Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-27-2001, 01:20 PM   #51
Frank
Founding Member

Default Re: YES people buy it because it

Yeah, what he said. I love my T-bird, it's one of the best head-turners around. I see a lot of covert lust in the eyes of many Harley owners, too, whenever I pull into the local hangout....yikes, it just occurred to me....maybe they're lusting after me.....
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-27-2001, 03:52 PM   #52
XS
Founding Member

Default Re: Triumph miss-step

That's not a bad idea: new engine, inverted fork, old body style...

Style misshaps: see Pontiac Aztec.

Those dudes at Triumph really need to improve the way they get input from customers. If they do at all, this time they messed up badly. It was easy to please everyone and they got it wrong.
XS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 04:12 PM   #53
XS
Founding Member

Default Re: Triumph Daytona Reader Feedback

Triumph relies more on the sales of their Thunderbirds and Bonnevilles than it's sportbikes,

but I agree that is not an excuse to not listen to what the customers or potential customer of sportbikes want.

Triumph: WE buy bikes, ask US what we want. Do not assume you know. That applies in particular to styling and cosmetic dessign.
Old 02-27-2001, 04:37 PM   #54
XS
Founding Member

Default Sure, but...

The point is that Triumph changed things they didn't need to mess with.

This is a sportbike aimed at the niche buyer who will normally show it off as much as possible, ride it on the streets, occassionally (that's right, NOT OFTEN) take it to the track, and show it off some more.

For the purposes above listed the general styling of the bike was not necessary to change. Not even the single sided swing arm (this is arguable, I know).

Triumph DID NOT NEED TO MAKE THE BIKE LOOK JAP to improve performance, but they did. That is the big deal.
Old 02-27-2001, 04:48 PM   #55
XS
Founding Member

Default Talk to me

If your Daytona is silver and you are enough of a fool to trade it for a 2002 with it's Jap looks... please let me know so I can buy the 2000 from you and then send you pictures of the gorgeous bike you lost (for mere sadistic pleasure).

The Ducati is an all-out track machine, and even though I would not imagine Ducati getting rid of the single arm or the underseat pipes, they would have a bit more of a reason to justify it in the name of "performance improvements". But that wouldn't stop ducatisti around the world from sending death threats to the designer.

Old 02-28-2001, 02:14 AM   #56
RS-Mike
Founding Member

I know what you mean. Ususally it is enough with just the mid-range torque, but when there are cars coming towars you on a 2-lane road I prefer to get by as quickly as possible.

I guess I'll have to show some more "attitude" in my shifting.
RS-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 05:26 AM   #57
Chris_VTR
Founding Member

I can give you another example of a blown-up Daytona, and it was made worse by incompetent Triumph mechanics and awful customer service by Triumph.

My roommate and I were on I-95 south in New England, cruising at about 75mph, when his Daytona's motor blew up. It spit a rod straight out of the engine case, creating a baseball-sized hole. Oil spewed all over the back of the bike (8^o), but we managed to move to the shoulder. Got the bike towed to a dealer, and he's had nothing but trouble from Triumph since. (This happened back in August)

He's suing Triumph under the Lemon Law, and hopefully will soon stick it to the worst motorcycle manufacturer on the market today. (This is the same company that puts centerstands on it's Tiger model that are downright deathtraps due to their ability to lever the bike off the ground in even relatively shallow turns.)

And the new Daytona looks awful, by the way.
Chris_VTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 05:27 AM   #58
RS-Mike
Founding Member

Yep. I like the design of the new Speed III. But it should be equipped with the flyscreen. The "bug-eyes" doesn't disturb me. In fact I think they look cool, and there is no way ANYBODY could say that this bike looks like it is a copy of ANYTHING else.

However, I could not agree more with you on the color thing. It is PINK and it is NOT cool. Why can´t we have the Sprint RS, Speed III and Daytona in British Racing Green? As it is now BRG is only used on the Sprint ST. If you ask me, this is the ultimate color and it is a shame that Triumph doesn't use it on more bikes.
RS-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 05:44 AM   #59
baker
Founding Member

Default Re: Overlooked and Underrated

No, please explain why ?

I know you won't/can't say why because you are an ARSE-BANDIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 06:10 AM   #60
motorcyclerider
Founding Member

Humm, I don't think Triumph will ever be taken seriously here in the US. till they decided to go "racing"!

Now, I understand if they don't want to put together a "SuperBike" program, the cost's are insane but trumpets should be in both:

600 Super Sport

Formula Extreem

Yes, they may not win for a time but it would give Triumphs sport bikes some needed promotion to the American public, JMHO. Yes, I've owned a Hinckley Triumph, a lovely 1995 Speed Triple (cafe style, not the UGLY, newer version, JMHO) and it was fun to see the bikes race in the non-AMA series while it lasted.

It's time for Triumph to quit "hiding" and let everyone know, yes they do build sweet sport bikes!

BJ Ondo

motorcyclerider is offline   Reply With Quote