Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-01-2006, 03:16 AM   #51
cstewart77
Founding Member

Default Re: Gorilla in a Tuxedo: 2006 BMW K1200R

BMW dealers do seem to treat you different as well.....my local dealer is amazing...worth the added cost of admission.

cstewart77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-01-2006, 03:18 AM   #52
IceWorm
Founding Member

I am old enough to remember when BMWs were considered real motorcycles, not Kawis. I didn't buy the real bike, snob, BS back then, don't buy it now!
IceWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 03:36 AM   #53
IceWorm
Founding Member

There is nothing "automatic" about the suspension adjustment. If you want to adjust the dampening on the naked R bike, you do it manually just like any other bike with this adjustment. The difference is on the BMW you can do it on the fly from the left switch pod. If you can't see the advantage in that, you may need to spend more time in the saddle!
Old 05-01-2006, 03:47 AM   #54
IceWorm
Founding Member

Very predictable. Imagine American performance bike enthusiast calling a BMW ugly. That has only been going on for about 40 years and counting. Hell, even BMW owners call them ugly. I remember when BMW came out with the R75/5. BMW fans immediately named it the "Toaster Tank", and then proceeded to buy them hand over fist.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:56 AM   #55
IceWorm
Founding Member

Anyone other than me remember Johnnyb's review of the first R11RS way back when. The only comment that sticks in my memory from that story is "BMWs and the people who ride them are not my cup of tea". Just wondering if anything has changed Mr. Burns?
Old 05-01-2006, 05:36 AM   #56
ValkBandit
Founding Member

good point. when i was shopping for a touring bike the dealer tossed me the keys to a K1200LT and said, "i'll see you in a few hours."

the local gold wing dealer didn't do that.
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 05:45 AM   #57
SRMark
Founding Member

Could your MO name being ValkBandit have something to do with a Honda dealer not tossing the keys to you for a test spin?
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 05:58 AM   #58
ggsoule
Founding Member

I have one. It has definitely grown on me. The steering did feel vague at first, but with a couple thousand miles under my belt, I find it's handling to be very good. The article was dead on. As far as styling, it definitely stands out. There are a lot of sleeker, more aesthetically pleasing bikes out there. Literally hundreds of thousands of them. It is nice to see something different, every once in a while. It actually gets most of the attention when I ride with the sport bike crowd.
ggsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 09:19 AM   #59
DonM
Founding Member

You're right about the front end resembling Bender the Robot.

I always thought the 1200C bore a strong resemblence to Bill the Cat from Outland.

I just got a '93 K1100LT and I really like the light weight and agressive highway power and handling. And I'm glad they designed it before Sponge Bob Squarepants became popular.
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:35 AM   #60
Auphliam
Founding Member

So, exactly what is a Hossack style duo-lever fork? And is there any real use for servo assisted brakes?

And why do they feel a nice bike has to look so stupid? Do they have a 'stupid-meter' over there that they measure their bikes against before they choose a final design? There's always something about the beemers.

To continue with a thought from another poster here, duct-tape a shop light onto your air compressor and there you have it. C'mon, just build a damn motorcycle, please.

They come up with a killer motor/chassis combo and then kill it with junk like that just so they can say "look what our massive brains have created".

If I was given one, I would lop the front off at the neck and bolt on a set of Ohlins upside downers. Then grab a speed triple headlight set from a salvage yard. Voila, ass kickin naked bike that doesn't look like it came from Sears.

Maybe they need half as many engineers involved and a few more "enthusiasts".

Good write though, Gabe. I'm glad I renewed.