Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-20-2001, 03:12 PM   #1
bimota
Founding Member

Default Go BKS!

I just went through the glove buying process myself. I went with BKS. I recommend the same to anyone thinking about the Dainese Full Pros. They are in the top price bracket, but once you see the gloves you know they're worth it. Layers of protection on everything. You can get custom colors for about the same price as the stock Dainese. The Dainese Full Pro looked like top dollar copies of the Teknics Violator II. The BKS customer service was great too.
bimota is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-20-2001, 03:51 PM   #2
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Default Re: Joe Rocket Speedmaster Feedback

You can't beat Vanson gloves. Simply the best. Period.
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2001, 04:28 PM   #3
SB8RC
Founding Member

Some one please tell me why Yamaha has to ruin motorcycling by making all of them dumb 4 strokes. I have enough pistons and 2 stroke oil to last forever. I will still be poluting the earth and kicking some 4 stroke ass with my RM 144
SB8RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2001, 04:45 PM   #4
Haga
Founding Member

I have a pair of the 2000 Speedmasters. I picked them up for $60 just after Christmas and I love them! Fortunately they do not have the little air vents, so I don't have to ditch them or have a second pair for cold/wet riding. I went with a red/white/black combo with gold carbon fiber on it. These gloves also have seperate wrist and gauntlet fastners which is typical of more expensive gloves, and a surprisingly big plus(especially for those of us with fat hand/thin wrist syndrome). It does a little bit for comfort but it's great for protection and confidence. I'd recomend these gloves especially for the $60($72 with shipping) you can find them for now.
Haga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2001, 07:19 PM   #5
static
Founding Member

I haven't bought gloves by the company, but I have the last generation Ballistic suit and pants. I am reasonably satisfied with the jacket but I am not really happy with the build quality of the pants--others I know have the same feelings about this suit. It has kept me from considering purchasing anything else from them.

On the other hand, the local shop has started carrying Joe Rocket apparel, and the overall fit and finish seems to be better than their previous workmanship. If I got a long term review of these gloves (and the ballistic 3.0 stuff) I might consider their stuff again.

As far as the gloves go, I am interested in things like the length of time it takes for the stitching to go, how long it takes for the nice soft liner to be ripped to shreds from put-on and removal, how resistant to fading in sunlight the leather colors are. Does the velcro hold up? How about the wrist closure--does it stretch too much over time? Are the pads in the glove the stiff closed cell stuff or the squishy memory foam? How is fingertip dexterity affected?

A couple of these questions could be answered right away, but the others I would like to see answered in, oh say, six months. I do not wish a crash test for you, though.

PS they are the coolest looking gloves I've seen from JR. How much are they?
static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2001, 08:33 PM   #6
blip
Founding Member

Competition Accessories has them for $135, that's about as cheap as I've seen them.

Dexterity is good, excellent in fact. All of the leather and stitching is of great quality, I don't think they'll wear out over the years.

As the story said, I keep my gear for years, I'm just not hard on stuff. Some people seem to waste gloves in less than a year without crashing, so maybe I'm not the best to answer your longevity questions.

I agree that Joe Rocket stuff is getting much better in quality, and am ashamed to admit I was a little apprehensive about testing their gloves -- they just haven't had the best reputation. I still don't know about the rest of their line, but these gloves are awesome.
blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2001, 02:49 AM   #7
tripm
Founding Member

Either Joe Rocket is buying Helds and rebadging them or Held has a good case to sue.
tripm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2001, 04:37 AM   #8
weak_link
Founding Member

Default Re: or Held

Try Held gloves. They are comfortable and offer top notch protection. Hellimont sells 'em as well as other good shops.
weak_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2001, 04:52 AM   #9
das
Founding Member

Default Re: Joe Rocket Speedmaster = Helds?

Man, I hope Joe Rocket is reselling Helds. Maybe then I can get some in my size. The folks at Helimot were always very nice, knowledgable, and professional, but not particularly helpful.

I waited 1 full year for a certain size (I don't recall the number, maybe size 11, I think) of their #277 glove, and have nothing to show for it. The folks at Helimot don't seem capable of ordering and getting particular gloves in particular sizes. They just get a box of gloves from Held, and whatever is in there is what they get.

I eventually gave up and bought some very nice Olympias. Helds might be he best gloves in the world, but if you can't get them in your size, they might as well not exist.
das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2001, 06:45 AM   #10
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Brent,

You're right about the original quality of Joe Rocket stuff... I have a Ballistic series 2 piece suit, and it's "ok" at best. One of the velcro waist adjustment straps (there are 4) ripped off of my suit after a month, though that was the last thing to just fall off... so far. It also seems to fit kind of funny... when I got it, in order to get it broad enough through the shoulders and long enough in the sleeves, the chest was way too big, and bunched/rode up on me. This has not been a problem with other brands I've since tried on. On the other hand, a friend of mine bought the new Ballistic 2 piece for his wife, and it seems to be MUCH better.