Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-23-2006, 06:40 AM   #21
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: FJR1300 Model Introduction

I hope that my veiwpoint on this article isn't too far out of the mainstream, but I found it to be well written and very informative.
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-23-2006, 06:47 AM   #22
staff
Registered Member

Default I could have been clearer...

The shift button has two ends...one sticks out from the front and the other you push from below the horn button. Because the side under the horn button is a little awkward, everybody just hooked their finger under the "upshift" side and flicked it for downshifts. It was actually very easy to do.

Also, the bike's EMS will keep you from down-shifting if it will cause engine damage, although it won't up-shift automatically when you are near redline. It took everybody at the intro all of ten minutes to get used to and comfortable with.
staff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 06:50 AM   #23
staff
Registered Member

Default I did.

Very nice...by the way, that place (all the bars and gathering places at the W) seems to be some kind of chick magnet. There were so many beautiful women there I started wondering if they were all call girls. Then I started wondering if I could use my expense account...
staff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 06:50 AM   #24
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Listen wacko, take your loony comments back to your compound and continue writing your manifesto. We donÂ’t need your type around these parts.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 06:51 AM   #25
seruzawa
The Toad

So, did you plop down your $500 yet?

It was informative alright. It was very complete and as a result I was able to reach the very certain conclusion that I have no desire to own one.

Especially when I could go pick up any number of competing "sport tourers" this afternoon.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:52 AM   #26
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: I did.

MO has an expense account?
Old 05-23-2006, 07:14 AM   #27
desertbilly
Founding Member

As if the order-now-sight-unseen-and-wait-8-months buying experience wasn't goofy enough, I'll be very surprised if they sell many of these YCCS systems. I'm all for innovation and creativity but I see two big problems with the system.

First is that probably no one wants it in the first place, and especially FJR riders (as the sportiest group in the touring/sport-touring segment) won't want it. In the segment, the FJR is considered the sport-bike with bags. That's fine because that's exactly what some riders want. It's not considered a softer, less-engaging alternative to a Wing.

Second is that it appears to be completely different, and I, at least, have no idea how it would feel or whether I would like it on a daily basis. This is a situation where, if it's a good system, you might sell some of these if you have a liberal demo program, where lots of riders can actually try one out and see if they understand and like it.

desertbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 07:15 AM   #28
mindtrip
Founding Member

I picked mine up on 4/8 (and have almost 4k miles on it now, btw). In fact, I *didn't* plop down a $500 deposit or have to wait months. Well, that is, I plopped down my deposit after the dealer had it and I decided I wanted it..... Many dealers order bikes under employees' names, then sell the bike to the public as with any of their bikes. My bike came with a MCO, so the warranty started when I bought the bike, not before (though admittedly, the dealer got the bike the same week I decided on buying it, so it's not like things would be too far off). My biggest complaint would be that there was no demo riding, but that is not all that unusal in the motorcycle world; I've had multiple dealers refuse to allow test riding of their bikes due to 'insurance reasons' (what I was told). But I had tested a used 2005, and decided it was the bike I wanted, and I'm quite thrilled with it. It has its quirks, like any bike, but I've never felt like I had to baby it through any corners, and I've hit the rubber limits on both sides. Nimble, fast, huge amounts of power, and for someone who rides more than 15k miles a year and travels for 2-3 weeks two up with a girlfriend, an excellent compromise between a sport bike and a touring bike. And I paid under list, including all doc and setup fees.
mindtrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 07:17 AM   #29
anrajala
Founding Member

Are you one of those who believe H-D´s MSRP waiting list is because of the manufacturing capacity has reached its extreme limits?

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 07:31 AM   #30
SRMark
Founding Member

Default Re: Beware manumatic

Drove a twin clutch Jetta and it works very well, although it took me a while to catch on to how to effectively bump the shifter back and forth. Then again, I turn on the hot water when I want cold too. The TDI seems to make its own fuel, getting about 50mpg. Pick one up if there are any left. The thing is a hoot to drive in the twisties and is built like a bank vault.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote