Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-21-2006, 05:42 AM   #111
kawazuki
Founding Member

Default Re: Loud Pipes Externalize Costs - Tax 'em!

I mean, don't get me wrong. I think you're on the right track with this talk of externalised costs. I just think your specific proposal has some holes regarding who gets reimbursed for the costs imposed.

-Kawazuki
kawazuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-21-2006, 05:43 AM   #112
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: The Shame Among Us

Dude! Hoe ya like the Bonnie? Do you think it would make a good adventure tourer with a set of aggressive tires?
Old 06-21-2006, 05:44 AM   #113
stebuz
Registered Member

Do you know at what distance this is measured?
stebuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 05:44 AM   #114
bbtowns
Founding Member

What ticks me off is pipes that are loud at idle, I mean I'm no fan of loud pipes period, but why the hell do they have to be loud while idling? Blipping the throttle is worse, why the hell would you do this, it's like liking the smell of your own farts.

I have to say I recently bought an Aprilia Tuono with crazy loud pipes. I've got aftermarket pipes on my Ducati (with quiet baffle), but the Aprilia is ridiculously loud. It's embarassing to ride. Have new pipe on the way to quiet it down.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:46 AM   #115
kawazuki
Founding Member

Default Re: Loud Pipes Externalize Costs - Tax 'em!

Furthermore show me the actual cost to fix the problem for the injured party. Earplugs are cheap! Therefor the cost to fix this negative externality is quite low.

Not quite accurate, really. Sure, the mechanical part of the solution is quite cheap. But there's also an opportunity cost involved in being forced to wear earplugs all day to avoid having your hearing mangled by monkeys on noisy bikes.

But I agree, it needs to be solved somehow, before people get so annoyed they start stringing clotheslines across the road when bikes ride past.

-Kawazuki
kawazuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 05:47 AM   #116
pdad13
Founding Member

Ah, geez, I've already got a first generation Xbox sitting around after recently being supplanted by a 360. Now I've got to get a PS2?

I've invested too much money so I can just play MotoGP, football, hockey, and a military game or two (nothing relaxes better than killing a truckload of Nazis). But I've heard Tourist Trophy is great...and it's kind of tempting.

I've been playing the new MotoGP '06 for the 360 (after a couple of years of the previous editions). I agree that these sims can really help sharpen/polish/maintain cornering skills/line riding on the real bike. I think it did for me,

pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 05:48 AM   #117
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Illegal as I wanna be

Nothin wrong with being responsible about the noise. The right time and place to open it up doesn't hurt anyone.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:55 AM   #118
EthanR
Founding Member

I think Cave Creek, AZ, is on the right track. A few years ago they put in a noise ordinance...and they enforce it. Town cops have db meters and use them regularly. To date I haven't heard (or heard of) anyone bragging about beating a ticket. Do riders avoid Cave Creek (i.e., hurting local business)? Not that I've noticed. It's appears popular as ever, but now there's a lot less throttle-blipping, etc.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:57 AM   #119
9toes
Founding Member

What??? How dare you question my right to disturb and *****-off everyone around me for a 100 yard radius? I choose my loud pipes and tatoos to be different and be an INDIVIDUAL. Now, I'm off to visit a nice quaint camping area and give the local wildlife some hearing damage and (if I'm lucky) some heart-attacks. This is, of course, after I find a window sticker for my fairing that shows Calvin (from Calvin and Hobbes) urinating on some equipment that I haven't bought. Hmm..I wonder if they have them pissing on BMW motorcycles...I've heard that they're quiet.

9toes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 05:58 AM   #120
dlhampton
Founding Member

Thanks Fred. It needed to be said. The loud pipe bikes along with the sportbikers who feel they have to turn a crowded interstate into a high speed slalom course never realize that their individual actions are in reality representative of all motorcyclists to a vast majority of the non-motorcyclist community. When we hop on the bike, we are ambassadors for all riders, whether we accept that responsibility or not.
dlhampton is offline   Reply With Quote