Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-03-2006, 07:44 PM   #71
ofreen
Registered Member

Default Re: '06 Suzuki Boulevard M109R

$12,399. Hmmm, only 400 bucks more than an RC51. What to do, what to do....
ofreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2006, 03:53 AM   #72
SBZREX
Registered Member

So is it as powerfull as the article (faster than the Kawi etc..) says it is? I figured it was a re-badged Vulcan. How's the fit and finish?

Thanks.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:18 AM   #73
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Kinda looks like the offspring of a V-Rod & a Honda 150 Dreamcycle...

Dig the top-end on that motor though. Looks vely industrial. Maybe the next big quantum leap in cruiser design will employ a motor with pistons the size of Volkswagens. Have some catwalks & ladders so you can get to the spark plugs.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:21 AM   #74
maxriderdon
Founding Member

Re-badged Vulcan? No, not even close, apples to oranges. Fit and finish? Go see one for yourself, they are in dealer showrooms by now. Faster than a VTX1800 - slower than a V-Max or Rocket III.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:46 AM   #75
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default Still a Harley clone.

I'll stay with Harley. At least I know that it will be worth something once it motors off the dealers lot. I mean, why buy a new Jap bike when if you just wait, you can get it for 1/2 price with low miles. And the replacement and maintenance parts are way over priced. They change each model so much that the parts are low volume and high price. I've owned plenty of Jap bikes and know this is true. Ask yourself how many Harley salvage lots are around? None, and that's because Harleys are always rebuilt and never scrapped. No so with Jap bikes. The bike devalues so fast that to rebuild with the high priced dealer bought parts is rarely done. That is why they have the Jap bike salvage businesses. Thank God for them if you need parts for your Jap bike. They get 1/2 price for their used parts. The only plus in all these fakers is that they force the Motor Company to innovate and improve.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 06:25 AM   #76
abogado
Registered Member

I didn't notice that it wasn't an MO review, but I stopped reading the article as soon as I got to the part where he actually thinks shrouding the frame in plastic was a good thing. I don't think the MO writers, even if they did like that crap, would have let that go without more commentary. One thing I like about this magazine is that is isn't afraid to call shinola what it is. I don't even read the major print mags anymore. Suzuki is shooting itself in the foot.
abogado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 09:26 AM   #77
mikenomad
Founding Member

Default Re: A Journalistic Glass Ceiling?

It's a shame that MO and other online publications are running into the journalistic equivalent of a glass ceiling.

You'd think that the manufacturers would welcome the rapid dissemination of new product information that online publications offer.

If you want to start a buzz, it would seem like the Internet would be the place to do it, rather than having to plant the story six months in advance and hoping that it reaches the newsstand at a strategically beneficial time.

I can understand that manufacturers see print publications as having a longer half-life. The cover photo of your bike is going to inspire multiple re-readings as long as the magazine sits on the coffee table, on the shelf in the bathroom, or in the bike shop waiting room. An article in an online mag may or may not inspire re-readings, depending on the interests of the person visiting the site.

But Internet publications are here to stay, and people do read them, and they do have the impulse advantage -- all you have to do is click.

But that said, I'm not sure what it will take for manufacturers to start making new models as accessible to online mags as they do to print mags.

Before I wrote this, I was about to ask, "When are we going to see the next muscle-cruiser shootout with the M109R compared with the Vulcan 2000, VTX1800, etc.?"

Obviously I should be addressing that question to Suzuki and the other manufacturers.

I remember how long it took before Triumph got around to handing over a Rocket III. So I'm not holding my breath.
mikenomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 11:23 AM   #78
mikenomad
Founding Member

Default Re: DUAL-PIN OR SINGLE-PIN CRANK?

Does it have a dual-pin (like the VTX1800) or single-pin (like the Vulcan 2000) crankshaft?

With big, narrow-angle cruiser V-twins, aesthetics are everything. It has to sound right.
mikenomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 01:31 PM   #79
sethch
Registered Member

"I'll stay with Harley. At least I know that it will be worth something once it motors off the dealers lot. I mean, why buy a new Jap bike when if you just wait, you can get it for 1/2 price with low miles." -electraglider_1997

I knew one of you Harley lemmings would have to say something lame like that!

There is something you Harley guys donÂ’t get, I know because my Dad is one of you and we have this argument all the time. IÂ’d rather be riding a motorcycle than pinching pennies in hope of buying the "real thing" (as you guys call it). This bike or any one of itÂ’s "faker" equivalents would smoke a Harley every day of the week and twice on Sunday for $5k+ cheaper which sweetens the deal that much more.

There is something that us sport bike riders say that you Baby Boomer Harley owners need to learnÂ…

ItÂ’s not what your riding, as long as you are riding!

"Ask yourself how many Harley salvage lots are around?"

Because the Harley owner got raped on that bike so now he is going to ride it until the wheels fall off and then sell it to some other sucker that is Oooed and Ahhhed by the Harley nameÂ…and the vicious cycle continues. If your going to look at your motorcycle as a business investment then why not go out and buy yourself a $60k custom! They hold their value too?! Any reason you give to that question would be my answer to why I won't buy a Harley. I think it's too much money for what it is, but I'm not going to go trash Harleys anytime MO does and article on one because I think that though.

"And the replacement and maintenance parts are way over priced"

Oh my god, coming from a Harley rider that is the funniest thing I have ever heard!

A friend was a recent convert to Harley. He likes it but said he has to set a paycheck aside if he wants to get a tune-up on the thing. Last time I got my SV1000 tuned upÂ…$200, parts and labor, out the door.

Sorry to go off on a bit of a rant but I can not stand when people say "itÂ’s still not a harley".

Not only does that argument lack logic but it lacks any common sense.

If you want to ride a Harley for whatever reason, great! IÂ’ll see you out on the road and ride with you every weekend but donÂ’t trash a bike because of where itÂ’s made or how much it will be worth in a couple years.

sethch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 03:29 PM   #80
bigdx
Founding Member

Default How about this.

It is a piece of ***** like every Suzuki. The fact that it smells of burning rice and will be worth nothing next year is secondary.

Does that make you feel better Pookie?

BTW, it isn't a Harley and never will be. You can pretend all you like.
bigdx is offline   Reply With Quote