Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-27-2001, 09:43 AM   #41
Sprint_ST_NYC
Founding Member

Default Re: Triumph Daytona Reader Feedback

Err, that there are thousands of Hinckley Triumph riders out there who are somehow able to ride these bikes for thousands of miles without any difficulty? That one (online, relatively small-budgeted) magazine's experiences are not indicative of the Word of God? That the editors of other motorcycle mags (Rider for one) feel confident enough to buy Triumphs?

If you're biased against Triumph, so be it. Me, I've known far more people who've had Suzuki's blow up than Triumphs - and I know lots and lots of Triumph riders. One guy - one - had serious mechanical difficulty, and the only reason he had trouble getting it fixed under warranty was an incompetent dealer.
Sprint_ST_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-27-2001, 09:44 AM   #42
lucifersscalpel
Founding Member

I agree. The improvements sound good but the Old one looked much better...
lucifersscalpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 10:12 AM   #43
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default That's fine, but...

keep in mind the daytona is NOT an open classer. It's only about 55cc's too big to be a superbike, so it would compare roughly to an 800cc four cylinder, like a VFR. This is not a track weapon, it's a sport bike idealized for the street, like a VFR. I'd like to see it in a shootout with the VFR, and I think it'd win--maybe. I think the daytona as it was is not at all behind the japanese bikes, because it give what none of them do--except maybe the VFR, and the VFR is missing the looks. A perfect combination of sport and streetable, with sex appeal. And it's the only triple out there right now--and that motor absolutely rules for a sport bike, screw the numbers, it puts out.

This new fairing and tail absolutely suck. I think I've mentioned that before. And if they were going to get picky enough to get rid of the practical and sexy single swinger, you'd think they would've given it an inverted fork.

They should change the body back, keep the single swinger, add an inverted fork, and keep the new motor.
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 10:14 AM   #44
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default screw brand identity

triples rock
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 10:15 AM   #45
christianl
Founding Member

i agree with you dirty,the looks of the hooligan triumph give a attitude that i love,im considering trading one of my bikes for a black speed triple.those two eyes in the front are almost as cool as elvis
christianl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 11:19 AM   #46
JeffTr
Founding Member

As an owner of two Triumph's, I must admit I like the looks of the old model better, but I will hold back final judgement until I see it in real life - hopefully at bike week. I also hope that Triumph has all it's ducks in a row before the bike hits the sales floor.
JeffTr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 11:45 AM   #47
LoPhatHam
Founding Member

It should be more comfortable than most sportbikes, which is more important than many people realize, and you are absolutely right about the unique character of the triple engine. It revs quicker than a twin, and produces more torque than a four. Performance-wise, it should be in the same general ball park as the Japanese open classers, at least on the street. And yes, that little Union Jack on the tailpiece is pretty cool. This bike won't be for everyone, but for a lot of riders it might be a very good choice.
LoPhatHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 12:26 PM   #48
draz
Founding Member

Default double sided swingarm

I agree that the single sided swingarm looks better (I have a 2000 daytona), but you can't argue against progress. If they don't work as well, do they really add that much character? I think it's good that Hinkley has decided to get more serious with the Daytona. And I like the looks of the new bike. the front-on shot looks great.

Also, what do you think the chances are that Ducati comes out with a double sided swingarm on the next generation 996? Will people be complaining about it on the Duck? There will definitely be cries of agony if it causes problems with the underseat exhaust.

draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 12:35 PM   #49
Azrifel
Founding Member

And the TT600 sucks big time.
Azrifel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 12:38 PM   #50
rvfrules
Founding Member

Default style matters!!!

Triumph claims it switched to a conventional rear swingarm to increase performance. Fair enough, but how many riders are good enough to tap even 80 percent of a modern sportbike's performance? I'd be no faster on that bike with the new swingarm than I would if it had the "heavy" singlesided swingarm. Triumph should understand form matters more than function once a certain level of competency has achieved, and ultimately it is style that gets most riders to open their wallets.
rvfrules is offline   Reply With Quote