Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   2006 Middleweight Supersports: Is 675 Cheating? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/3514-2006-middleweight-supersports-675-cheating.html)

Buzglyd 04-20-2006 09:41 AM

One extreme to the other

This test had either big ol' boys or jockeys.

I know of one 5-10 185 lb guy who would have nicely fit into this test!

Templewood 04-20-2006 09:49 AM

Re: 2006 Middleweight Supersports: Is 675 Cheating?

I was glad to see the Triumph was in this middleweight shootout, but dissapointed by the abscence of the Ducati 749. It seems that no matter how much more comfortable Ducati makes its bikes, or how much more competitive, they are doomed to be ignored by Motorcycle.com in shootouts.

I believe the staff once stated that they'd be in a twins shootout, but that's pointless and a dissapointment for two reasons- First of all we never get too see how the 749 or 999 would fall in the pecking order compared to its ACTUAL competition. Second in this day and age every motorcycle journalist in the world recognizes that the Ducati really doesn't have any competition in the twins category in the United States. I mean does anyone think that there is an actual twin out there that's competitive with it?

The 749 deserves to be compared to the 600's and if people are going to say otherwise then it would make just as much sense to say the triumph 675 triple is in another category and shouldn't be in the comparo either.

SmokeU 04-20-2006 10:05 AM

Re: One extreme to the other

I'm a nice 5' 10" 250lb guy that would fit nicely too. :-D

johnnyb 04-20-2006 10:22 AM

Idiots, y not get R6 and yank one plug wire? Triumph is flash in the pan. Probly about to go tits up again. Failed to learn lessons of history...

staff 04-20-2006 10:27 AM

I love the 74X Ducatis! Perennial favorite bikes @MO, we all fight over the keys to them. It was only a few years ago where we were hammered for being all Ducati, all the time -- remember the "Whiry" flamebeating we took?

Sorry we didn't meet your expectations this year, but it looks like the 749 is getting passed by @MO. All we can give you is an honest answer as to why:

What we pick might seem arbitrary, and that's because it is -- we have to make some arbitrary demarcation in what we include in every test. Mostly we try to pick the best four, and if there's major gaps in coverage, we'll do another shootout and match the winner of the second up against the winner of the first shootout. See years past where we did open inlines, open twins, then best of the best.

The Duc 740-series -- in stock form -- consistently lose in head-to-head performance shootouts with the big four, and so we didn't request one. Doesn't mean they're not great or deserving, we just thought it was less competitive than the 675 and chose to use our resources to cover that bike. Yes, we are gearing up to do larger shootouts, but it'll take another six months to a year. Suffice it to say an eight-bike shootout is about four times harder than a four-bike shootout. Every try and get eight fast, alpha-male-types to all go in the same direction at the same time? I'm going with this: the fault here lies with American Male attitudes.

Just kidding MOmen, about the latter part at least. ;-)

The winner of this shootout is being set up to go heads-up against the GSX-R750, and for that we'll try and procure a 999, not a 7-series.

It's nothing against Ducatis, we all love riding them and we're picking up a long-term testbike today...

Beyond that, I promise we'll request a 749 next year if it's a current model, and try and include the special race models from all OEMs too.

So there you have it, straight talk and a MO Promise. That and -$0.02 will get you... incarcerated? Two-penniless and bitter? ;-)

Ta ta for now,

--Ashley

johnnyb 04-20-2006 10:39 AM

O Crashley! say "ta ta" again...

pdad13 04-20-2006 11:32 AM

Good God, man! You'll fracture the whole space-time continuum! Madness, I say, madness!

Why don't you just hop in a time machine and try to murder your mother before you were born!

sirken 04-20-2006 12:01 PM

Where are the lap times? Where are the 1/4 mile times? Come on guys, this is one of the most critical articles of the year -- that is critical data and it belongs in the shootout.

tokoloshgolem 04-20-2006 12:05 PM

Re:

Speed 675? It is speedy but it's called a Daytona 675.

Buzglyd 04-20-2006 12:35 PM

That and $4.00 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.