Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-10-2006, 08:49 AM   #111
anrajala
Founding Member

Default Re: No, YOU're missing the point

What do you mean "If I wanted to ride sh*t, I would have bought sh*t"? Considering that V-Rod is heavier and has less torque and less power than 20 yr old V-Max, you did exactly that.

- cruiz-euro

anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-12-2006, 05:33 AM   #112
jonnyspeed
Founding Member

Default Re: '06 Suzuki Boulevard M109R

I with you man. I'm 32 and I've been riding sportbikes for 12 years. I'm getting bored with the inline 4. It has no character. I'm also tiring (pun intended) of the ever increasingly painful ergonomics. The good roads are 2-3 hours from where I live... That's 4-6 hours of riding just to get there and back! I think I'd be better served by something more comfortable and easy to live with riding in my own area. I currently own a Z1000 which does a decent job of being a comfortable sportbike, but it really doesn't want to go slow. To be comfortable you need to ride it 65-85mph. I find that I just want to enjoy the ride and not play boy racer anymore. I am in love with the design of the M109R! VERY sporty! I wish it weighed about 100 lbs less, but if the suspension and the brakes are up to it it could be all good. Can't wait to ride one. This could be the bike I'm looking for... or maybe the Yami Warrior....
jonnyspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 10:10 AM   #113
youdaman
Registered Member

Major changes nowadays to the reaction by Harley riders to rice burners versus 20-25 years ago. Back in college, I got reactions ranging from no response to having the bird shot at me when I was riding my Suzuki 550 past a Harley rider. Now, I ride a Honda CBR-1100xx, and almost ALL riders wave as they ride by, as do I.

I think there is more of a "we cycle riders need to stick together" philosophy today. I certainly believe that.
youdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 07:19 AM   #114
lcarlson
Founding Member

Default Re: Why a

I too find the M109R to be an intriguing new design -- a cruiser for those who want some degree of sporting performance and more power. However, as I think about it, exactly what is the purpose of this 694 pound beast? The whole idea of a cruiser (to my mind) does not much encompass the performance side of motorcycling. Rather, it's to enjoy the comfortable, spread-out, relaxing experience of riding a bike with a big engine that is not "busy" feeling. It' s to ride a bike that is strong but not particularly fast, in short, a bike that's fun to ride slowly.

For cruising, I have a Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Nomad that excels at this type of riding, and which, for good measure, has been enhanced so that it is also fine for long distance riding (at a relaxed pace). It weighs even more than the M109R (but not much), and it's acceleration is fine for what it's intended for. It doesn't need any more power than it has.

On the other hand, if you want a big-torque V-twin with more performance for the street, why choose a 694 pound behemoth? I also have a Buell M2 Cyclone that has a simple, low maintennance 1200 cc V-twin that is a fine nimble-handling street sportbike. It has substantially less power than the M109R, but it also weighs only 438 pounds! When you add my weight to that of the 109 and to the Cyclone and compare the HP to weight ratios, the Cyclone comes out slightly better.

The M109R looks like a fine machine (and I've seen one in person), but I really wonder what the point of a "performance cruiser" really is.
lcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 10:29 PM   #115
Swed2th
Founding Member

Does that mean you picked up a M109r already? Our Dealer in Gilroy was clueless about the 109. With the beautiful pipes, where do you put storage for distance cruising, I wonder? I'm happy for the plastic parts, and hope that breeds a little convertibility.
Swed2th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 10:46 PM   #116
Swed2th
Founding Member

The beautiful Harley exhaust note still rings for me, and the infinite aftermarket sure is attractive, until I add up all the time I spent looking in catalogues and trying to make up my mind ... when I should be out riding!

The comfort of my Suzuki 1500 beats all, but I have been longing for the power to keep that front wheel up a little longer. How would you describe the exhaust note? What kinda mileage? Have you thought about setting the 109 up for a longer tour? I've been waiting for this bike, but wonder if the techno wrappings it has will fit or if there will be a tourer package with a low 2-1 tailpipe to allow big bags.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:54 PM   #117
Swed2th
Founding Member

So how does it sound at low and high RPM? Too heavy to snub the VMax? With the engine build, probably not much aftermarket stuff like the pushrodders ... except nitrous. Is she stingy on gas? Wonder how much weight is in the exhaust system? Would it help to fill that back tire with Helium?
Old 05-10-2006, 04:16 AM   #118
maxriderdon
Founding Member

Default Re: Why a

"The M109R looks like a fine machine (and I've seen one in person), but I really wonder what the point of a "performance cruiser" really is."

No one will probably read this but, I can't believe the above question. Point is avg. cruiser handling sux. These are major improvements in handling, no not true sportbike handling, but handling which might save your rear in an emergency. If you have not had a close call yet you will.