Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-10-2006, 10:47 AM   #31
zarn02
Founding Member

Default Re: Big Brother & Your Bike

when they came for the _______ i said nothing...

...then they came for me-- and there was no one left to speak out for me.
zarn02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-10-2006, 10:47 AM   #32
maladg
Registered Member

Recently the founders of Home Depot - Bernie Marcus & Artie Blank - opined that they could not start another Home Depot in today's regulatory climate. Recall that they only founded the company a mere 20-21 years ago....

Recent move in Oregon - I forget what school district: "no running on playgrounds." I suppose one might put their little eyes out, Ralphie.

The nannies and folks who like to stay near the zero/zero point on the risk-return curve are more numerous and tougher to fight than you think. The wussification program continues....
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:48 AM   #33
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

'Speed enforcement is based on the police being able to PROVE that it was you and not just your car or bike.'

Might be true where you live but not here. Chicago has cameras that ticket people that blow red lights. It takes a picture of the front plate and the rear plate. The owner of the car is sent a ticket, and is legally responsible for that ticket no matter who blew the light. Something WILL come of the ticket you get here. It's called an arrest warrant. Big Bro is here.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:49 AM   #34
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I got one of those a few months ago. It's called a nomination.

I was riding my motorcycle and my helmet obscured a clear photo of my mug. I got the notice asking me to narc on the alledged perp.

I threw it in the trash and haven't heard anything since.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:49 AM   #35
maladg
Registered Member

I retract my "eurotrash" comments specifically for that German rector of which you speak....
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:51 AM   #36
brandenw
Founding Member

I wonder how it is that people willingly break the law and are complaining that the government might actually punish them. I don't care if the Euros are doing it (not a big fan of them), or if anyone else is doing it. I'm not going to say that it has everything to do with safety, or revenue. It's about the fact that people are like little children nowadays.

People want to steal from the cookie jar and not get caught, and if they do it's because 'Big Brother' and his police minions aren't out catching the 'real' law breakers who kill and rape. I don't support an actual speed limiter, because it's your choice to go that fast. But if you're breaking the law when, then expect to pay for it. I would not support it unless it warned people they were over the speed limit (and gave them time to correct their speed), as I have seen people who sincerely don't realize they have accelerated those few extra mph.

I'm sure I'll get the whole 'invading my privacy' and 'stealing my rights away' crud, and the, "The speed limits are too low and it's safe to go faster." But the fact is that when you break the law you are able to be, and should be, punished.
brandenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:07 AM   #37
J_M-Syb
Founding Member

we have the red light cameras here as well. They get your plate AND your face.

Burden of proof is on the prosecution. If they can't prove it was you, then how can they convict you and fine you? you might get a ticket, but I bet if you fight it you would win.
J_M-Syb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:13 AM   #38
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Yeah, I could get a lawyer for 500 bucks and take the day off work to go fight it. Where does the 'win' part come in?
Old 05-10-2006, 11:22 AM   #39
J_M-Syb
Founding Member

I have gone to court on two tickets and gotten both of them dismissed. I did this without a lawyer. It just takes a little research. As far as the time off to put up the fight... well, I suppose if that missed day is more valuable than the insurance increase, the fine, and the license points then don't run red lights.

My comments were specificaly directed at speed enforcement and I personally do not run red lights. Do I occasionally go a little faster thatn the local constabulary would like to permit? No comment. I do know, however that many tickets for both speeding and red light running have been dismissed here in Arizona because the camera did not get a clear photo of the driver. In fact, if there isn't a clear facial picture, then the notices are sometimes not even sent out.
J_M-Syb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:23 AM   #40
seruzawa
The Toad

It gets worse. A few years ago some poor sap got a ticket in the mail from West Valley City, Ut for blowing a stoplight in his '69 Dodge Charger. The only problem was that his Charger was on blocks in his garage being restored and hadn't been driven in 3 years. It turned out that the license plate of the guy who actually blew the light was obscured so the city sent the ticket to the first name in the State database of registered Dodge Chargers.

Typical bureaucratic criminality.

Fortunately Utah is full of paraniod tinfoilmadasahatters so the State legislature (which is mostly gun nuts) banned the use of photocop except in school zones during school hours. You should have heard the police bureaucrats and the greedy city officals whine and moan.