Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-10-2006, 06:04 PM   #121
Fenton
Founding Member

Default Re: Big Brother & Your Bike

What are you doing on other forums?
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-10-2006, 06:07 PM   #122
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: A matter of scale and cost. How much is your cell min cost?

Have you noticed the slightest bit of reluctance by the Fed to spend untold billions on open-ended programs in the past couple few years? What on earth makes anyone so stupid that he thinks that the Feds won't do something because it's "too expensive"?
Old 05-10-2006, 06:13 PM   #123
ofreen
Registered Member

There are way too many cops out there now.
ofreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:18 PM   #124
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: A matter of scale and cost. How much is your cell min cost?

You'd have to ask kpaul's mom that question.
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:22 PM   #125
Weezel
Registered Member

There is little doubt you are correct, Fred. This is inevitable for governmental fiscal policy reasons as well as private sector profit-driven motives. It will easily pay for itself and there will be much money received by the private companies that get these contracts. Everyone who says it is too cumbersome for the governement to do this type of monitoring on its own is correct - it will be contracted out to a vast network of software companies, credit card companies, private security agencies, and probably an entire new private electronic transportation sector. The government will just take its cut. This is the sort of thinking that says the government could never get its act together and build an Air Force. It doesn't - it (we - our taxes) pays others to do it for a profit.

BTW, I still like MCN and your column, but between me and you, it ain't quite the same since you left. But, I am very pleased to see someone like yourself go back to being a freelance, truly independent writer at this stage of your career. I'm sure it's stressful at times, but it's clear from your recent articles here and in other publications, that your enthusiasm and critical mind have leapt up a notch. Your juices seem to be flowing well. Keep it up.

In some ways I hate getting old, but I'm glad I got to grow up as a child riding a bicycle without a helmet, got to sleep on the window ledge of the rear window in the family car, watched TV when doctors endorsed different cigarette brands, ate all the butter and meat I could stuff in my mouth, and went out to play all day and late into the night and my parents didn't have a clue what I was doing ('cause they didn't have anything to really worry about). I guess that's what generational differences are, and though the aches and pain suck, I really am glad I was young in the 1950's and not now. Seems like everyone has a lot less fun nowadays. And the future seems even less so.

And before anyone flames that I want to return to the '50's (I don't - there were a lot of bad things back then as well), I'm not talking about the social and moral values of the nation (e.g. - civil rights, etc.), or that I am against bicycle helmets for kids, for cigarettes, against seat belts, etc. I'm just talking about the little things in day to day life. They add up to quite a substantial part of your life, and I just think people are enjoying their day to day lives a lot less nowadays. And these technologies are/will play an important role in further restricting the "playfulness" and independence of our lifestyles.
Weezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:29 PM   #126
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Sloppy research

And that he's currently working hard to find a way to get his Ninja to com to a stop as quickly as a Mean Streak or a VTX1800.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:38 PM   #127
Mollygrubber
Founding Member

Default Re: Screw Big Brother & Hacking Your Bike

Woo hoo! bring it on. Once this system is in place, there will obviously (I sound like Ksquid!) be a reduced police presence monitoring the roads. So you pick up one of the myriad hack kits or signal jammers or super digital flim-flammers which will become as prevalent as radar detectors, and ride warp speed at will. All the squids will kill themselves in short order and the roads will belong to the deserving motorcyclists at last... It's all yours JB.
Mollygrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:47 PM   #128
emmit_1
Registered Member

Yeah, but I look for more cameras and recording devices in high traffic areas, also.
emmit_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:56 PM   #129
ksquid
Banned

Default Some irony in all of this..the author should feel good

LOL... I am probably being to hard on the author techinques and conclusions OK ... but I am getting entertained over the same crowd (GPTB) that elects W and supports the Patriot Act becoming so alarmed unnecessarily by an article like this..In my opinion the author is being alarmist and not thinking things through all the way but it is interesting how many posts were generated...(1/2 by me right).. The author should feel good about that.... He can dismiss my comments I don't care..Just wish he wouldn't go to down to the same level as the GPTB.. i.e. the personal attacks

I do like the authors stuff by the way.. i.e. this is a one time thing.
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:58 PM   #130
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: Screw Big Brother & Hacking Your Bike

Absolutely just click on the Radar Roy's Radar Busters add on the left side of the page. Hey his detectors work great..I have to buy another one cause my wife is using the one on my bike..
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote