Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Big Brother & Your Bike (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/3576-big-brother-your-bike.html)

ksquid 05-10-2006 06:05 PM

Re: Big Brother & Your Bike

I don't think mainstream media has avoided the topic. altogether... The data recorder thing was covered by CNN and MSNBC. Fred's thesis, albeit far fetched in my opinion, about a real-time continous monitoring big brother thing is novel... Alarmist and wrong in my humble opinion but certainly novel and entertaining.

Tom_Price 05-10-2006 06:18 PM

Re: Screw Big Brother & Hacking Your Bike

Just grind off every other little nub on your speedometer encoder ring on the front wheel. Instantly 120 MPH=60! Or wait for the cottage industry to supply a modified wheel.

Tom_Price 05-10-2006 06:20 PM

Just fake em all out!

Just grind off every other little nub on your speedometer encoder ring on the front wheel. Instantly 120 MPH=60! Or wait for the cottage industry to supply a modified wheel.

GeneralAlcazar 05-10-2006 06:26 PM

Frankly, I am not too worried. In the world of technology, the scofflaws have been demonstrably always ahead of the legislative curve. Way ahead.

If something like this gets implemented, I predict it will take about a day before methods for hacking the boxes will appear on the internet. And another day to figure out how to make your box appear to anyone listening as if it has never been tampered with.

I sincerely doubt anyone will stand for this type of thing. Black boxes used only for accident analysis, yes. As a method of government control over your vehicle? Never. I don't know about Europeans, but Americans have an almost religious attachment and personal relationship with their cars. The idea that we would relinquish control over our vehicles to such a degree seems highly unlikely.

ksquid 05-10-2006 06:36 PM

Excellent Point

" I don't know about Europeans, but Americans have an almost religious attachment and personal relationship with their cars. The idea that we would relinquish control over our vehicles to such a degree seems highly unlikely."

You are spot on..just like guns we love em....

ksquid 05-10-2006 06:42 PM

Re: Just fake em all out!

Yep... excellent point... the way around this stuff makes it all the more likely it won't happen.. i.e. the best defense is a good offense.. Such a system like Freditor is suggesting would be way too expensive to make it attack proof.. Just like the techy paranoid said the internet was going to enslave folks and big brother would be watching everything kpaul typed... The opposite happened... the internet had the opposite effect... Just think if you monitored all the stuff on the internet.. or even recorded all the hits to yahoo. without picking and choosing who to monitor it would be impossible... i.e. some kind of warrant by a court has to be used to target suspected ip addresses.. You can monitor it all ... Fred is out of touch on this..

ksquid 05-10-2006 07:41 PM

ISTEA exsposed. Be afraid be very afraid NOT.. Can you say boondoggle..

kpaul reports You decide

I think the author makes big leap from automated toll roads that ISTEA is funding i.e. you car goes by a sensor that reads some id data from your car to charge you for the use of a road or HOV lane to a real-time continous big brother monitoring system. The architectures are quite different...Again techy paranoia strikes again..

schizuki 05-10-2006 10:19 PM

Re: A matter of scale and cost. How much is your cell min cost?

"God you guys need to stop watching Fox News"

God, you leftards need to get some new material.

schizuki 05-10-2006 10:21 PM

Re: How much did it cost to fix the Pinto?Paranoia runs deep theres fightin in the st

Besides, these autovelocipedes are a flash in the pan anyhow...

schizuki 05-10-2006 10:27 PM

"I often have thoughts that our mainstream media intentionally bury this type of information."

The MSM is geared towards middle-class suburban women (witness the endless cute-missing-middle-class-white-female stories). This is a class of people which is reflexively nannyish and safety-obsessed, far more concerned with safety and security than with freedom, and not only risk-averse but averse to others taking risks. They're dangerous and they usually get their way.