Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   The Shame Among Us (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/3684-shame-among-us.html)

sarnali 06-21-2006 05:13 AM

Re: The Blame Among Us

They don't need meters, all they have to do is look for the EPA 80dba stamp on the pipes. Since it's illigal to tamper with the exhaust, if the stamps not there write them a ticket. The only cost is a flashlight and a mirror on a stick....

NLJ 06-21-2006 05:26 AM

Re: The Shame Among Us

I still haven't heard a good arguement for these ridiculously loud pipes. The "pipes save lives" crap is just as stupid as it sounds. "It's a Free Country" is just an excuse to be an idiot. Could someone come up with something better?

Wobblyoldgeezer 06-21-2006 05:26 AM

Anybody else think that Peter Fonda and Dennis Hopper have something to answer for? Personallly, I've never quite bought in to the connection between motorcycling and riding slowly in parades with a strong sense of personal superiority

naco_traficante 06-21-2006 05:27 AM

Maybe this website isn't flash-ed and javascript-ed to the max, but I was just thinking what a nice response this thread was getting anyway. I see a lot of unfamiliar names today - either new users or else we have flushed the quiet lurkers out into the open.

sarnali 06-21-2006 05:28 AM

Re: What is the Legal Limit?

80 dba, stamped on the muffler of your stock exhaust

kawazuki 06-21-2006 05:29 AM

Sorry, Matt has it right.

Decibel Scale

"The threshold of hearing is assigned a sound level of 0 decibels (abbreviated 0 dB); this sound corresponds to an intensity of 1*10-12 W/m2. A sound which is 10 times more intense ( 1*10-11 W/m2) is assigned a sound level of 10 dB."

Logarithmic arithmatic

"If the measured intensity is double or half the standard intensity we have:

Double: N = 10 log(2) = 3.013dB up re. 1mPa

Half: N = 10 log(0.5) = -3.013dB down re. 1mPa "

So a 3dB drop is about half as quiet.

-Kawazuki

sarnali 06-21-2006 05:34 AM

Re: Another viewpoint

The point is which everyone seems to grasp except you is that if a minority of "bikers" continue blasting joe taxpayer with their loud pipes we won't have the option of mounting the bikes of our choice and having a great time

kawazuki 06-21-2006 05:39 AM

Re: Loud Pipes Externalize Costs - Tax 'em!

Why should the government get to profit from a cost that's been externalised on me? After all, I'm the one who bears the burden of listening to these idiots.

"You can punch him in the face as much as you like, as long as you pay me a dollar each time."

-Kawazuki

seruzawa 06-21-2006 05:39 AM

In Salt Lake City the cops have a couple of db meters and they do give tickets to cars and bikes that are too loud. Isn't cheap either.

seruzawa 06-21-2006 05:40 AM

Re: 60 miles!

He wants to try out his new broom handle.