Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-21-2006, 08:12 AM   #141
Z1chopper
Founding Member

Default Re: The Shame Among Us

I ride Harley Custom and a Kawasaki ZX14 and I have never understood the appeal of big groups of any kind of bikes roaring around. I have always ridden alone and can really enjoy the riding experience fast or slow without having to get on the nerves of anyone. Most people I see wave at me. Little kids point and I can make some noise and the kids giggle and then, off I go. No problem. Maybe the real problems come from groups of week end riders intimidating drivers. We have a problem and I think it's the mob mentallity. Most people are much smarter one on one and more curtious. The bike industry gets our money easier if they sponser big rides full of idiots that all need every bit of equipment the can buy. You need these pipes and this and that blah blah blah. Buy Buy crap that doesn't make the riding experience any better.

I will be the one going the other way and having fun.

Steve

Z1chopper is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-21-2006, 08:14 AM   #142
schizuki
Founding Member

"Now my bike (VN800A) at that time had stock exhaust and at freeway speed, the horn is USELESS."

Then get an aftermarket horn, genius. It's the first thing I do with a new bike.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 08:32 AM   #143
fugusaurus
Founding Member

Default The Fart-noises Amongst Us

I've been calling them "Fartly-Davidsons" for a long time for a good reason.

Who needs a cheap 99 cent whoopie cushion when you can buy a $20k fart-noise-maker?

Permanent Junior High School fun!
fugusaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 08:33 AM   #144
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default Re: Another viewpoint

Quit your whining you lilly livered puassies.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 08:40 AM   #145
GrisoDG
Founding Member

ASSHOLES. Every single one of them.
GrisoDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 08:45 AM   #146
Mooner
Founding Member

"it's like liking the smell of your own farts"

Okay, but can loud pipes ever be really really funny? (I suppose it all relates to the company you keep
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 08:49 AM   #147
buellerbud
Registered Member

Default Re: Another viewpoint

Hmm...You must be one of those loud-piped,

harley riding "puassies"
buellerbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 08:50 AM   #148
bboule
Founding Member

I thought this was an old column too.. did this originally run in MCN?

It is such a fine line between taking too much away and getting it right. I would hope people can learn to make cans that sound good without being excessively loud.

It seems like many new sportbikes with the catalytic converter in a separate "pod" are able to be modified in such a way as to keep the catalytic converter, put on aftermarket muffler(s), and sound good without being stupidly loud. My VFR is like this, and the Triumph 1050 motor is like this too.

The problem going forward seems to be race reps having the cataltytic converter in the race element. Change the muffler, you lost the cat and it's rudimentary baffling, cause the bike to be really really loud.

Or the cruiser... how and wear do you hide an ugly cat on a cruiser. How do you design a performance pipe for a cruiser with the classic look that is not excessively loud. Seems like the answer is a pipe like on the Yamaha Warrior.. which almost everyone seems to say is unforgiveably ugly.

I don't know enough about cruisers but you would hope H-D and others can relaunch a new line of pipes that gives people the performance they want, the "tone" of sound people want, and a manageable level of noise. (IMO the Buell XB9/XB12 motors have an awesome stock exhaust note so it can be done on a V-twin.. but those mufflers would also be unacceptably ugly on a cruiser.)
bboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 08:56 AM   #149
maxriderdon
Founding Member

Default Re: What is the Legal Limit?

Ain't got no OEM exhaust, guess it don't apply to me. LOL
Old 06-21-2006, 08:58 AM   #150
MOwings
Founding Member

Dam straight Fred. You da man. I saw this in MCN a few months ago and nothing has changed yet. Even on the ninja 650 board you have people asking what the loudest pipe is. There are two Harleys with non stock pipes in our neighborhood and my brother and I with our stock pipe ninja and VFR and we are embarassed every time they start their bikes up.
MOwings is offline   Reply With Quote