Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-21-2006, 09:02 AM   #151
bigdx
Founding Member

Default Re: The Shame Among Us

Give the guy a break. The disenfranchised need to blame something other that their own inadequacies.
bigdx is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-21-2006, 09:04 AM   #152
davidhaner
Founding Member

Default Re: 60 miles!

You know the word story has the word 'story' in it. Just because there's a story doesn't mean there's a ride. You'll have to ride to Seattle yourself, or Newport Hills, or whatever fancy place he thinks he lives in, go on a ride with him, and prove the reality. Then YOU do a story. Take one for the team.
davidhaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 09:05 AM   #153
bigdx
Founding Member

Yep, all ricers are embarrassed when they hear a real bike start Â…
Old 06-21-2006, 09:06 AM   #154
sarnali
Founding Member

Depends on how adventurous.... I have the T100, not the Scrambler so it's strictly a road bike. The Scrambler has longer suspension and an available skid plate so I think that would do fire roads pretty easy. That is if you can put up with a vertical twin Brit without the 360 firing order....(I couldn't)...

The bike's an absolute blast though, just like the old days without all the nonsense..

sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 09:07 AM   #155
bigdx
Founding Member

Default What's a fat ticket?

Old 06-21-2006, 09:08 AM   #156
pplassm
Founding Member

Here's a link to some comments from the "industry":

From Motorcycle Product News

Old 06-21-2006, 09:09 AM   #157
gedwardj
Registered Member

This is my first ever post, I'm pretty sure I've read everything in this thread. Please forgive me if I break some MO decorum, or if I repeat something someone's already pointed out, but I have a question.

If you have loud pipes because they make you more noticable in traffic, and you get killed because your pipes were so loud that you didn't hear the 16 year old in the Civic with the 3" exhaust and triplane wing, who's too busy watching his in-dash DVD player to pay attention to you, is that irony?

Now, full disclosure, I have an in-dash DVD player in my car and I consider a freer flowing intake and exhaust system pretty much mandatory equipment on any modified automobile. Shoot, I don't even own a bike. My wife got me MSF dirt courses for my birthday last year and we're both taking the beginner street course this fall (she wanted a scooter, I refused to sign off on it until she took an MSF course, so she figured if she's going to take the course she's going to get a motorcycle). What I'm saying is, I'm no expert here, I might even be a bit of a hypocrite (although, "freer flowing" isn't the same as "obnoxious and loud).

However, I've just never been able to reconcile the "loud pipes save lives" rhetoric with the fact that almost every person I know who rides (ESPECIALLY those with loud pipes) either wears earplugs or headphones while riding. So, it's safer for other people to hear YOU, but not for YOU to hear OTHER PEOPLE?

Could someone explain that to me, 'cos, you know, again, I'm new to the whole MC thing and I might be missing something.
gedwardj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 09:20 AM   #158
draffety
Registered Member

FWIW, when wearing earplugs and riding, it is MUCH easier to hear other vehicles - especially on the highway. In my experience, earplugs filter out high frequencies like wind noise, etc. making it easier to hear lower frequencies like tires and engines. When you get your license, give it a try.
draffety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 09:23 AM   #159
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: 60 miles!

I'm in.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:23 AM   #160
MOwings
Founding Member

Yet, Iv'e survived 21 years riding with stock pipes somehoe. Sure, Iv'e shared my lane with a few cagers, though less and less the more the years and my experience pile on. A good rider usually has a way out and doesn't rely on loud pipes to save him.
MOwings is offline   Reply With Quote