Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-10-2006, 02:24 PM   #91
agrogan
Founding Member

Default Re: Really? I call it techy paranoia, sloppy research

I don't usually get involved in conspiracy theory, however...

It is not a real time full system monitor that would be implimented for speeding. Think rather of a single small data packet sent when you exceed the maximum allowed speed within the state your vehicle is registered. For example hit 80mph anywhere in Cali and your black-box sends a single information packet with date-stamp, location, time and actual speed. This would be relatively small in terms of data management and simple to code to ignore the stretches of hwy 99 where the speed limit is 75mph. Thus you get a fat ticket for hitting 80 in a school zone (and you should) and no ticket for passing that slow moving semi on the freeway (as you should not).

I don't like it, but it is coming. And don't forget the neighborhood bandwidth sharing technologies (i.e. PERM) that will enable anonymous small data packet sending on your home wireless network. This, or something like it, will be in place (because it will be convenient and fast for most people) for the gov and the police and anybody else to take advantage of. You won't even know that you helped your riding bro get that fat ticket when he left your place.
agrogan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-10-2006, 02:25 PM   #92
ErricZ
Registered Member

Default Re: The most likely sceanario

This is exactly how "they" do it though ... they introduce something so outlandish, so wild, so crazy that it just couldn't be done. Then they maybe try it -- but 10 times out of 10 you will just get a slighty watered-down version of it ... still an evil version though, don't you worry. *sigh*
ErricZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:26 PM   #93
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: Big Brother & Your Bike

Just because Simon Sez, it doesn't make it legal. Laws that contradict the constitution are automatically null and void. There is quite a large body of research available on the web if you're interested.
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:34 PM   #94
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Cyanide Pie! What a way to go...

"Dem space men sho' is nasty!
Old 05-10-2006, 02:36 PM   #95
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: The most likely sceanario

Speed Cameras are and have been in use in the UK for years, it's really not that expensive to set up and as was noted, the revenue from them pays for their cost. It's already here, there's also a bunch of red light cameras in Tacoma that are in use generating revenue today not "in the future"
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:54 PM   #96
jeffs
Founding Member

I take it you don't live in an area with redlight cameras. Most city governments threw out your rights years ago.
jeffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:55 PM   #97
setafirst
Registered Member

Sadly, the passive acceptance by people of electronic monitoring for seemingly benign purposes is the single biggest issue for personal freedom in history. Nevermind the trivial issue of motorcycle speeding. Where have you been? When were you there? Who were you with, or near? All of these can be gleaned from data gathered from cellphones, gps, credit card transactions, speedpasses, and new technologies like electronic medical monitor implants. I personally know parents who electronically monitor their grown kids, watching the GPS signal when they are out on dates. The parents think this is great and the kids think this is normal. I think its appalling.

I'm in the electronic storage business, and I assure you that governments have figured out how to merge all of these various records together in "spinning disk" archives under the guise of cost saving, safety, and faster service. Once the data is together in this way, linking together your records, and linking you by perhaps accidental proximity to crimes, or political events, or people they may not like, is quite trivial. Governments have always been able to do it one way or other, but never so quickly, easily, accurately, and thoroughly. This is incredibly serious and insidious business, which being totally ignored because most people think it will only happen to other people.

Only good news is that its pretty hard to hide the electronics on a motorcycle...

setafirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 03:15 PM   #98
davidhaner
Founding Member

Default send your kids to public school

Aren't you glad I hooked you up with that?

Or did we meet here?

cough

davidhaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 03:16 PM   #99
bolano
Registered Member

F-you

bolano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 03:26 PM   #100
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

CHP is using radar. It started with just the sergeants, but it's probably spread by now. Currently, it seems like they're not interested in anyone unless they're going more than 15 mph over the limit. Makes for more revenue.

It used to be that those guys were instructed to park where they could be plainly seen, because people have a tendancy to slow down for quite a while after the see the reminder that Cops do exist. If I see some poor sould getting written up, I can't help but notice that I, and the folks around me, put the hammer down again before he (or she) disappears in the rear view mirror, thinking that the local enforcement will be busy for a while. I don't think any of this has done anything to change people's behavior, and I don't think they even care any more. It's all about the Benjamins.
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote