Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-06-2006, 01:02 AM   #51
fl34
Founding Member

Default Re: 2006 Moto Guzzi Three-Way Combo

That was the easy part and it would have saved on knee pucks!
fl34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-06-2006, 04:36 AM   #52
jesskauffman
Registered Member

1st post. Might as well do something productive at work today.

The Breva 1100 is on my short list for my next bike (it's kind of hard to weekend tour with the wife on my '84 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk) so I stopped by Harper's Moto Guzzi in the Kansas City area this weekend to see what they had. They're holding off on ordering new Guzzi's due to some concerns about the CARC system's reliability, but they think that has been fixed.

Has anyone else heard anything about the reliability of the new Breva and Griso? Since the nearest Guzzi dealer to me is 2 1/2 hrs away, reliability is of high concern. I love the look and sound of Guzzi's, not to mention the "different than everyone else" factor. The only cool, non-mainstream bikes available here are Triumphs.
jesskauffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 05:24 AM   #53
setafirst
Registered Member

I've paid twice now and never regretted it for one second. Nor in 6 years and 50,000 miles have I been stranded or wanted for parts.

And the bikes just keep running better and better...

setafirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 11:39 AM   #54
mjs
Founding Member

Default Re: I love it!

I never owned a Guzzi and some day would like to own one but there is no dealer within a reasonable distance from me.
mjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 01:16 PM   #55
gforces
Founding Member

Default I beg to differ

The US Hawk GT list is one tight-knit group of helpers ( 700+ strong) for anything wrong with your Hawk--I've yet to buy a manual, and I have performed my own fork-reseal, and successfully diagnosed a fueling problem to the relay all with the list's help.

A $3k bike that I can embarass bigger bikes with in the twisties that I can maintain myself, provided I join the hawklist.
gforces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 04:19 PM   #56
OhioSteve
Founding Member

setafirst,

I am glad that you had a good experience. Unfortunately, a signifigant number of Guzzi buyers have not had similar luck. If you read the reviews on powersportsnetwork, you will find several horror stories about Guzzis. I admit that there are naysayers for every marque, but Guzzi has a disporportunate number of them.

jesskauffman,

It sounds like you are willing to tolerate some inconvenience to get something distinctive. I would suggest that you look at KTM. They don't have a strong dealer network, and they may not be as reliable as Honda. But they are VERY distinctive, and their reliability is light years better than Guzzi. The KTM Adventure is comfortable, powerful, and it could easily accomodate a passenger.
OhioSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 12:08 AM   #57
p3ga
Registered Member

From everything I've heard, reliability on the new Griso & Breva has been very, very good.

The issue with the bearing in the CARC was quickly solved (a bad production run by the supplier). It's been well documented on the web.

I have an '02 Le Mans & I would not hesitate to purchase a new Guzzi today. Even with all it's foibles, I'll never sell the Le Mans. In 30 years of riding & owning countless bikes, this damn thing still puts a smile on my face every time I ride it. Just like my first bike did.
p3ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 12:37 AM   #58
yossef
Founding Member

Default Oversquare/Oilhead indeedy

Right right right, should be Oversquare/Oilhead indeed. Sorry BM' folks.

On top of that bore / stroke of old MG 850's was 83 X 78 and not 83 X 87.....

This is what happens when you are rushing to finish a story just before riding down to watch the motogp race in Mugello. My head was already into the Rossi / Capirex battle ......

yossef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:17 AM   #59
yossef
Founding Member

Default Gootsies

There's a BIG difference in quality, reliability and component life between the small blocks and big blocks. Had a V50 and it was a rolling mechanical disaster.

My 81' LM III is now in pieces (due to a crash) and after strpping the engine it shows little wear for the 100K it's got. Worst wear is at the rear wheel to bevel box spline ($$$$! ouch!)

All I am going to do to it is re-ring and maybe fit a Bruno Scola cam.

yossef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 04:29 AM   #60
wolfpack_fan
Registered Member

Default Re: I beg to differ

Uh, did you actually read the post? "...no big bikes made today are easier to maintain yourself!"

The Hawk is a great bike (I've owned 2), but it's neither big or made today.
wolfpack_fan is offline   Reply With Quote