Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-28-2001, 11:46 AM   #1
Durandel
Founding Member

Default Re: VTX Chat at 5:00 PM Pacific Time

Wow! What an engine!! I cant wait to see one of these up close and personal.

Oh yea... and FIRST POST to you all!!!
Durandel is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-28-2001, 12:08 PM   #2
Wolvie
Founding Member

At the Motorcycle show here in NY last weekend, they were showing the VTX1800 at a price of $12,700.

VERY interesting...but I'm not sure if it will happen that way. A bike like this might get it's price jacked up a bit before it hits the dealer's floor.

We will see...
Wolvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 12:17 PM   #3
Dryfly
Registered Member

Lose the wheels, the big honk'n pipe and reshape the rear fender and I'm there baby! Oh yea, I forgot, I just bought a Deuce
Dryfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 12:43 PM   #4
A_Nominal_Squid
Founding Member

Default Re: VTX Price

There's going to be a bunch of pricing tomfoolery, because each dealer can get no more than 5 of these, and when they're gone, that's it. Soo, salesmen aren't going to be doing any deals on these...in fact, I'd be surprised if many sell for anything less than full retail.

I for one am looking forward to this machine

-a nominal squid-

A_Nominal_Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 01:44 PM   #5
Doughboy
Founding Member

I know you arent talking about Honda jacking up prices. It seems to me that only Harley Davidson does that. HARLEY SUCKS
Doughboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 01:46 PM   #6
Doughboy
Founding Member

that is why you would want to take off the wheels and pipe and mess with the fend. it is so that you can load a good engine into that piece you just bought.
Doughboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 01:57 PM   #7
Damon
Founding Member

Have you read the specs on this thing?

What with the 19 injectors and 7 spark plugs per jug, and so on.

I applaud Honda for the engineering skills of this thing. I want one, though I have to ask whether we are apporaoching the practical limits of how big one cylinder can be...for the sake pf perspective, just ONE of the VTX cans displaces almost as much as ALL FOUR pots on the Fireblade! I wonder about the viability of a 900cc "adventure touring" thumper.

I still think the closest competition for the Vanguard comes from the Road Star. It's a bit smaller displacement-wise, but where the air-cooling looses power, it gains easy maintenance and relatively inexpensive hop-up capability. And for a lot of cruiser owners, customization is important; and that's harder to do with shaft drive.

I've been taught never to buy version 1.0 of anything. So I'll probably wait until next year, when the availability is up, and by God, if $12,700 is the list price, why would I want a Valkyrie anymore.

Hey, pipe dream time: what are the chances of Honda using the motor in a "wide-open class" sport-tourer, a-la what Buell was supposed to be? Yeah, that's it! a VTX mill, longitudenally mounted, providing the basis for an ST1100 PanEuropaen redesign! ST1800?!?! Whoo-Hoo!
Damon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 02:03 PM   #8
caderider
Registered Member

I'd like to see the VTX Tourer version with hard bags and windscreen...
Old 02-28-2001, 02:07 PM   #9
Smitty
Founding Member

Yup looks great, Saw it here in Phili show. At 12400 for silver and black and12700 for Illusion blue and red it doesnt look bad.
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 02:24 PM   #10
toneking
Founding Member

well lets hope that honda doesn't harley davidson us on there new 1800cc vtx if they start jacking it up just because its a half way cool bike then that will just be one other thing some of us will just have to do with out!!and ya know the one thing i have discovered is that 90% of the fun of owning a big cruiser is the harley mystic its not just a huge honda thats going to be over priced owell lets hope for the best lets hope that honda doesn't follow in harleys foot steps and yamaha's roadstar foot steps of hard to get and more $$than they said!! lets hope if they finally do make this a real production bike that it is what they say at the price they say!!
toneking is offline   Reply With Quote