Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-27-2006, 07:47 AM   #21
drewquant
Founding Member

Default Re: Battle Ready: Aerostich Combat Tour Boots

I have had a pair of lites for about a year now and have used them on light off road journeys twice and even a super moto track day and have just loved them. I have also used them in driving long rains with no leaks but you have to treat them like it explains in the manual. The manual goes on and on how to do this and it really works. These boots are designed for all around everyday use and making them vented or water proof or armored would reduce their minimalist approach what simply works. I highly recommend getting the insoles aerostich offers as well they really made mine more comfy when walking and can help with sizing a pair as well.

the break in is long but these are not fashion boots they are for the real deal committed rider who wants the best. Wearing these boots gives you credibility in remote parts of the globe from fellow hard core nuters that you just can't buy. Show up at the beginning of the Iron Butt and see how many of those guys are wearing Aerostich head to toe!

Just my opinion but these boots are ideal all around ride almost anywhere boots. Like nothing else out there for sure.
drewquant is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-27-2006, 08:56 AM   #22
gniewko
Registered Member

Quite the opposite. I ride in all kinds of weather, and while wet feet aren't the end of the world, they're very unpleasant. And it gets much worse when it gets cold. Try even just 2 hours on a bike in a downpour with soaking wet feet and then get back to me.

I don't like having wet feet, so I see absolutely no reason to ever buy boots that aren't waterproof. Especially since there is no disadvantage to good GoreTex waterproofing (apart from maybe lack of ventillation scoops).
gniewko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 10:27 AM   #23
Steve781
Founding Member

Default Sidi On Roads?

All these comments, and not one mention of the sidi on road, far and away my favorite boots. There is an old review around here somewhere that cites them as being absolutely waterproof. The are kinda ugly for wearing around work, but then so am I. For touring, walking around the mall, dancing at raves, and climbing smaller mountains they are great. Mine are 5 years old and still clean up well. There was a very short break in period, less than a month. I had one minor wreck while wearing them, 30 mph in gravel. Minor scratching to the boots, no damage to my feet.

I have considered the CTB as a replacement when (if) the Sidi's die, but nothing in this review suggests I would be happier with the CTB's than with my On Roads.
Steve781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 10:35 AM   #24
Steve781
Founding Member

Default Re: Sidi On Roads?

Here is the old MO article

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcbeware/sympatex.html
Old 04-27-2006, 02:19 PM   #25
nweaver
Founding Member

There are two sole options, which are the same as on the regular combat tour.

The amber wedge sole has the heel, the cleated sole is (supposidly) more walkable.

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 04:12 AM   #26
jmoore813
Registered Member

Been there, done that, and yes I agree, it is unpleasant. But I see nothing wrong with getting a pair of boots that you need to waterproof as opposed to outright ignoring them because of no GoreTex lining.

Naturally, ymmv
jmoore813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 04:17 AM   #27
jmoore813
Registered Member

Here are my two issues with the On Roads, and please correct me if I'm mistaken:

1) It only has the 4 velcro closures straps, with no other method of securing the boot to your foot. I like the lace system with the motocross buckle, followed by the velcro on the CBTs. Of course, maybe I'm just paranoid.

2) the soles are not easily repairable (ie Good Year Welt construction). I like my boots serviceable and repairable.

Other than that, the On Roads would be on my very short list of boots to buy.

jmoore813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 05:11 AM   #28
Chrisbuyer
Founding Member

I wear "DD" extra wide shoes. Do they make an extra wide version?
Chrisbuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 05:51 AM   #29
gniewko
Registered Member

Yeah, but do-it-yourself waterproofing never seems to work quite as well as GoreTex. A few years ago I used to ride in German army boots treated with waterproofing stuff (don't remember the brand, but it was some sort of cream you rub in). They stayed dry longer than untreated boots, but still got wet eventually. I never had that problem with GoreTex boots - I can walk through ankle-deep puddles in those.

Oh, that reminds me of my favorite "waterproof" story: I was at the motorcycle show in NYC a couple years ago, and at one of the booths they were selling "waterproof" boots. To prove how they're waterproof, they had a setup with a steady stream of water flowing over the foot part of a sample boot. Pretty impressive, until I actually squeezed my hand into the boot to check (it was a very small size). And of course the inside was soaked.

I've been bitten before (well more like soaked) by "waterproof" claims, so now I don't trust anything other than GoreTex...
gniewko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 02:59 AM   #30
Steve781
Founding Member

True, there are 4 velcro straps, but they double back through buckles the same way webbing strap buckles work, then they velcro in place. No way they are coming lose. The lowest of the 4 straps closes up around the ankle very effectively. These boots are not coming off.

See photo

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcbewar...tos/sidi3.html

Being resoleable might be an issue. These are not. I've had my Bates fastlanes resoled twice in about 8 years, but I wear them all day at work. 5 years on with about 40k miles on the sidi boots plus lots of other wear, the soles look fine. I'll wear them for the commute on rainy days, so the on roads get some walking around wear. Some other reviews I've seen did suggest the soles wear out quickly. Perhaps those other riders drag their feet when coming to a stop? After all, how do you wear out the soles of a non-mx motorcycle boot?