Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   The Shame Among Us (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/3684-shame-among-us.html)

eekadog 06-21-2006 02:31 PM

Re: The Shame Among Us

you forget that most of us need a respectable job to buy a harley

DC_Dave 06-21-2006 03:06 PM

Re: Loud Pipes Externalize Costs - Tax 'em!

Guys, don't confuse me with those welfare statists in Washington, DC that just love to debase the currency in the never-ending quest to transfer wealth from the producers to the consumers. Last year, the Federales spent 26% of the US GDP. It's one of the articles on our home page. So, I'm the LAST guy that says "feed the Federales." The twisted brand of media hyped totalitarianism proliferating in the US has me browsing the one-way ticket section of Central American Airlines. Brazil, anyone?

I agree entirely re: who gets the dough is a problem. I was only thinking that we're getting an inefficient amount of loud pipes because of negative externalities.

Charging those bikers for their loud pipes will internalize the costs and lead to lower and more efficient levels of loud pipe activity.

However, in implementation, the state and local governments will be enforcing the laws, and those same state and local governments are pretty efficiently run (comparatively speaking, of course). That means that loud pipe fees would be going into the pockets (in the form of more services or less taxes) of those most likely to be affected by the loud pipes.

MRVW 06-21-2006 03:08 PM

Oh, golly. I was sitting in a latte bar with my significant other, and as I looked out over the poetry readers, breastfeeders, and other nutless statist retreads from the disgusting 1960's, and then a little further over their Volvos and Saabs in the parking area, I saw some fat guys making a loud noise. They even scared the seagulls!! Boy did I ever want to go poopoo on them! Instead, I'm sending $5 to the Democrats and another $1 to PBS. That will fix those job-holding, tax-paying morons!!

I could go on, but I need a Midol.

opie 06-21-2006 04:00 PM

I've been riding for 16 years and I've owned all kinds of bikes. I love all kinds of bikers. Fred, the problem with your essay is that the folks who agree with you already have bikes that don't assault the ears of those around them, and the a$$h@les who love loud pipes don't give a flying f@ck what you say. Let's start with the mindset that wants to make a racket everywhere they go, like little boys yelling, "Look at me!!! Look at me!! Am I big??? I am, aren't I???" Serious insecurity. Then let's think about the minds that think that loud pipes save lives. I think that most of them think that $10 novelty helmets save lives too, or, if they live in a state with no helmet law they think that loud pipes save lives, but not helmets. Those limit their freedom and cause neck injuries and limited lines of sight and all of that other bullsh*t we've heard for years. Yes, your article speaks the truth, but the guys with little brains and little winkies also have ears damaged from the incessant noise of straight pipes. They just can't hear you, my friend.

theovenmits 06-21-2006 04:08 PM

Comparing a poke in the eye with a loud noise is pretty asinine. What if the loud distraction was from a diesel semi clattering away at least as loud as any short pipe V-twin? Those diners are just as annoyed and distracted, but that trucker was just doing his job - nobody's going to stop that.

opie 06-21-2006 04:10 PM

I love vigilantes. Especially the anonymous ones like me.

opie 06-21-2006 04:22 PM

Re: Little math help?

I noticed that too. Funny counting.

opie 06-21-2006 04:26 PM

Guess I could've mentioned that I ride a Harley with stock pipes.

ratso4744 06-21-2006 04:38 PM

One of my bikes is a honda st1300 with two brothers carbon pipes.. while traveling through Cody Wyoming last summer, i noticed that the town was full of bikes for some event. as i pulled up to a stop sign, a couple walked by and the man told me that the honda was the quietest bike in town in a very appreciative way. of course, their is a difference between a 58 year old man riding a sport tourer, summer armor and a helmet and some pinhead in a t-shirt riding a twin that drowns out metal from my i-pod.

BrowningBAR 06-21-2006 05:26 PM

Re: KPaul and Longride do a cross-country ride ...

Hell, I'll chip in the whiskey and firearms for that story...