Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-05-2001, 01:33 PM   #71
Sprint_ST_NYC
Founding Member

Default Re: Triumph Daytona Reader Feedback

Well, well. I guess the answer is "yes you can, if you can find a '00 model." Red, platinum, and blue for '01. Interesting. Looked nice in green.

I don't know if I'd call the FJR1300 a "pure tourer." Pure tourers don't have 140+bhp. That thing is much closer to the BMW K1200RS than something like the Gold Wing.

As far as the Iron Butt goes - there's a guy who does pretty well on a Honda Helix.
Sprint_ST_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-06-2001, 09:07 AM   #72
sportrdr
Founding Member

Dude I've owned 4 Hinkcley Triumphs as well as Hondas, Suzukis, Kawasakis, Yamahas and Ducatis. I also worked at a multi-line dealer that included Triumph. I can tell you for a FACT that Triumph has more problems than the Japanese bikes. That is not to say that there aren't any trouble free Triumph's. 2 of the 4 I've owned were totally trouble free. I obvioulsy like them or I wouldn't have owned four, but I'm not sticking my head in the sand either. Triumph's quality is NOT up to Japanese standards yet. But then again the Japs don't have that Triple feel either. You pick your poison I suppose....
sportrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2001, 12:45 PM   #73
Gixxerboy
Founding Member

I'm thinking that the old design by committee killed the look of this bike. The old one had character... Triumph character. Let's face it, Triumph is not going to whup the Japs or Italians in the superbike wars. What Triumph CAN do is create a really great street machine that goes as well as it shows. The old bike was great, fun and stylin'. The new one is faster but not fast enough (compared to GSXR1000 et al) looks ok but not ok enough... pick a direction Triumph and follow it!!! Give us the great engine in a unique body (if ya gotta copy someone, copy harris or spondon - keeping the cool tubular frame) and don't try to also be faster than Suzuki, Kaw or Yam - that's not Triumphs target market... leave that for the 600's.

My thoughts, not yours.
Gixxerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2001, 01:35 PM   #74
hatzolah
Founding Member

"giving the Daytona impressive high-rev acceleration and making it Europe's most powerful production superbike" bzzz WRONG = Benelli Tornado

"popular and retained the unique triple configuration'

bzzz WRONG = Benelli Tornado!

Ciao HL

hatzolah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2001, 01:44 PM   #75
dumplips
Founding Member

I`ve been looking at late model used sport-touring bikes and find the triumph trophy appealing, but the reliability question leaves me wondering if the R1100RS bmw should be my choice. I have 2 older beemers, and they are as reliable as any car I`ve owned. I`m mainly interested in a comfortable, reliable bike capable of handling 500-mile days and some backroad fun. I like european bikes for their character, I work on import cars for a living and find japanese iron a bit antiseptic. (personal preference, not a dig at anybody`s ride) Any input would be appreciated
dumplips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2001, 02:36 PM   #76
rickd
Founding Member

That was me, actually. Apparently a spark plug disintegrated in #1 cylinder and the resulting pieces held a valve open. When the held-open valve hit the piston, things started to go downhill fast. End result was three broken valves, one bent, piston, liner, and cylinder head trashed, and suspect rod (it looked OK and didn't measure bent, but no need to trust it when a new one was available).

Orange Country Triumph gets the win on this one - they diagnosed it in two days, then stayed up late the day before a big open house to get it back together for me. Mickey is da bomb. Triumph of North America was pretty nice about it as well, allowing me to get a second opinion when I was unhappy with the first one.

The loser here was South Bay Triumph, who originally diagnosed it (after a two month delay in the middle of the summer during which they never even bothered to look – despite my calling them every other day) as a failed rod bearing and claimed that they found bronze in the oil filter when they cut it open. I saw that filter. Not only had it not been cut open, it was full of water from the trashed head. No bronze was found in the sump, either. Tell all your friends to stay away - I already did.

The bike now has 50,000 miles on it, runs stronger than ever, and is still returning 40+ MPG and burning minimal oil. It's *also* still under the original factory warrantee.

Oh - the failed sparkplug (remember the spark plug – there was a story about this sparkplug) was an NGK one. It's a Japanese plot I tell you.

rickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2001, 02:39 PM   #77
rickd
Founding Member

Triumph dosn't usually set them up. Usually it's a Triumph dealer. One of them here in lovely LoCal has a nasty reputation going back years and years and years (ask any old-time BMW rider about Luftmiester).

I'm sure blip will correct me if I'm wrong though...
rickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2001, 01:27 PM   #78
Sprint_ST_NYC
Founding Member

So far as I know, the Benelli has not yet begun mass production, making it _not_ a production superbike. They're still doing engineering on it.

And you can't buy one yet! You most certainly _can_ put a deposit on a 2002 Daytona and you'll get it this spring or summer. No word on the Benelli yet (though I admit that's one sexy bike and I wouldn't mind finding one under my Christmas tree)

As far as "unique triple configuration" goes, that's MO's inaccuracy, not Triumph's. Heck, the K75 series of BMW's were inline triples.
Sprint_ST_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2001, 12:18 PM   #79
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

MO was accurate with regard to current mass-produced motorcycles, which is the context most readers are interested in (if somebody put a square four or rotary-engined bike into production I think most journalists would have a hard time avoiding the word "unique" but those are not new ideas either.)

There have been several inline triples before the K75 (Suzuki and Yamaha have done them and Suzuki's was watercooled back in the 70's!) However to say Triumph's triples are not unique I think you have to go back either to bikes well out of production --or else bikes that are not YET in production as you pointed out quite well.
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 12:13 PM   #80
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Don't forget the Kawasaki 2-stroke inline triples in the 70's, either.