Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-10-2006, 09:51 AM   #21
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: Big Brother & Your Bike

I think that you're on to something here. Of course the next logical step is to place GPS locators on all of our government officials so they will be easy to locate when we want to thank them for taking such good care of us po folk.
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-10-2006, 10:03 AM   #22
bollert
Registered Member

Contrary to common beliefs, we live in a very free country. Sure, lawmakers are able to put their ridiculous laws on the books, but they're just not enforced in such a way that impedes our freedom to take risks. One reason for that is that it is expensive to enforce laws, and the other I suppose is because of the public outcry that would follow. Right now, the police can scare us by catching a relatively low number of us and making us think about the risk, meet their goals and everyone's living a good life. But if lawmakers find a way to enforce laws cheaply, then we are in some deep trouble. Believe it, there are those who wish to take our freedoms away. It's easy to become complacent in our world - that is until something big happens and we're all screaming about it wondering how that can happen in America. It can happen because we're not paying attention to the little idiots trying to save us from ourselves. Next time you get a flyer from the AMA, send them a damn check! Also, the AMA and other organizations can alert you as a member when there is legislation that can affect our rights. They will tell you what you can do to fight. Get involved. We are a relatively small and complacent group, and I'm sure that some crazy laws could get passed without our knowledge if we're not engaged. Hopefully the industries will get involved too, or they stand to lose all revenue generated by high-performance bikes.
bollert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:09 AM   #23
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

It's funny...and by funny I mean sad...these posts/stories are the same as those found on gun rights forums 6 years ago.

BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:15 AM   #24
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

The AMA is the motorcyclistsÂ’ version of the NRA.

Neither will actually prevent anything.

All they are good for is to provide a slower erosion of our freedom.

BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:19 AM   #25
fastoldman
Founding Member

I'm with Fred. I don't really think there's a damn thing that can be done about this.

I wonder how history will look back on us? Freedom loving people marginalized by the nanny state, or selfish gas-guzzlers oblivious to our true role in the world? I doubt either is true, but something tells me the historical "answer" will lie at one pole or the other.

Judging by what we do in fact know about the future of the internal combustion engine (or at least what we can suss out of the current state of internal combustion technology and the current state of demand for fuel), I'm guessing that unless something changes radically, technologically speaking, most of our grandchildren aren't going to be riding bikes anyway. It's probably just a phase in human history that we got lucky enough to live through.
fastoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:31 AM   #26
seruzawa
The Toad

I don't know, but this subject has been under discussion for a couple of years now on other forums. I guess some people just have to get hit directly between the eyes before they start to pay attention.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:39 AM   #27
eddyline
Founding Member

A visionary.
eddyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:43 AM   #28
maladg
Registered Member

I've not followed gun rights forums...not that I'm not a shooter. Hey, a guy only has so much time. But BAR most likely has a good point.

Try buying a made in Tenn. Barnett .50 in sunny, enlightened Calif. Difi and BoxersIn-a-Wadd probably think they be a savin' folks from Militia crazies...like a .50 would be useful for crime. Ever tried to shoot one of them thar thangs from the shoulder? Jeez, I need to work out more! No, I don't own one but I'd sure like to. I know two guys who have 'em.

Funny how a serious shooter - like a dedicated competition skeet shooter - suddenly needs an attorney (and possibly an arsenal liscense) just to keep on keepin' on.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:44 AM   #29
J_M-Syb
Founding Member

Now maybe I am missing something here but just because my bike is going over the speed limit doesn't mean that I am speeding. Could be anyone on the bike and it isn't my job to enforce the laws and assist the police to discover who was riding (or driving). I discovered this because one of my employees go a photo radar ticket in a company car. The police sent the notice to our company asking that I tell them who it was. I told them the same thing I wrote above about me not being a law enforcement officer. Nothing ever came of the ticket.

Speed enforcement is based on the police being able to PROVE that it was you and not just your car or bike.
J_M-Syb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:44 AM   #30
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I'd call you someone with 'extremist, unsupported and isolated political views', but then I'd just be a copycat. Hell, you aren't worth talking to anyway. At least that's what I heard.