Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   2006 Suzuki GSR 600 (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/3504-2006-suzuki-gsr-600-a.html)

jeffreyc 04-18-2006 06:28 PM

Naked is good; 600cc is not for the US

I'm sure this is a nice bike. It certainly sounds like Suzuki did some homework. However, 600cc engines are not the right choice for naked bikes in the US.

When it comes to every day, comfortable streetbikes, Americans like their power on tap, not on top. The concept is good for sport riders on track days where the RPM are kept high anyway, but riders on the streets of Anycity USA want to crack the throttle and move ahead at a good pace without cranking the RPM to the ceiling.

Suzuki will be right to not bring this bike to the US. I honestly believe that this bike wouldn't sell well in the US. Experienced riders wouldn't buy it because it lacks the mid-range power, and new guys wouldn't buy it becasue they can buy real power for not too much more.

A 1000cc version of this bike would be appealing to me, but even then, I prefer torque to HP when riding a naked street bike.

I'll stick with my MT-01.

caffine 04-18-2006 08:14 PM

Re: 2006 Suzuki GSR 600

I think it's quite possible that the majority of potential first time buyers see only two kinds of bikes out there - cruisers and sport bikes. if a GSR 600 or a Honda 599 were parked on a showroom floor, newbies aren't likely to even see it, overlooked in favor of the rockets and cruisers flashy pastic and chrome. What else do they know? Usually don't see a standard on the cover of a magazine as a feature article.

To top off a further lack of selection education, If we do get the GSR, Suzuki will probably just ration out a few thousand, hardly enough to let us know they exist in the US. I've yet to see a 599 or 919 where I live. 2004 or 06. I know they're out there!

maxriderdon 04-19-2006 05:24 AM

Re: Make Us A 750/800cc Like The Ninja 650R

750/800 Parallel Twin would do me nicely, but with the looks and ergos or the Ninja 650R.

Stonedog 04-19-2006 09:24 AM

Re: Make Us A 750/800cc Like The Ninja 650R

BMW is coming out with an 800cc parallel twin some time soon - the F800S and F800ST I believe. Won't be anywhere near the value of the GSR600 or Ninja 650 though.

I must be one of the few that are considering a middleweight standard/nekkid for my first bike.

For me, it's a toss up between the SV650, FZ6 and Z750S. The Z750S is what I really want, but some feel that's too much power for a newb.

If Suzuki brings the GSR600 over here it will replace the SV on that short list.

Maybe that's another reason they won't bring it over here? They've already got a middleweight standard that is very successful in it's small niche - maybe they don't want to compete with their own SV650?

Heck, put a Bandit S style quarter fairing on the GSR600 and bring it to the US and I won't even consider the FZ6 or Z750S.

Jon

yossef 04-19-2006 10:09 AM

Me thinks its about time I got offered the honor.

In the mean time Gabe is coming over to visit and sample our bad food.

What about u?

DaveFla 04-19-2006 11:17 AM

Re: What About Individual Responsibility?

Aww, Gabe! Just when I thought I couldn't have any more respect for you, you go and post something like this!

Now, what are we all gonna do about it? I'm signed up for the AMA, but I hear that there's another group who are more effective at lobbying...

bigjames 04-19-2006 01:16 PM

Re: What About Individual Responsibility?

Oh freaking please....

easyeric601 04-19-2006 02:16 PM

I could definitely see this replacing the bandit since the time and money has already been spent on a new design. Just add a fairing or better yet, a removable windscreen. I also think there's niche market for this bike. When I finished my MSF training class I was spooked by the sport bikes and cruisers (rightly so). I opted for a 70s era Honda. If this were around then I probably would have been all over it. 98 hp might be a tad high for a first bike but it looks like it would be a great all rounder.

nil5 04-24-2006 06:29 PM

<blockquote>
In North America, you can't even buy a good 125-400cc bike [other than dirt bike] for transportation in the city or commute from the suburbs.
</blockquote>

Oh really? I ride one almost everyday to work. It's called a Ninja 250, and it's been around since 1987, and I get 60mpg.