Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-26-2001, 01:59 PM   #1
Sprint_ST_NYC
Founding Member

Default Re: Triumph Daytona Reader Feedback

First Post?

I liked the old styling better, but the new engine numbers are nice. I've seen one in person, and it does look better in person (as opposed to photos) but I'm a-keepin' my Sprint.
Sprint_ST_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-26-2001, 02:24 PM   #2
SlowDude
Registered Member

Good choice keeping the sprint. The more I look at that double swingarm, the better the old one looks. That is just plain nasty!
SlowDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2001, 02:34 PM   #3
SlideR1
Premium Member

I think Triumph took 1 step forward in technology and 2 steps backwards in design and character.The design looks like an attempt to copy the Japanese. It's a good thing they kept the 3 cylinder motor to give it some character.

I'll keep my 2000 955i.
SlideR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2001, 02:40 PM   #4
CBR1000F
Founding Member

When are you guys getting a long-term tester? I wanna know if this one blows up on you TOO.
Old 02-26-2001, 03:32 PM   #5
XS
Founding Member

I am craving a 955i... the old model.

The specs on the new one look very good and promise a very exciting ride, but the bike lost the overall immense sex appeal it had.

In my opinion looks totally japanese and I would find now harder to justify buying the Triumph over an R1 (for instance). The R1 very likely performs better, looks about the same (or better) and costs

less. Well, that's just my opinion.

Maybe taking it for a ride would help me change my mind, but for now I'm scouting for a 2000 or 2001 in good shape.

PLEASE: do an open class comparo that includes the R1, GSXR-1000, the 929RR and the new 955i Daytona. A two part (track/street) would be totally awesome.
XS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2001, 06:28 PM   #6
Smoker
Founding Member

I'm really excited to see this machine in showrooms, but it seems that Triumph has contradicted themselves a bit. They say it's important to retain the triple because of brand identity and character yet go the way of the mainstream with the double-sided swingarm because it'll save a few pounds. Well, are they going one way or the other?
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2001, 07:09 PM   #7
BenjiH
Founding Member

I'm happy to see that Triumph is continually striving to improve its sportbike lineup. They added a 600 last year and are now updating the Daytona. However, though they have improved the Daytona's function they have gone backwards in terms of style. Don't get me wrong, I think for the most part function should come before style, but now the Daytona has lost a bit of its uniqueness. Without the single-sided swing arm the bike looks somewhat bland. I would be willing to give up the weight savings for the single-sided look. Plus, I'm sure they could've redesigned the swingarm so that it would weigh less anyway. I'm also guessing this bike, in terms of performance, isn't going to unthrone any R1's or Gixxer 1000's any time soon. If Triumph were to really go all out and make it king of the open class, then I could get over it's appearance. Look at Ducati. On paper the RC51 and RSV Mille beat it. But, in my opinion, it tips the scales for overall appeal because it's close in performance (handling wise it may even be better) and it has so much more style. For me on the street I'm sure I wouldn't notice that much difference between the bikes anyway.

P.S. Unless Triumph starts racing I don't think they're ever going to lead the performance wars due to the fact that racing technology gets handed down to the consumer market.
BenjiH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2001, 10:52 PM   #8
RS-Mike
Founding Member

Personally I don´t mind the double-sided swingarm (I already own a Sprint RS which has a "double" ). It gives a stiffer chassi, lower weight and, in my humble opinion, it doesn´t look all THAT bad. For me the small sacrifice in looks, pays of big-time when it comes to handling and performance.

The new enginge seems like a really pretty package. If it keeps the low- and midrange grunt AND delivers 147 bhp there is only one question to ask: "Can I have some, please....". The only thing that could spoil the fun is the gearbox. I really hope Triumph has improved their box. The one i have on my Sprint is raw and the false neutral between 5th and 6th gear is a little too easy to find. But if this is solved, the new enginge will be a masterpiece.

Now over to my only real complaint, the front fairing. Why on earth did the designers ditch the twin head lights???!! To me those are the essence of Triumph sportbikes. The gorgeous, tilted twin headlights was one of the reasons I chose the Sprint over the Aprila Falco (even if it wasn't the only one). The new design looks too much like an R1 to suit me. But maybe they look better in real life...

I am definitively going to try one out as soon as they get to Sweden!!
RS-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2001, 11:08 PM   #9
baker
Founding Member

I think Triumph have taken a major step backwards in the styling of the new Daytona. The old model only needed modernized to bring it up to standard. They should have kept the single-sided swingarm, redesign the lights - make them smaller in keeping with current trends - like a MV Agusta, Tornado, or even just downsize the current ones and make it look like a 996. If you are going to copy a bike you may as well copy the nicest ones (like the MV or 996) instead of a TL1000R & ZX9R - which seems to be the case with the new Triumph. They also should have far more scoops and vents on the bike & an underseat exhaust system with three end cans (one for each cyl.) to make it truly individual.
baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2001, 11:23 PM   #10
baker
Founding Member

Default Re: Overlooked and Underrated

I had a look at this test and once I saw the three bikes that are being compared, (Daytona vs VTR vs YZF600 {Thunderdog})................end of story - it's a bloody forgone conclusion that the Yam would win as MO is a totally subjective, Yamaha biased publication that is soooooooo predictable. What a total scam of a dirty joke!! I posted comments about this before but no one ever replies, either to agree with me or to say a talking a pile of mooo. I looked through the archives - most tests have a Yamaha winner which goes against nearly all other publications - Firebade vs Thunderace etc - Yam wins, 97 600's Yam wins, even in the cruiser tests - Yam wins!!!!! This is a total scandal and MO seems to have no shame in continually doing this.....
baker is offline   Reply With Quote