Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-22-2001, 04:05 AM   #11
Patrick-of-the-Hills
Founding Member

Default Re: 2001 Yamaha Vino Reader Feedback

The trendy kids at my suburban Minneapolis high school in the late '80s all had scooters (Razzes, Elites) before they were old enough for full licenses. Vespas have always had that Mod/Beat/Eurocore thing going for them. Unfortunately, if you have to do any highway work at all, they're ironically impractical (except for a comparative whale like a Helix, which is really more a motorcycle than a scooter). Scooters are nice for the Hamptons (Martha has one, for God's sake!) but some of us have to pass in favor of real motorcycles, small or otherwise. Yeah, it's a heartbreaker....
Patrick-of-the-Hills is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-22-2001, 04:24 AM   #12
TBones
Founding Member

I'll be damned. I play this smug little game before I look at the reader feedback for any particular article, and guess the main theme or themes for the posts. For this, I picked "Why would you idiots at MO waste my time on a damned SCOOTER article when you can't even do a decent REAL bike review."

Thanks for making me so wrong! I'm glad to see an open discussion about something other than "My bike's faster than your's, and by the way, Harley's suck."

I've never been on a scooter (I've had a blast on a moped though), but they do seem very practicle for 'round town, not to mention an actual fun way to run errands. Thanks for the review, MO. Interesting reading.

-Tom
TBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2001, 04:28 AM   #13
NickdaBrick
Founding Member

I just checked on e-bay and found a '79 CBX for less than $1600. Slightly cheaper was an '85 Yamaha Virago 1000 with less than 10,000 miles for under $1300, both of which ask the question: Who would buy a dinky tiddler when, for less money, you can get a real bike that is more practical everywhere except a few inner city neighborhoods, can carry more than one person, and blow most cars into the weeds? The difference in purchase price alone can pay for an awful lot of gas. The Vino will be a tough sell in the states, and likely shall remain a fringe product cheifly appealing to the wealthy who already own a fat SUV for trips to the drycleaners.
NickdaBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2001, 04:28 AM   #14
lexs
Founding Member

IceWorm, just a note on direct injection. I don't think it is quite as simple as the Japanese being "too cheap", direct injection has had plenty of problems. Most motorcyclist know about the Bimota fiasco, I understand problems with the orbital system just about bankrupted OMC (an American outboard boat motor company) and most of the outboard manufacturers have given up on it, they are building four-strokes. Also, the cost difference between a high pressure direct injection two stroke and simple four stroke isn't a much as you would think. The advantages of the two stroke (more power from a given size and weight) as important as cost in the argument for DI. I would like to see more about the Aprilia system, is it really clean? Would it work on larger engines? The last is based on my understanding that one of the problems with DI is surging, not a problem on 100 CC scooter (two modes, full throttle and closed throttle) but it would be a problem as the engine gets bigger. While I would like to see clean two strokes there are problems, don't hold your breath.
lexs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2001, 04:31 AM   #15
lexs
Founding Member

Nick, You are probably right about the Vino not selling in the US but FWIW, I bet you could run the scooter for six months for the price of a valve adjustment on the CBX.
lexs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2001, 04:33 AM   #16
TBones
Founding Member

There are a lot of folks who don't WANT a Virago 1000. Vehicles, especially the two-wheeled kind, appeal to people for far more reasons than horsepower. I think sales for these things will do okay. Not great, but okay.

-Tom
TBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2001, 04:52 AM   #17
ducatirdr
Founding Member

Default Re: 50cc is fun

When my Ducati dealer started carrying Aprilia scooters I thought he was crazy, but they are selling.

I got to take an Aprilia RS50 for a test ride and I plan on buying one when I have an extra 3k. That bike is FUN. You're in full race mode when riding it anywhere as you are constantly on the pipe winding it out and planning your next move. The thing handles like a 125 GP bike. One of the guys put an 80cc kit on his and now he has to watch for cops.

It's all about having fun
ducatirdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2001, 09:19 PM   #18
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Ha!

I rode my Vespa P200E from San Francisco to New Orleans and back, and it wasn't bad at all.

Not the best way to travel, but not the worst, either. Scooters rule!

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2001, 09:29 PM   #19
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Virago=I have no taste!

You couldn't PAY me $1300 to ride a Virago. I have nothing against obese lesbians, but I don't want to be associated with them.

Some folks just feel a motorcycle is to big a commitment. A scooter is just transportation, but a person with a Virago or a CBX, well, they probably have some kind of bizzare agenda, like Jay Leno's turbine bike, only more affordable.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2001, 09:59 PM   #20
SB8RC
Founding Member

Big deal yamaha if it was a two stroke it would be cool. I only pay 86 dollars a year on my 1999 cbr600f4. Yeah I still might buy it but I would put a smoke bellowing chain saw sounding 2 stroke engine in it. It would definately be over 50 cc. Merry Christmas.
SB8RC is offline   Reply With Quote