Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-22-2006, 10:46 AM   #231
MOwings
Founding Member

Default Re: The Shame Among Us

The way I figure it people's rights to be loud end where others ears begin. Same goes for loud cars, dogs barking, loud music on someones stereo, etc. About the only thing I want to hear is people mowing their lawns.
MOwings is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-22-2006, 11:37 AM   #232
gaardvark
Founding Member

Let's put a different spin on it. How do you feel about the cars that drive by your house and force you to turn up the TV with their subwoofers.

I live by a fairly busy road. I don't care if it's a Harley or a road racer with his/her 500 watt stereo.

I don't like it!
gaardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 03:18 PM   #233
drew2931
Founding Member

The timing of this article is interesting. I am just getting back into biking after missing it for 25 years. In fact, I have not even bought a bike yet - renting until I figure out what I want to buy.

I rented a BMW R-1200RT for a trip to the beach on Father's Day weeked to meet the rest of my family who had gone on ahead of me.

When I arrived at the resort on a fully stock, very quiet Beemer, wearing my full-coverage helmet and TourMaster armored, air-flow jacket, nice dark blue jeans, polished boots and gloves (and short hair!) - I was the epitome of the 50 yo gentleman biker. However, I was stopped at the guarded entrance and told that "NO MOTORCYCLES ARE ALLOWED ON THE RESORT PROPERTY".

The guards were nice about it, but insisted that I had to leave the bike in a parking lot outside the resort and take the tram in. When I asked about it, they told me they had had so many complaints from the property owners and guests about the noise from motorcyclists cruising around the property, they finally decided to ban all motorcycles.

So, while not mandated by the gov't, this is one instance where motorcyclists are already losing a place to ride...
drew2931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 03:24 PM   #234
Fenton
Founding Member

Default Oh, we agree on some things.

I didn't see your response, until now. We may agree on a whole bunch of bike topics, but unless that coffee was freshly ground, sitting in a REI mug in the Volvo's cup holder we're going to run out of topics.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 07:05 PM   #235
DonM
Founding Member

Default Re: The Blame Among Us

Darn, I did look up the spelling for Capistrano, and should have caught the mistake.
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 08:37 AM   #236
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Loud pipes save squirrels. They don't seem to hear cars and I don't hear of many Harleys running over squirrels. They do indeed serve a function.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 09:48 AM   #237
cota
Registered Member

Bike Bandit:

Vance & Hines Street 4-into-1 Megaphone Systems (Honda CB750 1991-2002)

Beautifully finished in brilliant chrome plating. Baffle delivers performance and meets noise standards. Tuned-length headpipe, tapered megaphone and collector. Oil filter and drain plug access is ample, and cornering clearance is improved. $300.00 Mellow sound...
cota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 11:51 AM   #238
SDharpman
Founding Member

Well now, that's interesting. Obviously some of you who replied don't live in So Cal. The cagers here don't do the speed limit, they almost ALWAYS have their windows rolled up, they are constantly on their $#(*U$ ing cell phones, in short--- they aren't paying attention to their driving!!! And the horn thing, yea, well if it wasn't illegal to mount 18 wheeler air horns to my bike, then I MIGHT be heard!!! And as for my buddie coming to my rescue, had I not been in my lane right directly next to the passenger door on the drivers side where I could see the driver in his side view mirror, riding in a staggered formation as dictated by the motor vehicle code of the state of CA., then maybe I could have gotten out of his way!!! Seeing the look on the face of the SUV driver when he heard the sound of my buddies pipes, was proof of the pudding, so to say. Thanks for the input.
SDharpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 01:11 PM   #239
stickityplickity
Founding Member

Default Re: Just ain't worth it.

I've accepted the fact that I'm different from about 95% of the human beings on the planet. I say this because a day at Willow Springs or the local drag strip appeals to my ears more than any symphony. I like them loud and I like them fast. Unfortunately, since making my bike both loud AND fast, I've recieved so many noise complaints and citations from the sprawling suburbia hell town I live in, that just to save MONEY, I put the original factory pipes back on my bike. Half of the gripes were from places I was just riding BY. I didn't gun the motor or take off like a demon or anything. Maybe I'm just a deaf little hooligan, but good lord. A little tolerance from people would be nice. I guess those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music.
stickityplickity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 01:54 PM   #240
Karlton_Hamilton
Registered Member

Default Re: Sorry 'bout that. You are right...

You make a good point about the quiet in the country, and that some move there for that reason. I ride in the country not to make noise, but because there are twistier roads and fewer cars.

I'll keep it down a bit.

kah