badass.
OhioSteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-20-2006, 04:58 PM   #32
nesbit
Founding Member

Where are the cops and why aren't they enforcing the existing noise abatement laws on a per case basis? Like so many other quality of life issues today the existing traffic anti-noise codes are not being enforced, which may eventually lead, as well, to wholesale punishment of those who are not in violation at all, thru outright bans or whatever. Even the military abandoned group punishment back in the '60s (known then as Company punishment), recognizing that it was fundamentally unConstitutional and counter-productive to good order. We've got hundreds of thousands of cops across the country. Again, where are they? What are they doing? Isn't their primary venue still essentially traffic control? Guess they're otherwise occupied or unable to see or hear the offenders. Bizarre! Never had this problem when I was on the job.
nesbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 05:04 PM   #33
Buzglyd
Founding Member

You only beat KP by 430 miles. You need to step it up a little. He's gaining on you.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 05:04 PM   #34
obandoj
Founding Member

You nailed it right on the head Fred!

All these insecure, immature jerks are going to ruin it for the rest of us, and it has nothing to do with youth, most of the loud pipe $hitheads are over 40 re-entry riders, and they are the ones who crash and burn on the weekends too.
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 05:05 PM   #35
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Maybe I could get those pipe peddlers in the ECOC (Evil Capitalist Oppressors Club).
Old 06-20-2006, 05:08 PM   #36
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Most of the cops ride open pipe customs.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:32 PM   #37
DC_Dave
Founding Member

Default Loud Pipes Externalize Costs - Tax 'em!

I won't argue that cruiser riders get some enjoyment from their loud pipes-- it must be a powerful feeling making all that noise.

The problem is their enjoyment comes at a cost to the rest of us, motorcyclist and non-motorcyclist alike.

When other motorcyclists subject me to their deafening racket so they can enjoy themselves, they're externalizing the cost of their enjoyment on me-- and they're not compensating me for it.

A great way to get those folks to internalize the costs is to institute a dB tax-- let's say $100/dB/year. That means that every time you double the volume of your pipes over to stock, you're going to pony up $300.

That way you can enjoy those lifesaving loud pipes if you pay for them.

I'm a lifelong motorcyclist, and I've lost sleep and been forced to sleep with earplugs in because of loud pipes. Unfortunately, loud pipes are favored by folks that probably won't be sticking around in the sport long enough to see the effects of their handiwork.

Since I'll probably be riding for the rest of my life, these loud pipe enthusiasts are going to be sticking me with the bill.

Hey, MO, how about a review of the DL650?!? What, not enough SV650 fans around here for you guys?
Old 06-20-2006, 05:37 PM   #38
DonM
Founding Member

Default Re: The Blame Among Us

So you have the cops direct bikers off the highway and over to a sound meter on a tripod. If they make noise over the legal limit the cops give them a ticket. The second time they are caught with a loud bike they walk home. Problem solved. State deficit solved. Sparrows return to Capistrano.

Write the govna if the sound bothers you.
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 06:02 PM   #39
theovenmits
Founding Member

Can't help it, gotta chime in here: So is Fred too good for us now that he's eating in a nice restaurant? Are these bikers not allowed to enjoy the same beautiful day? That's the feel I'm getting from his down-the-nose slanted article - "Oh, the injustice of it all!" - Get used to it! There are plenty of injustices to pick from, there are plenty of unenforced laws to pick from, but what does Fred whine about? Less than one minute of distraction.

For the record, I agree that loud pipes are stupid and don't save anything, and the worst offenders of noise restrictions will eventually hurt all of us - but hey, we knew that before Fred dialed 1-800-922-2224.
theovenmits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 06:25 PM   #40
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Y'know - spuds are only like $5 for a 10-lb bag. Use several, stacked one-atop another, atop another, atop another..........

He'll probably get the hint then, you think?
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote