Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-27-2001, 03:44 AM   #21
Sprint_ST_NYC
Founding Member

Default Re: Triumph Daytona Reader Feedback

I've had a Triumph for over a year with no serious mechanical problems. It all comes down to how well your dealer has prepped the bike, and how well you take care of it. I've noticed that people who run their bikes in properly have fewer problems down the line. There are Triumphs out there with tens of thousands of miles on them and few if any problems.

Sprint_ST_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-27-2001, 03:46 AM   #22
Sprint_ST_NYC
Founding Member

I'd estimate a bit higher. Triumph transmissions (like most others) tend to lose about 10% from the crank to the rear wheel. My Sprint is rated at 108 crank HP, and about 97 at the wheel. I'd say 126 HP or so at the rear wheel - IE, plenty.
Old 02-27-2001, 03:48 AM   #23
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default YES people buy it because it's different...

and it still has the Triumph badge on it so it is still "different." Will be interesting to see how much sportbike buyers are like retro-bike and cruiser buyers.

Last year everybody was talking about the Kaw W650 and in some places you couldn't get one for less than list if you could find one at all. Now Triumph has out a Bonneville-styled bike that can actually say "Triumph Bonneville" on it (other than the old guy who paints pinstripes at Hinckley who used to work at Meriden, it bears no more kinship to the original than the Kaw does). Already the W650 is languishing all but forgotten and I understand some dealers are giving deep discounts on them reminiscent of Honda's GB500 (another lovely Japanese retro-bike that laid an egg, only to become sought-after years later). Everybody wants the Triumph because it says Triumph even though the W650 is a real nice bike too --especially at a discounted price you sure ain't gonna get on an '01 Bonnie.

I bought my Thunderbird because I prefer bikes closer to standards than sportbikes these days, and there's no other bike on the planet like it. It turns more heads than any 10 cruisers including the how shall we say "higher priced spread." But will *sportbike* types buy the not-so-distinctive new Daytona now, just *because* it is a Triumph? I dunno. I guess we'll see.
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 03:54 AM   #24
Sprint_ST_NYC
Founding Member

It's nicer looking in person than in photos. They had one at the NYC bike show over the weekend, next to a '01 model. Most folks liked it. John Bloor was there himself, and folks discussed the styling with him.

Personally, I think if you're going to go with a single sided swingarm, you _should_ accentuate it with an underseat exhaust. The issue with underseat exhausts is the reduction in rear shock travel (IE, the tire hitting the pipes). That's why the Wunoff, Black Widow, and other undersseat exhausts for the Daytona are so popular.

But if performance is your concern, conventional swingarms are the way to go. Less unsprung weight = good.
Old 02-27-2001, 03:58 AM   #25
Sprint_ST_NYC
Founding Member

I've got a Sprint too. Transmissions are tight and clunky for the first few k miles. They get smooth as butter later on. Keep on top of your oil changes and hang in there. You will be rewarded.

As far as the false neutral goes, shift with with a bit more "authority." The tranny doesn't like timid shifting.

You need to downshift before passing? Maybe you just need more throttle! On my Sprint, shifting is pretty much optional. Miles-o-torque!
Old 02-27-2001, 04:21 AM   #26
RS-Mike
Founding Member

Here is another question to muse over. Will the Speed Triple follow the development of the new Daytona? I for one hope it does. The 147bhp enginge will create one hell of a hooliogan. Yummy. On this machine I hope they keep the single swing, on a street fighter looks is the only thing that matters more than brute force.

RS-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 04:48 AM   #27
LoPhatHam
Founding Member

At first I was ripping on the looks of this bike on the Sprint mailing list. I said it looked confused. Then I saw photos of it from other angles, and it started to grow on me. Then again, I like the looks of the ZX-9R, TL1000R, and YZF1000R, the bikes of which the new Daytona reminds me. I was thinking about buying a 9R next fall, but now I'm seriously going to consider the new Daytona...if my wife's new Sprint RS proves reliable and trouble free, that is.
LoPhatHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 04:53 AM   #28
baker
Founding Member

I know what you're saying but you're missing my point. There is nothing wrong with basing your styling on a MV or a Duke as these are beautiful bikes. Triumph have based they're styling on the ZX9R and some say TL1000R - if you're going to copy a bike copy the best - there is no shame in that. Just look at the TT600 - they copied the previous model CBR6 and have made a totally bland bike that was out of date before it was released and has sold extremely poorly. I think if Triumph release the new Daytona as it is now & do not radically update the TT600 - as a company they will not survive.
baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 04:57 AM   #29
baker
Founding Member

The 996, MV Agusta etc have no problems with the tire hitting the pipes. Single sided swingarms never harmed the 916/996 - they have dominated World Superbike Racing for years.
baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 05:18 AM   #30
NickdaBrick
Founding Member

I'm sure it's a way cool bike, but is there anything about it that's better than the competition? It doesn't look like it. And speaking of looks, nothing about the styling says "latest" or "greatest." They should hire an Italian to style it.
NickdaBrick is offline   Reply With Quote