Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-21-2006, 12:27 PM   #181
anrajala
Founding Member

Default Re: The Shame Among Us

In Finland if the noise goes well beyond the spec dB the cops take your register plate. Yes they physically unscrew it. You get your bike re-registerd handily after doing an inspection, where they find out it doesn´t pass the emission test. Then you start wondering to which ex wife you gave the door handle that you made out of the original camshaft.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-21-2006, 12:28 PM   #182
dmc42421
Registered Member

I don't live in town and if you think that it is any less annoying out of the city, you are as dumb as you sound. Some of the best sounding bikes I have ever heard were/are L-twins. Fortunately, these weren't "unbaffled", just tweaked. I stood next to an SV the other day with aftermarket pipes that enhanced the rumble of the twin. It's jerks who have little peckers, big egos and bad hearing who need to blast.

Put an MP3 player with recorded noise in your noggin and leave the rest of us enjoy some sanity.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:45 PM   #183
farinosa
Founding Member

Unless you can get the Ford Expletive driver to subscribe here and write in that it was indeed your riding buddy's "life saving" pipes that made him correct his lane change, you can only surmise. He could have been deaf, (yes, Virginia, deaf people drive motor vehicles). Or, maybe Barry Manilow or Metallica was crankin' on the stereo.

How about: it was the appearance of two headlights side-by-side that made the driver snap to think there was another automobile in the next lane?

It's all just hand-waving without the testimony of the cage monkey in question.
farinosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 12:53 PM   #184
Couchracer
Founding Member

I have agree with the commentary... Motorcyclists are far their own worst enemy. Between the Yuppsters with their straight pipes and the Juvenile 18-20ish crowd screaming down the road at 100 plus, I believe tough legislation against us is imminent.

Im a rider, and also a law enforcement officer. At least in Florida, there is already legislation against loud pipes, its just something thats not enforced all that much...for now. We will continue to ***** off the general public and things will change. I see 100HP limits for all motorcycles (Believe me when I say its being talked about, the law is in affect in many europrean countries), and many $100.00+ citations for the stupid loud pipes.
Couchracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:02 PM   #185
Buzglyd
Founding Member

PVC pipe, hairspray and a flint will shoot a potato really really far.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:12 PM   #186
ncelik
Registered Member

BRAVO! Well said.

Let's call it what it is: noise polution. Those bikes have broken pipes which are not doing what they should - prevent polution.

The only thing they serve is the ego of the rider. Unfortunately for the poser with broken pipes most people's opinion of him/her is in direct opposite proportion to the noise they make.

ncelik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:32 PM   #187
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default Re: Another viewpoint

I have a Buell Ulysses also.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:33 PM   #188
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default Re: Another viewpoint

Patty, you are such a manly wordmeister.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:53 PM   #189
ramair154
Registered Member

Frankly, if the loud pipe crowd were really concerned about their safety, they might wear riding gear instead of t shirts, or God forbid, a good helmet. I think it's more of a ' hey everyboby look at me' sort of mindset.
ramair154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 03:09 PM   #190
BimotaRich
Founding Member

I couldnt agree more... Dont get me wrong I love the sound of a nice bike... but noise for the sake of noise is wrong headed, and courtesy is always appreciated. Here in Japan we have our own noise problems with bikers... but along with Harley gangs (which we do have of course - but who tend to be polite - walkign their bikes through neighborhoods, shutting them off at lights) we also have Bosozoku... who are young riders on modified small displacement bikes with LOUD pipes and even louder riding styles (basically constant throttle revving with the clutch only partly engaged for the sole purpose of making racquet). To add insult to injury they especially like to ride slowlyin groups at nite or the wee hours of the morning revving their engines insanely and blocking traffic. You meet the nicest people on a Honda... and some of the biggest assholes! Keep it down to a mild roar please for all of us bikers and non bikers alike.