Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-31-2006, 05:01 PM   #41
obandoj
Founding Member

Default Re: Into the Cherokee Nation

That sure is a very good write, a very beautiful area and a very sad and shameful piece of history, and I am sure they did it in the name of GOD!
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-01-2006, 06:18 AM   #42
bigjames
Premium Member

Well, there goes another nice place to ride! Hope you all enojy it, but since it has been written about, expect a little more law enforcement for a while! Being from Georgia and part Cherokee, I love the place. The history of it really $ucks, but it is beautiful. Also never forget, Andy Jackson had his life saved by a Cherokee. nice way of returning the favor!

Now about the ride, State Parks and what Francis missed! Almost all Georgia State Parks have wonderful facilities. Makes it mighty easy to do a multi day ride, fairly cheap! The falls are nice, but there are better places in the area, just get a map and start poking around. Avoid GA 400 at all costs in the afternoon rush. It is truly bad, full of Yuppies in big a$$ suvs driving in a mindless fashion. You have been warned. There are several alternatives and I ain't tellin' you all about my favorites! Get a map, it's pretty easy to avoid. If you have gotten all the way to Dahlonega, instead of heading back to Atlanta on GA 60, go the other way and ride 20 miles or so of mighty fine twisty road and check out TWO (Two Wheelers Only). Have to be on or towing a bike to camp. Excellent food and the owners (not the guy who used to own it, but GT and Britt) are great folks! The guy who used to own it was/is a bit of an SOB and used to run folks off, so if the place left a bad impression back in the day, it won't anymore...It also happens to be at the end of GA 180, the twistiest 11 miles of road in Georgia. Only place I have ever seen where the bicycles are told to share the road! Have had some problems with our human powered bretheren up there! They used to ride 3 or 4 abreast and would not move, until they started getting tickets! At the other end of 180, you'll be on GA 129/19, head towards Blairsville and you are on your way to the Dragon. I quit going there after a little BMW Rally a few years ago (the police were less than friendly, and yes, a BMW rally) and really don't like meeting idiots going 110% on a public road (that is about to be straightened, bye-bye dragon). Along the way to TWO you'll come to an intersection with a large pile of stones. Legend has it a Cherokee Princess is buried there. Supposed to put a stone there for luck or something like that (so much Cherokee history up there, so few Cherokee, very sad). So, thanks MO for Fing up another one of my favorite places to ride, but then again, the more the merrier! Just one request, the folks up there for the most part are very tolerant of motorcycles. Sport Bikes being ridden at 100% really pi$$ off the locals, they like the Harley riders because, up there at least, they ride politely and most try to keep the noise down, unbelievable but true. Again, you have been warned.

Couple of things to watch out for. On the second weekend in June, there be sidecars all over the place up there. Georgia Sidecar Rally is at TWO that weekend. Look out for these ponderous beasts. They love to slide around left hand corners at some pretty incredible speeds, but tip toe around the right hand ones (flying a sidecar at speed is not as much fun as one would think)! The First weekend of June, Francis' loop is partially occupied by the Ride For Kids. Several thousand bikes riding for the Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation, led by sidecars at parade speeds.

See you all up there!
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 06:22 AM   #43
bigjames
Premium Member

God had nothing to do with it. Not sure why folks keep posting that. Most of the Cherokees at that point were Christians already any how. They found GOLD up there. That is the real reason the Cherokees were run off. So please, stop blaming the Christians. We didn't have anything to do with this one...
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 02:56 PM   #44
obandoj
Founding Member

Sorry dude, but the Europeans did it in the name of GOD in South America, South Africa, Australia, North America, India, Indonesia, I could go on and on and on. You see the Europeans had guns, the natives had sticks, spears and rocks, nice even fight eh?

Also do not forget that gold was GOD to Europeans, to natives it was a yellow metal that was easy to work with, no more no less!
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 04:45 PM   #45
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Someone's fishing again...
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 01:40 PM   #46
Vlad
Registered Member

Right you are. My wife would not even consider the seat on the XB9SX. The 12Ss is only a few inches longer, but those inches make a real difference. It's built on the same basic frame as the Ulysses, which I would have bought except that it was a bit tall for my 30 inch inseam.

V
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote