Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-05-2006, 03:01 PM   #21
bowtydaddy
Registered Member

Default Re: Road Rage and You

" The more you drive, the less intelligent you become". Repo Man/1984

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-05-2006, 03:02 PM   #22
davidhaner
Founding Member

Default Re: Pick me too!

Can I take my medicinal marijuana instead?
davidhaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 03:11 PM   #23
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Twisting words and shrill repetition of worst-case scenarios

A couple of favorite procedures from the Joe Goebbels playbook, may I remind you.

Note I was not telling Van to shut up, or that he should be ignored; just that discussing politics with someone with extremist, unsupported and isolated political views is a unproductive. I say the same thing to Green Party and Marxists and Revolutionary Worker's Party people as well, by the way.

By the way, only those who allow themselves to be "re-educated" are re-educated. We have a lot more freedoms than most places and I'm not really worried about the "nanny state".

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 03:16 PM   #24
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Some more Repo quotes:

"Suppose you thinking about a plate of shrimp. Suddenly somebody will say like plate or shrimp or plate of shrimp out of the blue no explanation. No point in looking for one either. It's all part of a cosmic unconsciousness."

"Miller (handing Otto a pine tree air freshener): You find one in every car. You'll see."

Oh, and my favorite line:

County Sheriff: From out of town, hmm? What's you got in the trunk?

J. Frank Parnell: oah...you don't want to look in there.

(thanks to the maniac who posted the entire transcript here: http://users.erols.com/bobcan/repo/script.html)

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 03:31 PM   #25
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Twisting words and shrill repetition of worst-case scenarios

Playing the "Nazi card" huh?

6 million children on Ritalin and rising. Oh no. Everything is just fine.

Ostrich.

Old 05-05-2006, 03:33 PM   #26
ksquid
Banned

I should get some kind of royalties for use of the phrase GPTB (Gray Pony Tail Brotherhood). As long it make it into the wikipedia I am fine see link in wikipedia
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 03:50 PM   #27
Rob-SV650
Founding Member

Here in AZ you can exercise your Constitutional right to carry a pistol OPENLY on your belt. This pretty much ensures the potential rager knows you are not defenseless and he/she will most likely think twice before staging an attack.

You can have whatever opinions you want about what evil things guns are but the plain and simple fact is they are simply tools in and they are a very effective deterrent, as people don't tend to attack those whom they don't feel superior to.

Those of you in states whose governments have deemed you too childlike to carry devices with which to defend your own lives are screwed though.
Rob-SV650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 03:53 PM   #28
Rob-SV650
Founding Member

GRRRRRR hurried bad editing makes me RAGE!!!!!

Ignore the 'in' after 'tools' in my post.....
Rob-SV650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 04:35 PM   #29
Haru
Founding Member

Heading home from work, I got on my ZX-12R and headed home, taking the scenic route, relishing the chance to blow out the cobwebs after a gruelling day before having a drink and dinner. I came up behind a black VW Jetta and in anticipation of the the passing zone coming up shortly, I shifted her down to 2nd. The driver of the VW lost it.

I saw him looking at me in the side view mirror and then the car started to make sharp stabbing jerks to the left over the yellow line. The sonofa***** was telling me what he'd do if I tried to pass. His swerving got more violent and all the time he was looking at me. Then he stuck his middle finger up through the sunroof.

I was shocked and rage bubbled up inside me at the uncalled for provocation and the clear threats being made to my safety. I braked and turned off at the very first sideroad that came up. I was calm enough to realize that I had better get out of the situation before anger and egos make things get out of hand and got me killed.

I cruised home very slowly. I don't express my anger with my vehicle. But I was very literally shaking with anger and couldn't type out the email to a buddy about it because my hands were shaking.

THe fellow was a fool. He had a girl with him in the car. I could read his number plate. I could have followed him. I could have been packing a concealed weapon (I know riders do). On the other hand, I think I was smart not to follow him and make him feel threatened and desperate for his and his girl's safety.

But why do people do this? He probably felt glorious and strutted around proudly at his "victory" but its all so stupid. Why create a hostile situation with other road users that can turn lethal for you or them? I am afraid that I am not above hoping that he tried this with somebody else later and got the living crap kicked out of him.

I used to post on a sportbike site and every so often some blithering idiot would announce proudly how some car cut him off or something and how proudly he pulled along side and cussed out the woman driver and kicked her door in.

what is wrong with these damn fools? Why do they act like kicking in a car door and yelling obscenities at the driver is justifiable behavior? Why do they think they can do this without deserving a corresponding response? Why is it ok to deliberately scare and insult somebody and cause damage to their car? You respond to mistakes with violence? How do you expect others to act towards you? you think they don't have egos and they don't get angry?

First you misbehave with some women, then the father comes and asks you whats up and you kick the truck and hurl obsceneties at him. Then you get run over. what a surprise. It seems that stupid KTM rider did exactly what I decided not to do with that Jetta. He escalated the situation instead of trying to diffuse it. THe guy shows up, you say, "My apologies, sir, no disrespect intended for your daughter." He yells a bit, calls you some names, you go home alive. Whats wrong with that?

What is with this stupid God delusion that people get? Especially, why do vulnerable motorcyclists get it?

I have seen motorcyclists act hostile, arrogant, and threatening too often. Its not a behaviour that I condone and I have no sympathy for riders to suffer the consequences for indulging in it.

As a two wheeler, you are riding in a dangerous jungle of big vehicles, your safety is your own responsibility, and if you can't manage your own safety and instead deliberately invite trouble, you get what you're asking for. Cars WILL cut you off, drivers often will NOT see you, some may hate bikes and show their hatred on the road. If you can't accept that and deal with it, you shouldn't be riding. And if you do ride, and end up under a truck because you aggravated the problem instead of trying to diffuse it, then whatever anybody else's blame might be, don't expect my sympathy when Darwin takes care of you.

Haru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 04:48 PM   #30
yellowduc_1
Founding Member

I have often thought that mandatory carry laws would make for a very polite society. There would probably be a prolonged period of Darwinian adjustment while the more impetuous among us weeded them selves out. Shouldn't set civilization back more than a couple of centuries.
yellowduc_1 is offline   Reply With Quote