Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-21-2001, 08:09 AM   #11
tdmpilot
Founding Member

Default Re: or Held

Ditto on the Held gloves. I've got several pairs and couldn't be happier with them. They are extremely comfortable and require absolutely no break in time. They are expensive but you get what you pay for. You can also find them at Moto Market in Acton, Mass.

www.motomkt.com

tdmpilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-21-2001, 10:53 AM   #12
dbr
Founding Member

Default Re: Joe Rocket Speedmaster Feedback

you might not be able to beat 'em but they

sure dont last...w/in a week the velcro patch

tore off mine...total crap for 100+ bucks !

dbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2001, 10:57 AM   #13
dbr
Founding Member

Default Re: Joe Rocket Speedmaster = Helds?

my experiance was COMPLETELY different they sized me, but didnt

have the color (plain ole black) in my size, w/in 4 weeks they

called saying they had what id requested and did i still want 'em.

imagine that they ordered 'em for me and didnt charge me til they

shipped...corbin should try this...and get this MIKE CORBIN you

wanker...they have a return policy too...dont like 'em or they

dont FIT you return 'em for a FULL refund !
dbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2001, 11:49 AM   #14
das
Founding Member

Default Re: Joe Rocket Speedmaster = Helds?

Don't get me wrong, I would recommend Helimot to others, I'm just disappointed that I never got the gloves that I wanted. I sent them an outline trace of my hands, and they sent me a pair of gloves within a couple weeks.

The look, feel, and build quality of the gloves was as high as everyone says. Problem was that the fingers were just a bit too short, and dug into the tips of my fingers. I called Helimot, described the problem, and they recommended that I send the gloves back for the next largest size.

I sent them back, but they didn't have any in the larger size in stock. They refunded the money on my credit card, so no issues there. Problem was, they never seemed to get that size in that style (I was flexible on the color scheme by this time).

Like I said, they were always very nice, knowledgable and professional, but the bottom line is that they weren't able to get me the gloves.

das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2001, 01:34 PM   #15
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

#1 Why the hell did you get a pair of vansons with velcro? The best ones are zippered. Cheapo.

#2 They would have fixed them, must have been an exceptional mistake, I've never seen higher quality clothing from anyone.
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2001, 04:47 PM   #16
folski
Founding Member

Very interesting comments about Joe Rocket and their quality improvement. My only experience is with a pair of boots (the Bullet boot) which I bought on-line after some recommendations. I sent them back after only having them on for a few minutes. Absolute junk that I wouldn't expect to last a single season --- this after having a pair of Georgia boots that have lasted through 90,000 miles over about 10 years and all kinds of weather. Nope, can't say that I'm very interested in giving Joe Rocket another chance...

And would somebodey PLEEEZE explain to me what this non-functional carbon BS on everything is all about? Cabon-look decals for your bodywork, carbon appliques for your top triple clamp, and now carbon knuckle pads on gloves? Give me a break. Don't try to lecture me on the benefits of carbon. I've been working with carbon composites for nearly 20 years in everything from rockets to robots to airplanes to sporting goods. I know carbon, what it's good for and what it's not. All the carbon on your knuckles is going to do is give you momentary impact protection before it busts into nasty little shards which will then render your gloves junk. Seems to me there are a whole lot of people out there who just have to have the coolest thing whether it works or not...

Kevlar - now that's got actual application in protective apparel. You go down with Kevlar, you're going to get good protection, the Kevlar will scuff up but in most cases won't wear through, and they'll be scarred up, but the gloves should still be perfectly functional.

Oh - and that "gold colored carbon" that one reviewer mentioned? Most knowledgable people would refer to that as Kevlar. Carbon is black - period.

folski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2001, 05:24 PM   #17
TheBronze
Founding Member

Joe Rocket gear:

Sucks. It is very well though out in design. However, construction is bad. Seams tear out, and leak. Buttons break. And this is on the new 3.0 stuff. I would not reccomend it to anybody.

Regarding carbon fibre. I could not agree more with you! I am so sick of the whole "carbon" thing. You can get carbon look stickers to attach to your frame? Give me a break! This is for trendy toe dragging wannabees. I would like to see a real carbon fibre frame for a motorcycle. Or any other application that needs weight savings. That would kick ass. Mountain bikes have them and they work great. Of course, it would have to be painted. The raw look of carbon fibre is pretty boring. I would consider carbon replacements for things like muffler hangers and rear sets. But again, paint them. Even if it is just plain black. Paint it!

The carbon look is just a trendy gimmic. Soon it will fade away, just like garish splashy paint schemes from the late 80's/early 90's. I was glad to see them go and will be just as glad to see fake carbon add on's dissappear.
TheBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2001, 01:54 AM   #18
telliot647
Founding Member

Default Re: Joe Rocket Speedmaster Feedback -> Carbon Fiber

There is some useful carbon fiber stuff out there. I've seen cf wheels, swingarms (for Ducks) and gas tanks. I think they look pretty cool, but it's the weight savings that is really awesome. The stuff weighs next to nothing, especially when compared to a stock piece.
telliot647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2001, 03:26 AM   #19
Haga
Founding Member

Being the owner of the comment about "gold carbon fiber" I would like to say yes, it is carbon fiber, and yes, there is a gold material covering it. Kevlar is a fabric, not a solid material. Most knowledgeable people would know that.
Haga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2001, 06:16 AM   #20
bugsplatter
Founding Member

Haga, are you sure?

I don't work for Dupont but its my understanding that kevlar is a fiber or thread much like good old carbon fiber. Of course matbe I'm smoking too much crack again but I'd swear I ve seen carbon fiber weave become hard after the addition of epooxy and heat. THink kevlar does the same as I can remember adding it to fibercglass cloth for a little more strenght and tear resistance. Of course my craCK HABIT IS GETTING A BIT OUT OF HAND.

Hope you are not smoking any...

bugsplatter is offline   Reply With Quote