Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-03-2006, 05:58 PM   #101
Fenton
Founding Member

Default Thanks,

I think I've spent a grand on the bike before I picked it up. 320 rotor, green pads, ss lines, springs, shock, bar, hand gaurds.

Then we go pipe, jet kit, air filter. Then maybe a seat & wind screen.

How much was a used GS again?
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-03-2006, 05:59 PM   #102
Fenton
Founding Member

Default Re: Tow vehicle.

I don't want to get it wet above the air box.
Old 06-03-2006, 06:02 PM   #103
Fenton
Founding Member

Default Re: 2006 BMW K 1200 GT

It looks like it was dropped from higher than that.

Just kidding, I like it.
Old 06-03-2006, 06:26 PM   #104
Aero_Doc
Registered Member

I think BMW is expecting another war, cos the bike looks like it has bullet proof armour.

I owned a R1100RT and did 60,000km on it, I liked it and all the gizmos. Just done 100,000km on my sprint and looking to see what other sport touring bike, I test rode a R1200RT. During my 30min ride, I felt confident enough to do slow speed 8's and scraped my feet around corners, so the bike is very user friendly, but the bike was sterile - and for me characterless.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:00 PM   #105
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default A grand?

If you've only spent a grand you've barely scratched the surface! I have a couple of riding buddys and they've dropped waaaaaaay more than that on this particular site alone. http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Bran...r_KLR_650s.htm

BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 05:38 AM   #106
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: No Flying Brick but may be Boomerang

Yeah. And what about the side stand?
Old 06-04-2006, 05:53 AM   #107
jschoofs
Registered Member

Default A European impression

I test drove a K 1200 GT a few weeks ago over here in Belgium - the dealer was very eager to get me on the newest K-bike since he knows I swapped an R 1100 RT for an FJR. I must say my impression was quite different from Pete's. I found it very difficult to control the engine's power at low revs and while in low gears making U-turns and slow corners rather "challenging". I simply cannot believe BMW still doesn't have that injection sorted.

A few other things I noticed: both the front-end suspension and brakes are vague and uncommunicative. I've never liked the lack of feel in the servoed brakes and the modulation is still too sensitive for me.

The bike also suffers from excessive transmission play and the front seat slopes down too much to the front quickly getting uncomfortable.

On the positive side: cornering stability is great, the engine has lots of grunt but you do need to rev it somewhat. Upper body wind protection is better than on the FJR (a major miss on the Yam) but worse compared to the new BMW RT.

So all things considered it should not come as a surprise that the German "Motorrad" magazine (biggest in Europe) did not choose this bike as the touring bike of 2006. They actually chose the BMW R1200 RT and the Yam FJR.

My conclusion: quite a bit overpriced in its current form (in Europe the toolset is an option!) but will without doubt improve if BMW finally finds the time and the resources to eliminate the fuel injection problems on that new engine. Given their ever expanding model range this could take a lot of time.

Greetings from over the pond and before I forget: Rossi rules!!!! Don't forget to take a look at the absolutely spectacular Italian MotoGP images.

jschoofs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 07:36 AM   #108
2WF
Founding Member

My 5 year old nephew could have designed better looking side panels than that.
2WF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 08:22 AM   #109
ofreen
Registered Member

Longride jumped all over the guy who thought the review was too uncritical, but I think Tadgh has a point. Gabe said it was only a introduction/first ride story and it was only a limited test to be followed by a more in-depth feature later, but consider some of these quotes from the review -

"Can a sport touring motorcycle get any better?"

"I had decided early on in the test ride that this would be one of the easiest bikes I may ever review, due largely to the fact the GT left little to complain about."

"With few, if any trouble spots, this latest sport touring machine to hit the market will certainly have BMW loyalists as happy as ever and much of the competition scrambling in the future."

and -

"Nevertheless, this K bike offers refinement and quality yet to be rivaled in the sport touring world."

These don't sound like preliminary conclusions from an introduction/first ride story to me, either. I would not presume to question the author's or MO's integrity, but I would think such statements as the ones quoted should probably wait until the more in-depth test is done.
ofreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 12:20 PM   #110
Tadgh
Registered Member

my first two posts were inane...exactly(i was bored in work)...the third possibly insulting but to the writer..are you the writer? ...i assume mo to be a commercial enterprise that lives or dies based on subscriptions and advertising ...i expect people to get paid for working hard to bring these articles that the subs and advertisements pay for..i am not interested in a fight where two opposing opinions will never agree but maybe this board could be a little less insular and open up instead of the same 10 or 12 guys posting messages to each other and feeling defensive about a negative post ...if i had foreseen this reaction believe me i wouldnt have posted, i like to read the reviews and generally do so without any comment to reader feedback....you said you call em as you see em..is that option not open to me also?...and that is how i feel about it because i do not post to generate flame wars ..and now i am done
Tadgh is offline   Reply With Quote