Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-06-2006, 05:54 PM   #91
Gabe
Registered Member

Default You need to go to law school and read some law books...

Why is it that with law, everybody thinks they can apply "common sense" and know all the answers to an issue? We don't do that with medicine ("Leeches suck all the poison out of your blood! It's common sense!"), nuclear engineering ("you can't put too much water in a nuclear reactor...") or other professions. Usually, people defer to the years of training and experience that the professional has accured.

But not with law! Ol' Ofreen thinks he can second-guess over 1000 years of English Common Law and make a blanket statement about what is murder and what isn't.

Law students spend a year on criminal law, more than most subjects, precisely because of the tricky distinctions between the different kinds of homicides.

I would recommend you download the full interview with Ian (in the story). It's an MP3 file, so it downloads fast. He explains the distinction better than I ever could. Give it a try!

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-06-2006, 06:21 PM   #92
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: You need to go to law school and read some law books...

Have to agree with your law statement. After taking a Business law class, applying "common sense" gets you a D or F.. The study of law is more subtle and complex than what people think.. Just like in engineering.. A electronics tech can't always go on to be an electrical engineer... The first LaPlace Transform , a fundamental way to do electronic circuit analysis, they run into usually sends them for a loop..

Law can be as abstract as any scientific field in my opinion.
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 06:21 PM   #93
Airfiddler
Founding Member

Default Re: Road Rage and You

How come nobody caught the slow moped/Harley comment ? Stop picking on mopeds.
Airfiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 07:06 PM   #94
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: Be assertive but not agressive.

I have to admit it Kpaul, this particular post is as close as you've ever been to rational.
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 07:08 PM   #95
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: Um, Hitler is not a leftist.

I've got one for you too. http://www.pot-tv.net/
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 07:47 PM   #96
ofreen
Registered Member

Default Re: You need to go to law school and read some law books...

II looked over my post to see if I advocated applying 'common sense' to law. I don't see where I did.

I listened to the interview and heard the discussion about premeditation and 'crimes of passion.' I didn't hear anything I haven't heard before. The business about how premeditation can happen in a second and the heat of passion can go on for an extended time is the core of my point. That kind of distinction is a lawyer's bread and butter. It is also pretty much a creation of lawyers. The lawyer himself says 'different courts will say different things.' Pretty subjective. Why are people less responsible for their actions just because they are really p*ssed off? If premeditation can happen over an extended time, or happen in an instant, what is the difference? The killer has made the choice that somebody else deserves to die because that somebody did something the killer didn't like. And then they act on that choice.

ofreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 08:52 PM   #97
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: Be assertive but not agressive.

LOL touche'
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 05:46 AM   #98
boru4761
Registered Member

Default Re: and wear a full face helmet.

dlrph,

I am glad you liked my story. It still makes me laugh everytime I tell it. However, I think I should xpln a few things in response.

1) I do not carry, concealed or otherwise. The laws in my state on assault and use of firearms make carrying a firearm almost ridiculous.

2) I am a huge fan of gun ownership and the right of citizens to carry a handgun in self defense.

With those two disclaimers out of the way... This statement:

At which point you shoot him/her thru the windshield b/c like any good citizen who planned to carry a firearm while riding a motorcycle, you have spent long hours riding a dirtbike over rough terrain and double tapping moving targets with your Glock in your non dominant hand.

No. I am not kidding.

...was meant to be funny and/or bitterly sarcastic b/c it was ridiculous hyperbole. My point was that if you carry a firearm while riding, you had better know how to shoot it from a moving motorcycle (b/c we all know that if you stop you are probably dead). If you are carrying but have not actually trained this way, a gun is going to be about as effective as a firecracker in your typical road rage situation. Armed citizens taking pot shots at each other in heavy traffic sounds like a recipe for a lot of collateral damage to me. Something I find completely unacceptable. Hence, the 'No. I am not kidding.' at the end.

Thank you for reading and responding to my post, dlrph. When I re-read it, I realized the true sarcasm was not coming thru and it just sounding like I was condoning some kind of militant dirt-biking.

boru4761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 06:16 AM   #99
ncelik
Registered Member

Default Re: Road Rage and You

Thank you very much for this article.

My subscription is expiring soon, and I was pretty sure not to renew, due to the lack of high-quality. Not that you guys do not have any, but other (free) sites have them too, and you need to be above them. Articles like this make it happen!

(And if I can make a suggestion, a shootout where you grade the bikes for street and not only track would be awsome)
ncelik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 08:32 AM   #100
davidhaner
Founding Member

Default Re: Um, Hitler is not a leftist.

Serious touche dude, I'm way gonna go wax my board now.
davidhaner is offline   Reply With Quote