Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-10-2006, 12:58 PM   #71
ksquid
Banned

Default The most likely sceanario

I suspect when it is all said and done that the following will happen. Your car will be equiped with a data recorder (with GPS receiver) like a flight recorder for an aircraft. In the event of an accident or traffic arrest (dui) the box will be interogated by a police handheld device.

There you have it. Cheap and pratical. Forget this real-time Big Brother monitoring crap Too expensive.. It's ok to come out of the bunkers GPTB boys.
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-10-2006, 12:59 PM   #72
davidhaner
Founding Member

Default Re: Big Brother & Your Bike

Worse than that, it's that the government knows freakin everything about everywhere you go and what you do. Speeding tickets are one thing but I don't trust our government to make intelligent decisions based on factual information. Especially not the really scary branches that are the ones most likely to ask for the information.
davidhaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:17 PM   #73
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: The most likely sceanario

They already have them, OBD 2 diagnostics in cars function the same as a flight recorder and are downloadable. Done Deal. And Bonny Lake of all places is buying speed cameras for hwy 410, just like GATSO cameras in England.

While the tinfoil hat brigade was peering out the front window looking for NATO helicopters the man was setting up their sh*t in the back yard. Big Brother isn't coming he's been here while you weren't looking.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:20 PM   #74
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Cyanide Pie! What a way to go...

Robert Crumb said this (and more) in "Cities of the Future" Rip-Off Press C. 1971:

"You will have a clock mounted inside your head so you'll know what time it is instantly."

"Bowels will be replaced at birth with sanitary disposal units. No more messy excretement."

"Everything will be made of soft plastic."

And my motorcycle will turn me in for speeding. Whatever, just hope beer is still legal.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:21 PM   #75
waepoint
Founding Member

So you did indeed get a mile of shyte for your comment. Despite all the bashing, what I take away from your comment is: don't complain about the enforcement, do something about the law.

That's a tough recommendation because we have a long history of selective enforcement and punishment that makes laws tolerable. "Selective" can be bad (i.e. only arrest minority group X) but more often it can be good in that allows other factors to compensate for a vague (or even bad) law.

But now we may not get that option. When the vague / bad law becomes instantly enforced and universally punished, the system loses that release valve: the cop who understands you're in the middle of nowhere and gives you a warning, or the judge who evaluates your past and lowers the fine cuz you're a good guy.

I wonder if the cops and judges hate these type of systems as much as we do, because it now makes them just as much of a slave to some stupid automated device as we are.
waepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:35 PM   #76
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Haven't we met on the Libertarian chat board?
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:39 PM   #77
Freditor
Founding Member

Considering what a Pandora's Box I seem to have opened with my little editorial, I was a bit reluctant to post anything here - but I can't resist just one more bucket full of cold water in a few faces:

For those who have posted opinions that I/we are just being paranoid, because the technology would be too expensive, and the government won't spend the money -- First I would like to note that the system would generate more than enough revenue to pay for itself in very short order.

However, even that is a moot point, because YOU'RE NOT PAYING ATTENTION!

(nothing personal - 99% of the American public don't know what happens in Congress)

To wit -- the new Highway Funding Bill was passed by Congress a couple of months ago, and it already includes funding for the ISTEA project (Intermodal Surface Transportation Enactment), which includes developing, testing and implementing the very devices I wrote about.

Welcome to the 21st Century.

Fred
Old 05-10-2006, 01:40 PM   #78
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: Cyanide Pie! What a way to go...

Beer and Anglefood McSpade!
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:43 PM   #79
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: The most likely sceanario

Agree but see my post above... about infrastructure cost and data processing...
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:44 PM   #80
ditsara
Founding Member

I agree, the correct solution is to change the laws. I personally think that there should be stronger (and enforced) laws on lane discipline, while allowing the speed limit to be raised to 100+ mph on certain interstates. Kind of like the autobahn. Unfortunately, the safety nuts are much better politically organized than the speeders.
ditsara is offline   Reply With Quote