Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-22-2001, 10:21 PM   #21
Neal
Founding Member

Default Re: 2001 Yamaha Vino Reader Feedback

CosmopolitanMotors is sponsoring a 50cc Derbi series this year in AHRMA and i know some tracks have an Aprilia 50cc series so I think its happeningI just wish I wasnt so old and fat...it looks like so much fun!
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-23-2001, 08:05 AM   #22
IceWorm
Founding Member

Thanks, I was not aware of these problems. I must say it is at least possible that surging is considered by some to be a minor problem. BMWs with fure injection have had this problem for years and they sell a fair amount of bikes. You make a good point though in that this problem would me much more noticeable in larger engines. I have never heard of OMC. My comment about the Japanese was overly sarcastic. I have wondered though why they have not licensed this technology considering how many small displacement bikes and scooters they make. With companies like Aptilia and Sundiro using Orbital's system I would think they would worry about falling behind. Maybe they plan on developing their own systems and then let their large legal departments deal with infringement problems in the courts?
IceWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2001, 08:10 AM   #23
IceWorm
Founding Member

Default Harleys Suck, They Really Do!

Their owners for the most part are fine though.
IceWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2001, 08:15 AM   #24
SamBlob
Founding Member

Default Re: Virago

Actually, I wouldn't mind a Virago 250...
SamBlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2001, 08:20 AM   #25
SamBlob
Founding Member

So when is the U.S. going to get the Vespas ET2 (50cc direct-injection 2-stroke) and ET4 (150cc 4-stroke)?

I think I'd rather have a Helix, though.
SamBlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2001, 09:29 AM   #26
Haru
Founding Member

America really isn't suitable for that tiny thing. I used to have a Honda scooter that had a top speed of about 45mph and it was the most practical thing. But that was not in this country.

Think about this for a second: unless you can travel for miles and have access to 90% of the places you need to go without needing to exceed 25mph, great. My old College town would be perfect. But if your area is criss crossed with major roads where traffic travels at 50+mph stop light to stop light, you can't really ride this thing. You'll block traffic, and worse risk getting rear ended by some jack ass who didn't realise how slow you were going.

No body expects to get on the interstate on these things, but really 30mph is just too slow to be safe and practical in a world where 10,000lb suvs go 7mph, 100 yds from your front window
Haru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2001, 11:15 AM   #27
provegan
Founding Member

Default Re: Great to be 40

MY insurance for a K1100RS and my 1966 Honda 305 Dream is $143/year (7 month riding season). No S***!
provegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2001, 12:33 PM   #28
lexs
Founding Member

IceWorm, First, yes the 259 BMWs surge (I've owned a couple) but while annoying and (IMO) inexcusable it is really pretty minor. I understand the DI two strokes are much worse.

On the more important subject, I wonder if the Japanese consider the two stroke a dead issue out side the third world.

At least one Japanese company, Honda, has an alternative to Orbital's technology. It is called Active Radical Combustion (ARC). They were showing it off a lot several years ago (they even produced a Japan only bike with ARC) but have been very quiet about it since. I don't know if the quiet is because they had problems or they just think two strokes are not worth perusing in countries rich enough to worry about air pollution.

FWIW, ARC sounded very promising, I got a chance to talk to Kevin Cameron* about it a few years ago. He had seen Honda's research and was impressed. Kevin said it was very clean, produced amazingly consistent power (all two strokes surge a little, ARC two strokes surge less than diesels) and cheap (fuel injection not required) to build.

*Talk about a motor geeks dream, I met Kevin in a hotel elevator during the US WSB round. We talked for a good while, later I saw him at the track and he introduced me to Steve Whitlock, then the chief tech inspector for WSB. We talked (OK, they talked, I listened) about some of the cool new ways to cheat and other tech stuff that never makes publications. Nerd nirvana.
lexs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2001, 01:11 PM   #29
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default $300 a year for insurance!?

Based on what I pay for insurance on a motorcycle that cost several times as much and goes several times as fast, I'd raise hell if they charged more than $50 for that thing.
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2001, 01:42 PM   #30
ttcaml
Founding Member

I talked to a guy from Aprilia at the MC Show in Chicago a couple weeks ago, I asked him if they were going to market a street-leagel DI RS 250. He said that Aprilia was not currently working on the DI, and is probably going to introduce a 4-cycle version sometime in the future. Off the subject, but can anyone else see that RS 250 motor in a YSR 50? THAT would be a scooter!
ttcaml is offline   Reply With Quote