Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-23-2001, 03:25 PM   #31
NickdaBrick
Founding Member

Default Re: 2001 Yamaha Vino Reader Feedback

If Yamaha really wants to sell scooters in the US, they will take a page out of the Road Star marketing manual, and build a 300cc replica of an old Cushman. That would sell.
NickdaBrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-23-2001, 04:08 PM   #32
greatoldbikes
Founding Member

Default How about some displacement?

I also had a Yamaha scooter in college, a 180 Riva (4-stroke). It was perfect: fast for a scooter, carried two people easily, reliable as a hammer. I see that Honda has the 500cc Silverwing coming out, but c'mon, $5000?? For that dough you can buy a great used sportbike- heck my pristine 94 GSXR 750 was only $4400! How about a 200cc 4-stroke with Vino styling, disc brakes, a loud, loud horn, and about $2500. I'd get one.

GOB
Old 02-23-2001, 07:02 PM   #33
dmueller
Founding Member

Default Re: How about some displacement?

Amen, something with at least 15-20 real horsepower should enable safe use on limited access highways and be about as fast as 10 wheels , a short wheelbase and iffy brakes would allow to be used with (some) safety.
Old 02-23-2001, 08:07 PM   #34
lexs
Founding Member

pssstt, SB8RC, it is a two stroke. Just as a guess that might be why so much of the conversation on this page has been about two strokes.

If you want it to smoke try running four stroke motor oil in the injection.
lexs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2001, 12:00 PM   #35
motomyth
Founding Member

I just had to comment about this scooter. It is a good-looking little thing. However, if you weight much more than 150 lbs. forget it. I am six foot 325lbs and I rode a Vino about a block and realized I was crushing the little thing. I feel fine on the Zuma II, go figure.
motomyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2001, 12:50 PM   #36
Troutbucket
Registered Member

It's bad to be under 25, I pay over twice that for my VTR.
Troutbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2001, 01:12 PM   #37
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default You are both right and wrong...

The Vino *is* suitable transportation in any community or neighborhood where a bicycle is suitable. So there are plenty of places in America they are viable for riding around on, but you just don't want to venture *outside* of the residential area with 30mph or less speed limits. The Vino is just an alternative form of the "NAV" (neighborhood activity vehicle) which is becoming more popular every year. Some "NAVs" are actually golf cars with street-legal lighting and some communities have passed laws specifically allowing them anywhere the speed limit is 30mph or less. OTOH you are quite correct such things have no place on major thoroughfares and for some people who have to get on primary traffic arteries to get anywhere they are NOT suitable.

IMHO most people have no reason to buy a Vino since a bicycle is a better alternative and can make almost as good time if you're fit --or help you get that way if you're not while paying for NO insurance, NO fuel and extremely little maintenance compared to any motor vehicle). The Vino is just a fashion accessory and will sell or not sell on the basis of how stylish it is perceived. I think quite a few people will love the style and they will sell.
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 11:29 AM   #38
Rene
Founding Member

Default Re: You are both right and wrong...

I agree a bicycle is cheaper, but a scooter doesn't get tired. I also think it's easier to haul groceries home on (or in) the Vino storage compartment. Throw in the good lighting, turn signals, etc, I think the scooter is potentially safer than a bicycle. As a person injued in an accident and now using a cane to get around, I can tell you a scooter would be a more practical idea for me. Not to mention all the self-righteous "enviro friendly" superior A$$HOLES who ride bicycles on the sidewalk, endangering pedestrians - handicapped or not, because THEY are worried about their own safety and refuse to ride on the street, even if there IS room.
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2001, 02:18 PM   #39
RobbyRacer
Founding Member

Not to plug another cycle magazine, but Cycle Canada is only in print, and available in Canada. They had some artices in late 2000 about the 50 cc bike racers - Check with your local library, they may know how to get in you a copy without having to back order an issue.

There have also been quite a few good articles about smaller displacement bikes - hopefully that is a trend developing - with bikes like Kawasaki's Ninja 250 hauling down the road at a top end of 100 mph.

That should be enough (especially for people over 40 - like me). I've had my share of large displacement bikes that I have never taken anywhere close to 100 mph.

I hope the scooters catch on!!!
RobbyRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2001, 02:24 PM   #40
RobbyRacer
Founding Member

Default Re: You are both right and wrong...

I ride a $3,000 road bike (Just like Lance!!), consider myself fit, can cruise at 30 mph for hours, but would never take it to get groceries. You just can't carry anything but a few water bottles and, heaven forbid, a few articles in a knapsack. Plus who can walk in those shoes!!!

If you want to ride a bike to do your grocery shopping, skip over to the gym, get to school, you'll be doing it at less than 30 mph. Scooters do have a purpose - and they look cool.
RobbyRacer is offline   Reply With Quote