Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-05-2006, 04:58 PM   #31
yellowduc_1
Founding Member

Default Re: Road Rage and You

Haru, thanks for a well thought out and heartfelt comment. I'm glad you kept you wits about you and didn't do anything foolish though I'm with you in hoping he got the butt kicking of his life at some point. As to why some people act the way they do I'm without a clue. The older I get the more I am impressed by the rampant stupidity that seems, some days, to be on the increase. Keep thinking and stay safe.
yellowduc_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-05-2006, 05:02 PM   #32
Haru
Founding Member

PS. I might add, if any motorcyclist behaved badly with my wife, sister or mother, insulted them, scared them, traumatized them because of their mistakes on the road, I would wish only bad things to happen to him.

There are certain standards of behaviour and civility that must be observed. Don't expect my comraderie just because you're a fellow rider. If you can't behave decently, you're just a common thug and I wish that your thuggery gets you what it deserves.
Haru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 05:06 PM   #33
dmorga1
Founding Member

Default Re: Twisting words and shrill repetition of worst-case scenarios

Lord almighty, WTF does the number of children on methylphenidate have to do with problems in the world? ADHD is a complex disorder that involves the frontal and prefrontal areas of the brain to a great extent. The brain forms from the neural tube in the first trimester of pregnancy, which is why fetuses are so susceptible to teratogens during this period (toxins in the womb ingested by mom). Frontal lobes are touchy things, and frontal function varies a lot in the population at large. For people with real ADHD, methylphidate has a paradoxial effect in that it calms them down a bit, helps them focus and concentrate, and tamps down on impulsivity (ah, think road rage). Methylphenidate is speed, but the fact of the matter is, kids with ADHD who are either undiagnosed or untreated seek out stimulants through all sorts of other channels--they don't know it, usually, but stimulants make them feel especially good because they make their brains work a little better when dosed effectively. A lot of undiagnosed ADHD kids end up smoking because the nicotine helps them focus. Ironically, follow-up data on thousands of kids confirms what many of us in healthcare knew all along; kids properly treated for ADHD are less likely to abuse drugs!

I hope you're not one of those Scientology weirdoes. If you are, I'm sorry I bothered to type this, because you would certainly not benefit from factual education. However, if you're not, perhaps I've inspired you to do a little research on both sides of the issue.

On the subject of the article, nice job, MO. I find the folks who end up doing this a lot feel they need to dole out "justice" to people who mistreat them in traffic--when they feel something is fundamentally unfair, they don't check their impulses at the door. They do what they feel is necessary to correct it (often to their detriment). Occasionally, though, it's very reinforcing for the guy who manages to effectively punish someone who pissed him off. Unfortunately, when that happens, it's just all too tempting to do it again--such great results before!

I've always thought a thoughful biker is likely to live a whole lot longer than the impulsive mouth-breather. I gave up having conversations with driving idiots a long time ago. It doesn't change a damned thing. I just get on, be careful, and enjoy the ride. Enjoy, y'all. . .

David
dmorga1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 05:12 PM   #34
Haru
Founding Member

thanks, yellowduc, for reading all that. I didn't realize how much I'd written till it was already submitted.

Its all to obvious but keeping one's wits and never stopping thinking is the foundation of active safety, of keeping yourself safe. Too many people with an invulnerability complex out there.

You stay safe too!
Haru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 05:15 PM   #35
jibosch
Registered Member

Reading 'Street Strategies" by David L Hough, can help out a lot in not ever being involved in most Road Rage incidents. It is probably the greatest book ever written to deal with city traffic - I ride in Miami... - and the two-page chapters are well written, short, correct and contain diagrams and pictures. I have gifted over 20 copies, and they are worthwhile gifts. Please consider the read, it may save your life!
jibosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 05:17 PM   #36
dmorga1
Founding Member

I think you've got it exactly right. It's a tough decision to back off sometimes, and I've had those "shaking wth rage" moments too--just so many stupid people out there. Remember the normal curve--the center is an IQ of 100, which means that 50% of the population ain't especially bright. No disrespect to anyone with a 99 IQ, of course.
dmorga1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 06:33 PM   #37
Fenton
Founding Member

A simple rule that may help some day. If you are in a situation that gets out of hand, get off your bike asap once you stop. You'll end up with a pretty good beating trying to defend yourself while balancing a 500+ pound bike between your legs.

OTOH, what would you do if a motorcyclist kicked your car door?(Be honest) For some reason, I would say I am less tolerant behind the wheel of a car. Self preservation on the bike has taught me to be thankful when I have avoided a possible situation.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 07:07 PM   #38
rob6118
Founding Member

I've never appreciated how fast my bike was until I had an experience with road rage. Till this day I have no idea what I did to cause it, but the first clue I had was having a car swerve towards, trying to run me off the road. I followed the first advice in the column, get far far away.

Nothing like have a road rager on your bumper and a race 600 in rush hour traffic. I never realized how hard and hairy it was to go that fast in rush hour traffic before.

rob6118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 07:12 PM   #39
fastoldman
Founding Member

**crickets**
fastoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 07:14 PM   #40
sportriderjed
Founding Member

I think it was Mark Twain that said "A well armed society is a polite society." Gotta love right to carry states, and rural counties like the one I live in where the Sheriff is fairly liberal about CCW permits. I do think being armed makes you more polite, rather than less though...at least I am much less likely to respond to anyones irritating behavior when armed because should an incident occur you could be percieved as having been an aggressor because you were armed. Dont you think being armed makes you less likely to say something rude or respond to an aggressive tone or gesture? Ironically I think carrying a gun makes me a better Christian.
sportriderjed is offline   Reply With Quote