Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-03-2001, 01:21 PM   #41
MrDeadeye
Founding Member

Default Scooter Hop-Ups

I live in Tokyo and, as you can imagine, scooters are very popular here. I mostly see kids and women of all ages riding them because they are cheap and licensing requirements are soft.

There is a big market for scooter hop-up parts with some shops specializing in this area alone. I see specially modified exhausts more than anything else. I don't know how much they improve performance.

Deadeye

MrDeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-07-2001, 11:12 AM   #42
Sandy_Daugherty
Founding Member

Default Re: How about some displacement?

The 250cc reflex is $5K. I haven't seen any indication that the bigger, 582cc (most people call it a 600) Silver Wing will ever be available in the US. Ditto for the very interesting Yamaha Tmax 500 and the Suzuki Burgman, a 400cc scooter that very popular as a tourer (?!) in Britain. These scooters are all engineering wonders, with a real in-your-face Buck-Rogers-does-1970-Invicta look. Wish I were wrong!
Sandy_Daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2001, 11:30 AM   #43
kookyzoo
Founding Member

Default MO: Yam T-Max?

Blip, what happened to Glenn Le Santo's end of year roadtest of the T-Max, which he mentioned in the launch review?
kookyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2001, 05:07 PM   #44
bubba_n
Founding Member

Default Re: $300 a year for insurance!?

they don't - insurance is about $60 a year for me - and i think that's a rip. what the hell kinda trouble you gonna get into on this thing? biggest fear of mine on my vino is outrunning dogs chasing me - no joke.
bubba_n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2001, 05:23 PM   #45
bubba_n
Founding Member

Default Re: Bicycle vs. Scooter

I have ridden bicycles and motorcycles and scooters for most of my life. I have ridden across country on a motorcycle, and have put thousand s and thousands of miles on bicycles. Believe me gang - bicycles are much more dangerous. I damn near got killed on one by some fuzznut talking on a cellphone and running a stop sign. I had no acceleration on the bicycle - had i been on my Vino or my Zuma2 I could have easily gotten out of Richard Cranium's way. If riding either - wear a helmet - mine saved my life for sure. Also, scooters and motorcycles have headlights and folks don't treat you like you are a retard for riding one around like they do on a bicycle. You would not believe the number of times people have intentionally run me off the road or faked running into me at stop signs and stuff like that on bicycles. You see - the dumb asses that do this stuff know you can't catch em on a bicycle. On a scooter, they figure you're a martian, i reckon, cause they don't mess with you. Word of experience - forget damn bicycles for commuting! Scooters rule.
bubba_n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2001, 02:20 PM   #46
Radixx
Founding Member

Default Re: 2001 Yamaha Vino Reader Feedback

I live in Downtown Savannah Georgia, a perfect place for a scooter and I am very seriously thinking about a "Vino". My only hesitation is that I don't want to look too tall for it. I'm only six feet tall but my impression is that since this is primarily made for the asian market I might look (and feel) too awkward on this bike. Can anyone who's seen one get back to me about that? Since I won't get a chance most likely to see one, I'll probably have to order one sight unseen. For some weird reason I never see scooters or mopeds here aside from the odd vintage Vespa and I really feel that this is the perfect place for one. Please respond here or by email at radixx@onebox.com. I really would appreciate some feedback on this, thanks in advance
Radixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 08:47 AM   #47
FLSVRider
Founding Member

I bought a 01 for my fiancee and she loves it.

It is perfect for urban areas...I have ridden it on a few occasions and it does seem a bit small for me but I am 6'4" 235#...so most things are a bit small for me.

If you are still concerned about size and can pop for about $1000 more than an Aprilia RS50 is just the ticket. Otherwise Honda is releasing a retro scooter called the Metro that looks almost as cool as the Vino and will retail within a few $$ of the Vino. Be aware that Yamaha is bringing over the Vino Classic for 02 Adds distinctive colors and some chrome for $100 more than regular Vino.
Old 07-19-2002, 10:14 AM   #48
dmueller
Founding Member

Think about the Kymco "People". while still 50 cc. it does have larger wheels and looks more like a motorcycle. Also appears to be well equiped (speedo gas gauge and clock) and beautifullly finished. There is one around my office in Washington DC that already has 11K on it, quite a bit for such a machine. Must be pretty durable. Much favored by messengers.