Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-31-2006, 03:18 AM   #21
maladg
Registered Member

Default Re: Into the Cherokee Nation

Nice job, Francis. I highly recommend the area, too. I have fond memories of my Dad taking me to Chief Vann's home, New Echota, Etowah Mounds, etc, in the early 60's. These sites are in a valley just west of the Appalachians. The valley is a geological demarcation between hard rock mts to the east & north and limestone "Ridge & Valley" country to the west. My Dad & I used to root around for fossils on streambeds just west of the Vann house. Aquatic fossils from Devonian & earlier times.

Just an observation: sometimes too much of a good thing ain't so good. Thus the GA mts are becoming so danged crowded that like the Great Yogi said: "nobody goes there anymore - too crowded". Francis' loop is a great starting point for having a quaff of the cure for overcrowded resort areas.

For those who live within reasonable riding distance or are treking down to ride The Dragon, try out not only Francis's loop, but try NW GA, NE AL & TN around Chattanooga including Monteagle, Sequatchie Valley and on and on. Did you know that there is a Trials Bike Resort a bit west of Suwannee, TN ( just west of Monteagle on US 41 ALT?

maladg is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-31-2006, 03:22 AM   #22
maladg
Registered Member

About 10 years ago, I was in Cullman, AL on business. Dragged my big butt outta the rack early to go do a loss control assessment in a mega sized mobile home plant (insert tornado & $100 dollar bill jokes here). As I headed to the car (sorry, on business, expenses and all that crap) there is was: a Hudson Hornet with a boat trailer attached AND a 14 or 15' Jon boat aboard with full fishing gear. (Lewis Smith Lake is close by).

Mid- 90s....vintage and apparently unrestored Hudson towing a boat/trailer combo. Not a common sight at all.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 03:25 AM   #23
bigdx
Founding Member

No pc's, no internet, no MO ... I see the terrible shame some folks feel has not stopped them using "the white man's magic".
bigdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 03:27 AM   #24
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Is the Diebold voting machine argument over? Shoot! I got to Las Vegas for four days and come home thinking John Kerry is president.

longride you got ta save these flamewars for when I'm around to intereject various insults.

Oh, uh, nice story.

Nighty night zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 04:50 AM   #25
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Things were getting boring, so I thought I would shake things up a little. I was wondering where the hell you were.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:58 AM   #26
Vlad
Registered Member

The Buell ran great. It didn't miss a beat and was a real pleasure in the twisties.

Vlad
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 05:02 AM   #27
Vlad
Registered Member

I was not expecting my wife to be comfortable, even on the Lightning Long. Strangely, she was. She enjoyed the ride a great deal, and she is not tiny, more like an "average" build for a woman. Though the bike is not as comfortable for her as my VFR, she still found it comfy. The accomodations for the rider are excellent. The "S" Buells have a near upright riding position.

Vlad
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 06:46 AM   #28
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Cherry!
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 07:10 AM   #29
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

My wife can't walk after about 20 minutes on the back of the old XB9SX.

Passenger seat looks like a postage stamp if you ask me. Must be better on the Ss.

Old 03-31-2006, 07:36 AM   #30
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Believe it or not, I'm one of the last surviving members of the Slapahoe tribe. Our rituals kick ass!