Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-21-2006, 09:25 AM   #161
maxriderdon
Founding Member

Default Re: The Shame Among Us

Ok, Actually I think we may be saying the same thing but in different ways. I am at least half wrong. Here's what I mean to say: If you use two audio power amps 1 a 100W and the other a 200W, the 200W will not "sound" twice as loud even though it has twice the power. My bad. Does that make sense?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-21-2006, 09:26 AM   #162
gedwardj
Registered Member

That I can believe, I am the survivor of many heavy metal club shows and I know for a fact that earplugs often make the band easier to hear and make me hate life a lot less the next day.

I think the thing is, if loud pipes save lives because they make other people hear you, isn't it a zero sum gain when you can't hear anyone else (especially when, in addition to your loud pipes you've got your iPod on)>
gedwardj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 09:37 AM   #163
SquireJim
Founding Member

HERE, HERE...or is that HEAR, HEAR? Look...We all love to ride, or we wouldn't be hear readin' all of this stuff. Problem is, we'd like to believe that "Motorcycle Rights" are a one way street...That is, that cagers need to recognize and respect us! Well, ya get whay ya give in life, and if we want their respect, we need to treat them the same way we want to be treated. Look, folks can justify just about any wrong behavior if it means they get to keep doing what they want...Isn't this just another example of that sort of thing? How about this?...Legal pipes, with a continuous recording of open drag pipes on you iPod, so you can think you sound bad and everyone else can tolerate you...Loud pipes save lives?...no...They just hurt our cause...
SquireJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 09:38 AM   #164
pplassm
Founding Member

Sound issues are now huge in the off-road community, especially after what happened in Riverside county, CA.

If you didn't hear, new county ordinances pretty much shut down off-road riding on private property.

And the riders did it to themselves.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:40 AM   #165
bikervince
Founding Member

OT-

And let's leave it like this - please. I don't need or want some stupid flash intro or a half-dozen java applets to be launched every time I enter this site. I want plain old readable text in black and white.

bikervince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 09:47 AM   #166
pattonme
Founding Member

Default don't do it.

your bike has the Tim Hodge mod. It changes sound almost not at all but greatly enhances the backpressure (reduces it) so the engine will spool up.

Now if you had a nice Yosh street pipe on the bike, you'd really learn what that nice motor can sound like and still be very, very civil.
pattonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 09:52 AM   #167
bechtoea
Founding Member

Seems to me that if you have a car with excessively loud pipes, you get a citation. When it comes to motorcycles, if the authorities would bust out on these folks for their "off road only" pipes, this is a non issue.
bechtoea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 10:01 AM   #168
draffety
Registered Member

I totally agree.

Not having a bike with loud pipes, I can only imagine that it would be difficult at best to hear anything else around you.

When riding on the streets you need all of your senses - especially sight AND hearing. The last thing you want to do is to depend upon other drivers seeing you or hearing you. Best advice is to assume that they do not see you - then ride accordingly.

Eventually you get to the point where you can almost predict what other drivers are going to do before they know it themselves.

draffety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 10:02 AM   #169
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Default Re: 60 miles!

Set it up!

It will be like the Bigfoot of MO. Photo documentation of KPaul. That's worth the $11.94 right there.

Just make sure the camera is in focus.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 10:15 AM   #170
Mashuri
Founding Member

Default Absolutely!

I think a Harley sounds much better with a good set of Kerkers or something similar. Very nice bass tones and not ear-splitting. They sound like sh*t with straight pipes, regardless of volume. I currently have a Ducati 999s with a full Termi system and it's pretty damn loud. Regardless, I get far more thumbs-up and "Nice bike!" responses from the general public than I ever have on any other motorcycle. The noise does get me noticed too. Compared to the VFR I had before, when I'm lane splitting, my observation is that drivers notice me sooner and move out of the way. Since the Viffer had much brighter headlights I can only conclude that it's the louder V-twin making the difference. Just my own anecdotal experience.
Mashuri is offline   Reply With Quote