Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-23-2006, 04:51 AM   #11
DannyZRC
Founding Member

Default Re: FJR1300 Model Introduction

thumbnails are all red X's for me, links to photos underneath thumbnails are working for me though.

just an FYI, feel free to can this if it's fixed. =)
DannyZRC is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-23-2006, 05:01 AM   #12
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Beware manumatic

I'd buy the standard version.

I've got a BMW with the SMG tranny and to quote Car and Driver, "it jerks you around more than a used car salesman."

One benefit to the BMW version is I can click it into a full auto mode which is nice for stop and go traffic or picking up the phone, etc.

The worst part is 1st gear. If you slow to a stop but then decide to accelerate before coming to a complete stop you completely baffle the computer and end up lurching down the road like a rookie driving a stick shift for the first time.

Apparently Audi and VW have corrected this with the "twin clutch" versions but Yamaha's sounds more like the BMW type.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 05:02 AM   #13
ksquid
Banned

Default Excellent Review

Nice article, great photos... Beautiful bike... Seen a couple up close very nice fit and finish...I'll like ABS but would pass on the electric shifter though I could see it as a good option to have for heavy traffic as Gabe says. I think this Yamaha would make a good police bike. Some day MO should do an article on the superiority of ABS and linked braking systems. But those systems may be a little to high tech for the techy paranoid GPTB. I once saw a BMW video demonstration of ABS and linked brake bike stopping straight on an oil and straw slick piece of payment. Most impressive.
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 05:04 AM   #14
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default The beach

Hey Gabe,

Did you go up and check out "the Beach" bar at the W?

Heated sand......Ooooooooooooooooh
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 05:06 AM   #15
seruzawa
The Toad

Let's see now. The earlier FJR1300 had a claimed dry weight of 530 lbs. But MCN actually weighed a wet one and came up with 630 lbs. So if the new lie about the dry weight is 582 lbs you can bet that the actual weight is closer to 700 lbs than 600 lbs.

Whodaeverthunk that my GSX1100G would one day qualify as a lightweight sporttourer at a mere 600 lbs wet? The available "sport tourers" may "carry their weight well" but they still push 700 lbs or more.

I'd rather add some luggage and a decent windshield and ride an FZ1 (505 actual weight) than any of these "sport tourer "pigs. Even better would be for Suzuki to bring over the GSX1400.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:29 AM   #16
maladg
Registered Member

GXS1400- yes! And the Honda equivelent. With nice saddlebags. No color match "guareeennnteeed to scratch up real nice & quick" saddlebags, but bag that have the early 70's BMW look.

While I'm at it, a comfy seat, a fairing that looks like a GS1000S (yer best lookin Japanese sickle yet), shaft or belt drive....
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 05:30 AM   #17
maladg
Registered Member

Default Re: Beware manumatic

Rode in an Audi with DSG. Very nice.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 05:33 AM   #18
pdad13
Founding Member

Probably too easy to screw up and downshift instead of up with a misplaced thumb. Might be a tad scary.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 05:40 AM   #19
Tomas_P
Founding Member

Default Good review, thanks Gabe.

I think I'druther have a ZX-14, however.

(Oh, and Go Buell!, of course.)

Tomas_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 06:39 AM   #20
team222
Founding Member

I will never pay a $500 up front fee and wait for months for delivery for the FJ1300.

If Yamaha can not figure out how many FJs bikes to bring to the USA by now so customers don't have to wait, this is not a company that I do not want to do business.

This program is simply a total lack of respect for USA customers that is not justified from a business or customer relations standpoint since America is the only place the FJ is sold that downpayment/wait for 6 months program is required.

I took this up with Yamaha when this was posted a couple of years ago and they really had no logical explanation.

I even gave them free ads in our vintage club magazine for the FJ with the concept being maybe if sales went up they would discountine the program........their response......nothing.

My view is the same now as it was then...........if Yamaha thinks the financial risk on bringing the FJ to the USA and so dealers can stock it and allow test rides is that great maybe they should cut down the shoe polish budget they pay for Rossi in the MotoGP to make up the difference.

FJ, Yamaha and the downpayment/wait 6 months program for USA only = talking head in Yamaha marketing loser brainstorm.

I will never buy another Yamaha again.... not based on this program.... but what this program tells me about Yamaha thinks about potential customers.

team222 is offline   Reply With Quote