Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-21-2006, 07:11 AM   #131
imperial
Founding Member

Default Re: The Shame Among Us

Definitivamente xtra loud exhaust pipes in the streets equals "please see me, Iam brave" but 99 % of the time is far from reality and that is specially true with custom bikes owners.There is still 1 % left to avoid offences...
imperial is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-21-2006, 07:41 AM   #132
SDharpman
Founding Member

Well after reading all the other comments on the "loud pipes" issue, I felt it necessary to relate an experience that happened to me "personally". I was on a ride with the my local VROC club and we were roll'n down the superslab, a nice stretch of 4 lane highway. As we were "slowly" passing a line of cagers, the driver of a Ford Expedition, the biggest damn SUV on the road, decided to come into my lane, while I was still in it. Now my bike (VN800A) at that time had stock exhaust and at freeway speed, the horn is USELESS, I just started looking for an escape route, one of my riding buddies with his 1500 Vulcan with Bub exhaust pipes accelerated up along side me, making enough "noise" to get the attention on the driver of the SUV just in time to prevent me from becoming a "grease spot" on the concrete. So I agree that "extremely loud pipes" are annoying, but SOME noise is beneficial to keep from becoming "fodder" for the cagers that don't look where they are going when changing lanes. P.S. I now have V&H pipes on my bike and people know I'm there when I go down the road.
SDharpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 07:54 AM   #133
schizuki
Founding Member

Default Re: loud pipes in the country

Exactly.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 07:55 AM   #134
stockler
Registered Member

Default How long is your pipe?

This is a classic Freudian issue, with deep roots in social moulding, insecurity, often times closely followed by a c o m p l e t e lack of mechanical knowledge.

Interesting enough, Harleys and their metric copycats, by far, are the majority of the offenders and their riders the most likely to benefit from a few years of therapy with Mr Freud.

It's all about how thick, how long, how loud and how much attention your pipe can get.

It's also all about having a pipe that is different than every other pipe around.

And it is also about comparing the size and the results of each otherÂ’s pipes.

Freud is smiling somewhere. Trust me.

When you talk to, or hear the talk, of a gross offender - bike type aside - you understand why. Sport bikes, usually twins of Italian descent may sometimes fall in that category too... and thatÂ’s comic because, for Italians, itÂ’s all about one's pipe too. Metric sport bikes are a bit less prone to offend too bad at idle /mid-range, their owners usually limited to their dB displays by Charles Darwin laws. Since they need a lot of space to make enough sound before someone looks at their pipes and before they annihilate themselves, tunnels and canyons are used as amplifiers. I could go making jokes about the problem with the size of pipes in the country where these bikes are made, but I wont. Oops. Too late.

Rat bikes are big time offenders too... but people tend to concentrate on the harley crowd because maybe, just maybe, they are afraid the owner will to pull a Johnny Rotten on them or they still have images of Mad Max and the Kawa gang pursuing them.

In Germany, interestingly enough, big time dB offending is not too common; my guess being no one wants to confront the annual TÃœV inspection squad on their black rubber uniforms. So, they compensate it in other ways. They have Veronica Moser.

Hell, the same type of behaviour you can see in Air Shows all across the country this summer: The F-16, F-18, F15 etc guys are the hot dudes with their big afterburner equipped pipes, while the poor bastard on the A-10 has to compensate for his lack of piping with, you guessed it, the largest, longest, and loudest gun in the show. Then, when the glider guy comes with his pure flight display, only a few watch, while most think it's intermission time to go get more food in or get some out to make some more room. Few on the crowd, however, realize that although the guy on the glider may not have the biggest or loudest pipe, he sure has the largest balls and, just perhaps, the greatest skills. Deep inside I know, however, that the glider pilot is also proud of how his glider is shaped, if you know what I mean. Freud smiles, yet again.

Serious now, the only way to quiet down the gang is by taxing sound, hitting offenders on their most sensitive body part, the bank account. The gvmnt is good at that, but there are better sources of money available that generate far less controversy. Else, it's just human, err, male, nature. Just look at the Tsar Cannon, for that matter.

We have to realize we either keep it civilized or go to the track. Else, we will loose the sex appeal of riding.

Old 06-21-2006, 08:02 AM   #135
schizuki
Founding Member

"Cal me a squid, call me irresponsible, call me whatever you want. "

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't want to stop at "squid" and "irresponsible."

"I much prefer that my bike does NOT sound like a sewing machine, and there are a hell of a lot of riders who would stand behind me on that."

I-I-I. Me-me-me. Narcississtic a$$hole.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:04 AM   #136
schizuki
Founding Member

"The US economy is in the toilet"

That pretty much destroyed the credibility of the rest of your post.

Old 06-21-2006, 08:06 AM   #137
Andonyx
Registered Member

Default Little math help?

<blockquote>five motorcycles pulled up to this light. Like most motorcyclists, I immediately identified the machines in my mind: One Harley Fat Boy, one Harley Softail, two Kawasaki Vulcans, a Yamaha Road Star and a Honda VTX.</blockquote>

Wow, five motorcyclists pulled up on six bikes.

How the hell does that work?
Old 06-21-2006, 08:07 AM   #138
schizuki
Founding Member

Default Re: Another viewpoint

"I figure if a guy wants to batter his eardrums into deafness then that is his own affair. Sure, the rest of us has to hear it but only for a few seconds usually."

Um, multiply "a few seconds" by twenty or so bikes a day going past my house when I'm home. Or twenty or so bikes going past an outdoor cafe over the course of an hour or two. Sheesh.

Old 06-21-2006, 08:11 AM   #139
schizuki
Founding Member

"And don't start saying "well, sportbikes are loud, too" because we all know 9 out of 10 times the loudest things out there are V-twin cruisers with straight pipes."

More like 97 out of 100, if my street is typical.

Old 06-21-2006, 08:11 AM   #140
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: 60 miles!

Just do the ride and the story. Then we don't have to wonder.