Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-10-2006, 10:58 AM   #61
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Oh Please...

Have you figured out how to get your Ninja to stop in as short a distance as a Mean Streak yet?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-10-2006, 11:04 AM   #62
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: Big Brother & Your Bike

I was going to write something like that, only I was worried that the government might revoke my privilege to do so if I wrote something that controversial.
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:05 AM   #63
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Just remember there have been numerous cases where the gov't artificially sets the speed limit low in order to generate more revenue.

In a city near where I live it was discovered that the city screwed with the timing on the stoplights in order to generate more red light tickets to help pay for the new camera system.

Insurance companies have also been known to donate radar guns to police dept. I certainly hope you can see the conflict of interest in all these things.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:09 AM   #64
maladg
Registered Member

Even the squid has have to have heard of Moore's law with processor speed rising, costs falling, etc. Storage cost &speed even more so. Bandwith...ditto.

Muni's are installing wireless internet and paying for it with tax receipts. ISP's are starting to scream about competiton from gov entities.

Let me 'splain it so simply even you can possibly understand - or not- this stuff is already in mass production. And it is already dirt cheap. And a lot of it is already here.

But as even a blind hog will occasionally root up an acorn, you might have a point. Once a few "important" people get burned by one of these monitoring devices...and local tv starts showing how the "little people" are also hurt and the same or both show up on Oprah, then legal limits will be set, $$$ will be made by lawyers and all this will sort of settle out....and still be misused by pols, a crooked cops (a tiny, tiny minority of all cops)and on and on.

maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:11 AM   #65
seruzawa
The Toad

It is pretty far from the mainstream of thinking, isn't it? Sort of isolated. Better ignore it.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:16 AM   #66
seruzawa
The Toad

Actually, the USSC has recognized that citizens do have a right to use the public roads. That old claim that "driving is a privelege not a right" is a load of horseshyt.

And in 40 odd years of riding and driving in the USofA I've not seen ther slightest evidence that requiring licenses means squat1 anyhow.

Old 05-10-2006, 11:35 AM   #67
johnnyb
Founding Member

or just like with the cameras. some company GIVES them to the city in exchange for a slice of the revenue, or loans them out really cheap. That's how it works in costa mesa at least.

a few us *****ed at first, now they are at more and more intersections. it is too late for the U.S. get yourself a tiki bar in the backyard and hunker down.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:21 PM   #68
Buzglyd
Founding Member

That was my point. The camera company was getting a slice of the ticket revenue and the City of Encinitas screwed with the timing of the lights to generate more tickets.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:39 PM   #69
ksquid
Banned

Default How much did it cost to fix the Pinto?Paranoia runs deep theres fightin in the street

Unless there is a government mandate it ain't going to happen.....Cell service costs money... Thus even if you had a cheap web connection there is the whole infrastructure to set it up, handle all of the massive amounts of data, who gets the bill.for the infrastructure.. I know I am in that business...Yes these components are cheap (like phones) the expense in the infrastructure...Setting up a speed camara is little different than this ...first it has a government backing, small footprint, doesn't roam... etc..
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:48 PM   #70
ksquid
Banned

Default A matter of scale and cost. How much is your cell min cost?

Hey having a few hundred speed cameras (fixed sites) is much different than having every car in LA be equiped with a real-time GPS transmitter system constantly pushing data to site for processing. Think of it as a cell phone that is always transmitting data... roaming switching between cells.. comparing vechicle speed with posted speed limit.. Not going to happen..it costs way too much.. How many minutes do you use on your cell phone?
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote