Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-10-2006, 04:32 PM   #101
Freditor
Founding Member

Default Re: Sloppy research

I am not going to get into a public pissing match with KSQUID, and I thought about ignoring his slam that my article involved "sloppy research and techy paranoia," but the rest of you deserve to know at least this, so you don't think my silence meant he was correct:

I have the research - enough to bury ksquid and his like. Over 2500 pages worth. It wasn't done by me, though - the government commissioned it as part of the overall plan for "21st Century Intermodal Transportation in the US." I won't even tell you the names of the three different engineering and consulting groups that conducted the research.

Planning for the new intelligent highway system has been ongoing for nearly 10 years now, even to the point of building "test sections" of actual, working highway. The VDRs are just a small part of this total system being planned.

I am a professional journalist. I check my facts before I write. What I wrote wasn't my opinions, it was facts, backed up with future projections made not by myself, but by transportation experts around the world.

Why don't I write it all up here and blow his whining ass away? Why don't I give you all the source material-- facts, figures and documentation? Because I do this for a living. I get paid for my research and articles. And this is just the tip of the iceberg of a large project I am doing that will be paying me quite well. I can't afford to give away six months of hard work just to quiet some big mouth that accuses me of "sloppy research," when he obviously knows virtually nothing about the subject we're debating.

Number one: I need to pay my bills, and can't give away my work for free.

Number two: A wise man once said, "It ain't any fun having a battle of wits if you're opponent's gun isn't loaded."

That's the last I have to say on the subject. Remember, this isn't a hobby for me. I have to move on to other things, or I don't get a paycheck.

Fred

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-10-2006, 04:38 PM   #102
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

Default Re: Big Brother & Your Bike

I got Lojack on my car in 2004, thinking it would lower my insurance rates, since they can track your car if it's stolen. It saved me six bucks a year. And, unless I'm mistaken, Lojack is basically a kind of GPS that helps insurance companies recover vehicles that have been stolen. I paid many hundreds of dollars to have it installed, and imagine that something like that will be on every car soon. I don't know who I'm most angry at, the rat bastard insurance company, who will soon lose my business, or myself for opening the door to a new kind of surveillance on myself and paid for the privledge. I think I'll keep my 96 VFR till the wheels fall off.
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 04:42 PM   #103
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

I'm up to my lower lip in sarcasm over here.

I figured the "low protein diet" would have been a dead give-away.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 05:01 PM   #104
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: A matter of scale and cost. How much is your cell min cost?

It's only expensive now dumbass. You know computers used to cost millions of dollars and were the size of an entire building. Remember when a 500mb hard drive and 16 mb of RAM were huge?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 05:03 PM   #105
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Because KP is not qualified to ride anything I've owned.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:13 PM   #106
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Don't worry Fred. Everyone who's been on this site for even a day knows that KP is a complete moron.

The frightening thing is that he claims to work for Boeing although most of us suspect he's posting from the child care ward at Boeing.

He's a young Michael Douglas on Krispy Kremes who rides his 5 year old motorcycle so much the battery goes dead. Oh and he's filthy rich too.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:15 PM   #107
ksquid
Banned

Default Excellent Point

ok thats the type of analysis I am looking for. I think you can appreciate my agrument. Your idea is much more pratical then Mr Freditor..
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 05:22 PM   #108
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: send your kids to public school

Pretty damn funny Dave. I've often wondered if Ann dresses in black leather boots, a swastika arm band, and a riding crop before sex.
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 05:30 PM   #109
ksquid
Banned

Default Show me the money, don't get personal now. Hell we can't find Bin Laden..

OK give us a good argrument for such an expensive real-time data acquitions system.. Don't get personal like Buz and longride. Show me how this elaborate expensive data aquistion would pay for itsself... Who is demanding it? Like I said it's the backend of system like this that the techy paranoid forget. Sounds like the wrong solution to the problem... Who is going to pay for it? cities? cell companies? Homeland Security? On Star? No an incident system like I described much like flight recorders on aircraft already exist and will do the job that law enforcement needs. Being an engineer who has worked on such data systems I perhaps have more insight into the backend infrastructure required.. Sorry I called your research sloppy but u ntil you address the backend infrastructure to your dream real-time continous big brother monitoring every move you make system with some references to experts and documentation. I stand by my comments

Hell we can't find Bin Laden..

I love when the techy paranoid folks think that the FBI or NSA is capturing data in real-time like the TV Show 24...Do you know how much data storage and computing power would be required. Let anlone the analysis that has to be done.. Folks HAL from 2001 doesn't exist yet... That is why the FBI and NSA choose their targets using probable cause. Cause its not pratical and too expensive to monitor everything...

This is my point sir...
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 05:31 PM   #110
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

You forgot to mention that he works out at the gym, and that he stole your bike and got caught by a gatso camera.
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote