Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-28-2001, 06:25 AM   #61
baker
Founding Member

Default Re: Triumph Daytona Reader Feedback

hiya,

Homemade videos of some squid doing block-long wheelies to the tune of Hip-Hop music are cool! Would you rather see some geriatric polish his Triunph bonniville or whatever you call them?

baker is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-28-2001, 09:15 AM   #62
Sprint_ST_NYC
Founding Member

Oh sure. One anecdotal example of a bike going south means the whole company stinks. Sure. Absolutely. You're so right. I guess thousands of satisfied customers are irrelevant. Especially when the maintenance of the bike is unknown. Sure. Uh huh.

No Suzukis or Kawasakis ever blow up. Nobody else ever recalls bikes. Nope.

If you're having trouble, it's most likely with the dealer. Like many manufacturers, they rely on the word of their dealers on warranty claims. If you're having trouble with a dealer, I suggest going to another one.

This is true of any bike and any manufacturer, by the way.

Say, looks like it's going to be a nice sunny weekend. I think I'll take my well maintained, problem-free Triumph Sprint out for a nice long ride. I may even put it up on the center stand to adjust the chain.

Sprint_ST_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 09:17 AM   #63
Sprint_ST_NYC
Founding Member

BRG is also used on the Trophy, but that's a different sort of bike. In that case, it's probably not British "Racing" Green, but British "Moseying Across the Countryside" Green.

Old 02-28-2001, 09:23 AM   #64
Sprint_ST_NYC
Founding Member

I've seen it in person, and it definitely looks better in person than in photos. It kind of grows on you. People who aren't previous Triumph owners sometimes _prefer_ it to the old one. I think nostalgia is coloring our perception of it.

It's hard to argue with the numbers, but the proof is in the pudding. I hope to test-ride one over the summer, if possible. All them ponies got me curious.

BTW, definitely looks better in silver than blue.
Old 02-28-2001, 09:55 AM   #65
Sprint_ST_NYC
Founding Member

My mileage _does_ vary. I like the new Speed Triple better than the original, by a large margin. That frame is sweet, the tail is better, and I love them big headlights. The earlier one I think is too generic looking.

Most of the early Hinckley Triumphs I thought were pretty ugly. It was the Daytona and later bikes that changed my mind.

Then again, there's no accounting for taste...

Old 02-28-2001, 09:36 PM   #66
RS-Mike
Founding Member

Can you still get the Trophy in BRG in the US? In Europe the Trophy does'nt come in that color anymore. Not that I want one anyway. I were to buy a pure tourer I´d get the new Yamaha FJR1300 instead.

But until I get too old, or decide to enter the Iron Butt, I think I´ll stick withe sportier bikes like Daytona, RS or ST. Maybe not even then. I remember reading something about a fellow entering the Iron Butt on a ST.
RS-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 05:53 AM   #67
Larry_supersport
Founding Member

I love it!! The new styling doesn't move me as much as the classic look, but I WOW. 147hp from a TRIPPLE is sweet and it even went on a diet. I am betting it is going to be difficult to keep the front wheel down on this monster. WAY TO GO TRIUMPH!
Larry_supersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2001, 05:47 AM   #68
Philbiker
Founding Member

MO has multiple engine failures on Triumph prepped vehicles (dont' blame the dealer, blame Triumph). Check out the latest Motorcyclist magazine page 128, long-term wrap-up of their TT600. It threw a connecting rod bearing.

Triumph has been nothing less terrible to Chris' and my friend about his blown up Daytona. The worst customer service I've ever heard of.

I'm sure that the vast majority of Triumphs are fine, but to pretend there isn't a problem is to simply bury your head in the sand. Do a search on the internet for "Triumph" and "engine failure" and you'll find at least one more story.
Philbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2001, 09:33 AM   #69
CBR1000F
Founding Member

What's the size of MO's budget got to do with whether or not the Triumph's they tested blew up or not? They were set up by Triumph, and simply RIDDEN by MO... at least ridden for a little while. I don't have a predjudice against Triumph, I just said I wanted to SEE if this one blew up too. I also never said that other bikes never blew up, Honda is supposed to be one of the most reliable bikes out there, and of the three I've owned, two of them required top end work, one short of 7500 miles (200cc bike) and one just over 29000 miles (old aircooled CB 900 Custom). However, 29000 miles and 7500 miles is a far cry from all three new Triumphs, all set up by Triumph, blowing up when being tested by MO. I LIKE British bikes... I used to get rides to school on the back of my dad's Norton Commando 750.
Old 03-05-2001, 12:28 PM   #70
Sprint_ST_NYC
Founding Member

Do a search on the Internet for "Suzuki" and "engine failure." As well as "Harley" and "engine failure." And "Kawasaki" and "engine failure." And any other bike manufacturer you care to name.

Sport bike engines, of any sort, get stressed highly. Highly stressed engines can fail. Period. And I refuse to issue a blanket condemnation of a company when I don't the background of the bikes in question. Moreover, I'm personally surprised that _any_ bikes survive the kind of thrashing that bike magazines routinely give bikes - witness the latest Cycle World where the journalists managed to crash 2 out of 3 GSX-R's. When/if those bikes are patched up and handed to the next journalist, I imagine they'll be a touch less reliable than the average rider's bike.

As far as your friends' experience goes, I humbly suggest that they go to some of the mailing lists and ask for some help. Triumph of America has usually been willing to bend over backwards to help. A given dealer may not want to do an extensive warranty repair, as they may actually lose money on it (particularly if their mechanics aren't up to stuff).

I also don't know the particulars of your friends' bikes, their maintenance history, modifications, etc. I am not going to blame the bike (or the rider) without more information. But everything I've seen so far has made me feel that Triumphs are no less reliable, and possibly more, than the major brands. And I can give you dozens of stories of people who've had no problems, or who have had positive resolutions to their problems from ToA and/or their dealers.