Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-28-2006, 10:06 AM   #11
robb_millett
Registered Member

Default Re: Gorilla in a Tuxedo: 2006 BMW K1200R

sweet. buying the kawasaki2K, you can join the masses of other "Me-Too!" bikers and parade off in the shining sea of black leather, Beanies, and ant-man sunglasses.

sounds heavenly.

"real bike domain" *snort*
robb_millett is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-28-2006, 10:16 AM   #12
brandenw
Founding Member

Of course, the BMW is more aerodynamic (sp?) and 200 lbs. lighter dry. I think that more than makes up for any difference in torque. It'd leave the 2000 behind in a straight line, I'd guess (bet, even).

Of course, it's all an issue of what kind of riding you want to do and whether you need the handling of standard or not.
brandenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 10:26 AM   #13
Jonniedee
Founding Member

Default Re: Comrade BMW

Goes by the name "Urinal"...lol
Jonniedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 11:13 AM   #14
Tomas_P
Founding Member

Sixty-two inch wheelbase? 10 inches longer than a nekkid little XB12? Crimony. A locomotive. That would seem to argue against this Beemer's corner-carving capability. And although a fair amount of torque is available, its offset by a lot of mass. (Erik Buell's old rules about low mass, centralized, and low CG do not appear to be much heeded here.)

I share previous comments questioning this bike's intended buyers. It might be a tough sell here in the States. Odd appearance, pricey, and there's some tough competition in the marketplace. Still, its an interesting design and I'm glad BMW has brought it to the U.S. market. Diversity in motorbikes is a good thing.

Thanks for the article, Gabe.
Tomas_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 11:41 AM   #15
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Gorilla in a speedo: 2006 BMW K1200R

Lately, BMW seem to have gone for wacky car styling that looks like a cross between a lantern fish and a veg-a-matic.

Is this seeping over into the bikes too? I mean, hey... I love all motorcycles, from motorized bicycles to the Road Dawg, but man that's one ooogly motorcycle.

Maybe the Krauts have taken this "form follows function" thing too far. Bauhaus meet Cowhaus.

Mooooo

Old 04-28-2006, 12:13 PM   #16
davidhaner
Founding Member

This BMW is a rocket. My friend has one, we ride together a lot. He leaves me in the dust on my SV650S. I can make up for it in the corners, but that thing is a cannon.
davidhaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 12:15 PM   #17
davidhaner
Founding Member

I agree on principle but the balance on it is extremely well done; I'm not sure how they did it but it certainly doesn't feel that heavy. It's deceptive.
davidhaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 01:06 PM   #18
seruzawa
The Toad

Nice enough bike.

But for $15K+ I can get a KLR650 and an FZ1. If I go used I can get the above plus a VTX1800.

Like any other BMW motorcycle, just wait a couple of years and pick one up on the used market, if you really want one. The days are loooonnnng gone when BMW built any better quality than anyone else. In fact, with rear hub problems BMW has been experiencing, their quality is middle of the pack. Definitely not worth the Beemer tax.

I've just never wanted to join the BMW snobs. They can be worse than Harley snobs.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:38 PM   #19
seruzawa
The Toad

Maybe if BMW offered Teutonic-styled armchaps?
Old 04-28-2006, 01:50 PM   #20
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Ya know if you slipped a fishnet stocking over the front fork supports she'd be quite a looker.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote