Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-26-2006, 07:30 PM   #251
LiionsRest
Registered Member

Default Re: The Shame Among Us

I was at the recent Virginia Moto Guzzi rally in Buena Vista, and won a door prize. I got a hat, but should have opted instead for the T-Shirt that reads:

"Loud valves save lives"

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-28-2006, 02:00 PM   #252
imperial
Founding Member

I totally agree with you and think your comments are very good.I ride a Guzzi breva on the road,a KTM 640 off road and race a Ktm 450exc in enduro tracks and ultra loud is not necesary to have fun. Motorcycling is much more than that.
imperial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 08:25 AM   #253
Flickmeister
Registered Member

The stealth (spelled q-u-i-e-t) approach is the best way to ride if you own a sportbike. First, quiet allows you to focus more attention on your riding. Second, you will (p)iss off far less of an already angry public towards motorcyclists. Third, you will attract far less attention from the local gendarmes. Even with earplugs, my completely stock Gixxer Thou' emits a really pleasant, raspy tone from the airbox. The other benefit, especially on the '05-'06 GSXR1000s is I've seen several people put on a loud pipe and Power Commander and get 5 to 8 less horsepower than stock. My bike's throttle response is virtually perfect and God knows, you can't come close to using even 50% of it's power on the street just the way it comes out of the crate. V-twins aren't the only culprits. Sportbike riders are even worse, especially when doing wheelies in town and between car lanes on the highway. So many immature riders riders have created this horrendous image that desperately needs to be repaired. Like Fred said, if we don't police our own, sooner or later, the government will and that will really suck.
Flickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 02:35 PM   #254
rpolichetti
Founding Member

Gosh! There are so many comments this one will probably never be read! Ever! But what the heck. I agree with the article and most all you folks, ranting and otherwise.

Rant:

I was vacationing with my three kids and girlfriend to Yosemite on 4th of July 2006. You know hwy 41, the tunnel, bridal falls? Well we were standing there like all the other tourists admiring the beauty when a hog starts South entering the tunnel and GUNS the throtle EXTRA EXTRA just to hear it in the tunnel. I thought "what the heck for?" Is making noise more important than all the first time tourists getting their first glimpse of God's best art work? It was not a loud bike: he MADE it loud. What a jerk.

End Rant.

rpolichetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 06:19 PM   #255
bentbourne
Registered Member

Well now, a writer that speaks out for the 98% of us. Noise, noise noise. you know what the sayiing has come to be" the noiser the pipes the smaller the ****"

Having ridden my whole life (if I knew I was gonna live this long I would have looked after myself a little better) from a patched 1% in my late teens and twenties to a old style classic rider now, and the straight pipes are a total pain in the earhole. How do they get away with it when I was busted within blocks of the clubhouse?

Who needs noise? Walk quietly and carry a big stick.

Now a little "tone"makes it all seem so good at the redline but unbaffled big inches are too much, any way in my humble opinion it's just the wanna bes that wanna be noticed and not get the breeze in your beard.

bent

Old 07-09-2006, 01:05 PM   #256
aaponacire
Registered Member

MO - I could not agree with you more on the loud-pipe issue. Eventually, the bone-heads with the open pipes and eager throttle hands(Chopper and Sportbike alike) will end up getting motorcycles banned from many a location.

"Hey - we just got banned from St Augustine, FL!"

"Wow - that's really cool!"

"I know - who likes riding along the coast anyway - just a bunch of fresh air, water, and all that crap "

Just my $0.02 - Ride safe brothers

aaponacire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 03:36 PM   #257
fitnessguy
Founding Member

Good article Mo and very relavent.

fitnessguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 08:49 AM   #258
chise
Founding Member

I really enjoyed this article. It made me stop and think. I enjoy riding through The Great Smokey Mountains National Park. I fear that one day the load pipers will have us banned for good.

That would be a shame amongst us.
chise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 05:30 PM   #259
nycsker
Founding Member

Oh for cryin' out loud. Another "philosopher" who can't stick to the point and talk about an issue. Why? Because there are "so many other more important things we should worry about." In other words, human beings can't have a discussion about any issue unless morons like this say it's "OKAY" for us to talk about it. Ironic that he spouts patriotism while, in the same post, *****ing about our freedom to discuss ANY topic we want to. Funny, but this guy is the one who needs to get some perspective.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:58 PM   #260
STROMSKI
Founding Member

I admit, I am a culprit.

I put Hard Krome pipes on an old Suzuki Marauder that I leave at my country place. I am not a "loud pipe person", but the stock set had been damaged...

Anyway, I pulled in to the rural general store to get some gas and the old farts on the bench out front wouldn't talk to me. Us, actually--and my wife is hot! This is the first time this has happened (three years in the area and three different bikes). I didn't hear anything, myself, but my wife told me later that she heard a "...sure is loud" comment as she took her helmet off.

I have to look in to packing some fiberglass in to the things. To quote Winchester from M.A.S.H. "I don't care about the others, but I offend myself".
STROMSKI is offline   Reply With Quote