Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-21-2001, 03:49 PM   #1
Tristan7
Founding Member

Default Re: 2001 Yamaha Vino Reader Feedback

I'll admit it- I had a Yamaha Riva 80 scooter in high school and it was a blast! I'd seriously consider getting one as a commuter but the EPA's 50cc cutoff for 2 strokes is just too low. The 80 I had was a 2 stroke, and it would do 60-65 mph. There are some cool 250+ 4 stroke scoots coming out, but the damn things are like $5K!
Tristan7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-21-2001, 03:49 PM   #2
Damon
Founding Member

Hey...my first first post. Yippee.

I want one. Cheap, bound to be stone reliable, the insurance is probably a whopping $300 a year. About a thousand miles per gallon. Good first bike maybe? I'l buy one for my own 225# carcass, and if it turns out to be too little, too late...I'll give it to mom.
Damon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2001, 03:53 PM   #3
Tristan7
Founding Member

Hey MO- if I pay to use this site, can you auto-edit the words "first post"? It's sooo played out!

It's good to be over 30- my insurance on a VTR1000 is well under $300/yr.
Tristan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2001, 04:54 PM   #4
Millencolin
Founding Member

I was amazed to find out that my insurance was exactly $300 per year on a '96 CBR600. I was a 19 year old male!! I'm still only 20 and moved the policy to my 2000 Yamaha R6 and it's still the same price. I thought it would be much more than that, they may have made a mistake, but i'm sure as hell not gonna start asking questions! lol

I'm currently going to school at Oregon State Univ. and i think a scooter would be very cool to have. I almost bought one last summer but couldnt quite come up with the cash.
Millencolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2001, 05:06 PM   #5
stevecs
Founding Member

These things are really cool looking, I saw it in black and dark red at the Seattle cycle show, It was probably the most impressive looking bike there! (to me anyway)
stevecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2001, 06:01 PM   #6
El_Flaco
Founding Member

The Vino has a really nice look to it. Very chic and practical at the same time. Scooters are cool, especially this one. You're right about the whole European fascination with scooters; I visited southern Spain last summer (many of the places Minime ventured to on the FZ-1 test!), and in all the cities, scooters ruled the roads. Lots of Aprilia scooters, wild racing paint schemes, loud racing pipes (!) and helmets were few and far between. Great area, nice people, beautiful weather, great roads, tons of bikes and the cities made me appreciate scooters all the more. I hope they catch on in US cities! Thanks for giving them some attention on the site... Any chance of seeing the Italjet Dragster 180 LC reviewed? That has to be one of the coolest scooters out there.
Old 02-21-2001, 06:41 PM   #7
brmplb
Founding Member

I visited Taipei, Taiwan three times last year on business. It was the first time I had ever been to Asia. I think someone told me that Taipei has a population of about 7 million and about 6 million motor scooters. All I know is that I was just totally blown away by the number and variety of scooters. Imagine every sidewalk lined with scooters parked side by side and two deep. Imagine large parking lots filled with nothing but scooters. There are two stop lines at intersections. One for cars and one closer to the intersection for scooters. The scoots just filter through the chaotic yet relaxed traffic to the scooter line and get a great holeshot when the light turns green. I saw three people (two adults and a kid) riding at a time. I saw a guy in the computer shopping district carrying more boxes and stuff on his scoot than I can fit in my car. They ranged from new Yamaha Vinos (high end scoot) to old Vespas. Others popular makes were Kymco, Hyosung, and Honda. There were actually very few motorcycles. They have like a 250cc limit on scooters and motorcycles. The closest thing I saw to a sportbike were Ninja 250s. The medium to nicer scoots all had disc brakes. Inspired by how much fun it all looked, I started looking at them when I came back home and was appalled by the crappy selection, poor quality, and unbelievably high prices of scooters in the US. I ended up getting a Honda CBR600F4i instead. Go figure. Scoots rule.
brmplb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2001, 06:41 PM   #8
bigjames
Premium Member

Now don't get me wrong, I really like the scooter. However, I would get arrested for motorcycle abuse if I ever sat on one. I like my bikes to be a lot bigger than me.

The point I want to mention is that this thing looks an awful lot like a toilet, with the seat up!
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2001, 04:06 AM   #9
IceWorm
Registered Member

Very funny. Your comment reminds me of a famous Jack Valence quote that I will paraphrase here. I crap bigger than a Vino. If I wanted a scoot I would go with Aprilia and their direct injection technology. We are talking pollution and gas mileage figures equal to four strokes of equal displacement yet typical two stroke power. As far as I know the Japs have been too cheap to license this injection technology. So their scoots have more expensive four stoke engines. A direct injection 150 cc two stroke makes the same or more power as a typical four stroke 250 cc scooter engine and is much cheaper to produce. I would love to see the difference in gas mileage between the Aprilia 50 cc scoot with injection technology compared to the Vino without it.
IceWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2001, 04:35 AM   #10
Chris_VTR
Founding Member

You MO guys should do a story on the YSR50 racing movement in this country. These bikes haven't been made for ten years, and yet they're being raced competitively all across the U.S. and Canada. These 50cc sportbikes are a blast to ride, and there are loads of performance parts available for them. MO, please do a story on YSR racing!

If we could convince manufacturers that there is still a market for these smaller bikes, we may end up seeing an increase in the variety sold here. The same has happened for naked retro bikes - now let's lobby for scooters and mini-sportbikes!

(and yes, I do own and race a YSR so I'm biased :^P )
Chris_VTR is offline   Reply With Quote